20 July 2011 – Thank you!

July 20th, 2011 § 10 comments

20 July 2011

Dress – thrifted
Sandals – Target
Earrings – gift from A.

Dear readers,

I hadn’t intended to post again as I’m less than a week before my due date and my mind’s on a million other things. I had my “Top Ten” post all ready for the other Chics to publish for me in case I wasn’t around to do it myself at the end of this month and, with that, I thought I had said my goodbyes.

But reading your comments has made me sad and unwilling to leave it quite at that. (Blame it on the pregnancy hormones, but you guys got me all choked up!) So I thought I’d pop back in just to say another resounding THANK YOU to all of you who have been reading, commenting on, recommending, questioning, challenging, and supporting our site.

In yesterday’s comments, one reader asked how much we attributed our style choices to this blog and how we anticipate our style changing in the absence of posting. I’m not sure how to answer that question because I’m sure that my style has been influenced by participating in this online ‘style blogging’ community, but more so than acquiring an eye for trends, participating in this community has very much affected my approach to many theoretical concepts…

How do I use clothing to present myself as an academic, to perform gender, to display/downplay my ethnicity, to support consumer culture, to NOT support consumer culture, and to make more self-conscious choices every time I open my wallet or my closet door.

It’s one thing when you ponder these things on your own and it’s something else entirely to put your thoughts into words for thousands of people to read in one day. It makes you extremely aware of the things you say (and think) and forces you to take a more critical eye to your own writing and thinking. As much as graduate school has challenged me in this way, I can honestly say that our readers have done so just as much. So thank you for such thought-provoking conversations and critical inquiries that have definitely altered and shaped my thinking and writing over the past two and a half years.

As already mentioned in yesterday’s post, I move into a new stage of my life that sees me mothering a girl. Our conversations here on gender roles, gendering, and feminism will undoubtedly influence how I raise her and the values I will seek to instill in her. Similarly, these regular conversations with you, our readers, and with my co-bloggers will leave a lasting mark on how I think about and put into words my thoughts on two gender focused projects I will be tackling this coming year; my dissertation and another writing project in the works.

20 July 2011 20 July 2011

So I guess what I am trying to say is that more than the visual appreciation for aesthetics and style that has been born of this project, I take with me a deeper appreciation for considering, critiquing, and questioning topics of gender and society in relation to the media and the fashion world at hand. If you’re a new-comer to our site, I urge you to take a look at those posts (housed in our Theoretical Archives) in particular and to not skip the comments, which add a richer and more complex take on each point we raised as well.

And for those of you who asked, yes, I will continue to be around on Simply Bike. The focus of that blog is different from this one but I always welcome your comments and visits and appreciate any drop-ins from those so inclined. S.

Farewell for now...

Tagged , ,

§ 10 Responses to 20 July 2011 – Thank you!"

1. Ruth says:

As I’m just beginning my own pregnancy-in-academia adventure, I will definitely be going back through the archives to see you and E gracefully adapting your wardrobes to accommodate a growing baby. It’s been really cool and inspiring to be privy to the momentous changes you’ve all been through – marriages, babies, travel, haircuts (seriously!). Thank you for sharing!

2. Bex says:

Thank you all…. This blog has been very inspiring to me ‘theoretically,’ as someone who studies beauty, body, sexuality. It has also been personally inspiring as I transition from body insecurity to something more loving, from a higher weight to a lower, more healthy one, from hiding my self to becoming more fully present. Luckily I have not read the entire blog, so I will console myself with a systematic reading backwards. On the plus side, the absence of Academichic might just lower my clothing bills, as I tend toward some impulsive ‘that looks great on her – I must find one for myself!’ purchasing.

Thanks to all of you for being so authentic, sincere, thoughtful, and diligent in service of entertaining AND informing so many of us. Best wishes to all.

3. Thanks for sharing this post, S! The first time I came across Academichic, one of your theoretically minded posts was at the top, and that is definitely what got me hooked on the blog. I have continued to enjoy seeing what outfits you ladies put together, but it is really the content of the more thoughtful posts that kept me thinking, kept me coming back, and which I will miss the most.

4. Daria says:

Thank you, S., for all the time and energy you have put into this site which has delighted me for solong! I wish you all the best with your delivery and I am absolutely sure you will be a great mother. I will be following you on Simply Bike!

5. Suzanne says:

So sad to see you guys go! I am ending my 1st trimester with my second baby and I was just reading your blog post about biking while pregnant. We bike a bit, and have found a great seat for our little girl who is about 1.5 yrs now. It is called the ibert and it is a seat that fits on the front of the bike, rather than the back. So, definitely check it out when you start shopping for a seat for your little one. And congrats on the impending birth!

6. Kitty says:

Thank you, S! It has been really inspirational to me to read your posts, especially since beginning my own pregnancy adventure five months ago. I wish you a safe, healthy and happy delivery – see you on the flip side!

PS: That dress is *gorgeous*!!! I would definitely keep that around in your closet, even for post-pregnancy.

7. Sara says:

No no, thank YOU for sharing so much and contributing to such an enjoyable website! :D

8. Petra says:

Thank you S. for dropping in one more time and sharing your thoughts. Thanks to all the other chicks for this great blog.

9. I’m so crushed you’re leaving the internets (maybe because my dissertation seems to be neverending…) but want to come out of lurk-dom to thank S and all the chics for such inspiration. I’m so glad we’ll still be seeing you on Simply Bike!

10. N says:

Thank you for everything, S., especially for returning to the blog these last few months. Your style has been a great inspiration for me, and though I will likely never be pregnant, I’ve continued to find inspiration from your choices. I have also found all of your theoretical posts to be both fascinating, and relevant to my life as a former academic and as a current teacher of disadvantaged, immigrant women. More than once you have made me see something in my classroom differently, always for the better.

Good luck with the baby, the teaching, and the dissertation.