Trying to Stay Cool in the Midwest

Floral Skirt

• Skirt – Old Navy Sundress chopped by me
  • Tank – Ann Taylor Loft
  • Belt – Small Store in SF
  • Shoes – Kenneth Cole Reaction
  • Necklace – a lonely earring on a chain

What they are saying on the news is true  – IT’S HOT IN THE MIDWEST.  So, you can expect to see lots of this straps, light skirts, and curly hair from me.  I’ve mostly been wearing shorts and tanks these days (or my swimsuit) while playing with toddlers.  So for a coffee/work date with a friend, I pulled out the heels.

This skirt used to be a dress, that just didn’t get enough use in it’s original state, so I chopped it.  I’ve been getting more adventurous with my scissors lately (and working on my limited sewing skills) and chopped three other garments just over the weekend.  I’ll try to post some results for my scissor session in the next couple weeks.   I just figure if the are old and/or cheap and I’m not wearing them anyway, why not attempt to give them new life.  The worst that could happen?  I end up with scrap fabric for when I eventually do master my sewing machine.

What about you?  Do you fearlessly chop?  Are you make impulsive (yet fairly permanent) alterations?

A.

Floral Skirt

Tagged , ,

§ 10 Responses to Trying to Stay Cool in the Midwest"

1. Terri says:

This chop turned out beautifully!

2. Mia says:

I don’t think I’ve ever thought about altering a garment so drastically, but you did a great job! It looks super classy. Also, that shade of brown goes great with your coloration. I might just try a few chops of my own to give some of those old garments some new life…

3. Amie says:

I had a pair of jeans I only ever wore when all my others were in the wash and during the floods earlier this year I chopped them down to shorts out of sheer desperation (it was stinking hot and we were without power for nearly a week). Now they’re my favourite shorts and I wear them all the time. Prior to that I was always quite hesitant to take scissors to my clothes, but now I’m doing it all the time.

4. Kim says:

I’ve gotten more adventurous about chopping, thanks to a summer of following style blogs. Last week I chopped an ankle-length dress to just above the knee so I feel less frumpy in the dress. And your post today is inspiring me to chop the top off a printed sundress that doesn’t get much wear.

5. Tia says:

I tend toward non-permanent radical alterations. Mostly because my last impulsive chop left me without any jeans at all, because I cut too short and made them utterly unwearable.

I really like the color of that tank too. :3

Also, ugh, yes. It is too hot. ._.

6. Page says:

A-I’m wondering what you did with the waist of the dress turned skirt? Did you just leave it kind of rough and throw the belt over? Looks really cute as a skirt! I’m always hesitant to chop without the guidance of a more needle/sewing machine savvy friend.

7. Ruth says:

I’ve made shorts out of pants and skirts out of favorite old jeans, but I’ve never done a chop this extreme. I’m getting tempted to try it though, because, A, this look is amazing! (Also, it seems more work-friendly and likely to get used in this new incarnation).

I’m with Page: how did you handle finishing the waist of the new skirt??

8. You’re so tan! I’m jealous hehe =)

9. Cindy says:

I remake clothes all the time. My mom is a seamstress, so I’ve been sewing from a very young age. I also shop clearance racks almost exclusively. Many times it is less expensive to buy something that’s been reduced but needs changes than it is to make a similar article from scratch!

10. [...] had proportions that just didn’t work right for me. In the case of my full blue skirt and my white and black floral skirt, as dresses they had empire waists and were a little too short on me.  Chopping off the tops [...]