14 July 2011 – Almost there

July 14th, 2011 § 39 comments

Summer time

Tee – maternity shirt from Target
Skirt – thrifted
Sandals – AE years ago
Necklaces – two thrifted ones worn intertwined

Well, dear readers, it’s getting close. I’m almost 39 weeks now and expecting the arrival of my little one any day now. These days I’ve outgrown even most of my maternity clothes and am living in a few select tops and my super comfortable hippie skirts. Although I’m wary of spending money on anything new, I did stop by the local thrift store and was excited to come across this green and fuchsia paisley skirt. It’s not a maternity item (most of my clothing weren’t actually maternity, but just things bought a size or two up) but it’s the right size and it has a nice wide elastic waist panel, which makes it perfect for wearing under my belly.

I know that everyone is different when it comes to the waistband question during pregnancy. Some women really like the snug feel of the ‘full panel‘, which comes up and over your belly. I discovered that I hate the feel of anything clinging to my belly and have worn all my maternity items rolled under to fit underneath the ‘bump’. This has made it easy enough to convert non-maternity items into matenity items: I just shopped for things with an elastic waist or drawstring waist that fit snuggly enough over my hips and could sit rolled under my belly.

Which camp do you/did you fall into? The full panel or the low rise?

Cycling with Baby

These days, I’m trying to get all those last minute things ready before baby comes. Last edits on my dissertation chapter, final touches on a birth plan, last must-do’s around the house… so you may be seeing less of me as I use my coming days (hopefully, not weeks) to take care of odds and ends and prepare for the little one’s arrival.

And yes, I’m still riding my bike in moderation. It’s been really nice to continue with a routine of prenatal yoga, cycling, and swimming until the end. If you want to read more about cycling (and excercising) while pregnant, you can find my entries on that topic here.

And in case we don’t ‘see’ each other before the birth, wish me luck!

Tagged , , ,

§ 39 Responses to 14 July 2011 – Almost there"

1. Cathy says:

Best wishes, both for your continued preparation and for the birth itself!

2. Starling says:

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed watching your pregnancy style through the past few months. Congratulations on the wee ‘un, and best wishes till we see you again!

3. Marci says:

You have looked beautiful throughout your pregnancy and you continue to in your final days! I have enjoyed watching your style evolve with your changing body. Good luck and enjoy every moment with your precious baby! I welcomed my daughter this time last year.

4. Lisa says:

Best wishes to you and your family! I hope your little one arrives soon. I’ve really enjoyed seeing your pregnancy styles. Having never been pregnant myself I hope to be as stylish when I am.

5. Emily says:

Nice triad!

6. dotty says:

i am so excited for you and your husband! when my sister was pregnant with her first baby she rode her bike right up until the end too!

7. s says:

Good luck! You’re looking great, and I hope feeling great too! Love that pic of your doggie looking up at you :)

8. Jane W. says:

Sending good thoughts your way. Your little girl will be so lucky to have such wonderful parents.

(btw, I was an over-the-bump-er, 9 years ago).

9. Rachel W. says:

Best of luck with the new little one!

My husband’s advisor keeps assuring us that we should time our first baby for when he’s ABD. We’ll see: that’s a good way off, but I’m glad to store up inspiration for then, now. It’s so inspiring how both you and E. have managed to keep your own vibrant styles through your pregnancies! Foolish me for thinking that maternity wear had to be bland and personality-obscuring!

• admin says:

Hi Rachel,

My husband and I are both ABD now and I do have to say that it’s nice to have all the course work behind us. Although my husband still has to go in to the lab (he’s in the Sciences), it’s nice to have the flixibilty that working on our dissertation provides us. I think it would be harder if we still had classes to take or comps/prelims to prepare for.

But with that said, no time is the right time and any time is as good as any ;) There’s always something one can wait on, but if you decide that the time is right for you to start a family, then you’ll make it work.

Good luck to you two!

S.

10. Michelle says:

I’m jealous of your skirt! I’m 37.5 weeks and I also love the elastic waist bands on skirts, though I don’t mind belly wrapping bottoms, as long as they’re not constricting. I’m finding all of my smaller band pants to now be too much pressure under my belly now that it’s dropped, while belly panel pants are just starting to feel a bit strange. Jersey bands on skirts, yoga pants, and the like, though, are still fabulous.

11. Kelly B says:

I’m just at 3 months pregnant now, and some of my pants and skirts are feeling a bit snug from what i’ve been calling the 4B (before bump belly bloat :). They can be worn for now, as long as my shirt is loose, but the time is coming when I’ll have to start looking for some new clothes. Knowing myself and my style, I feel like I’ll probably be a “below bump” kind of gal. I don’t ever like feeling constricted in my clothing, and never wear tight clothing as it is, so I ca’t even imagine going the next xx months with something over my belly :) Congratualtions on reaching the finish line, we can’t wait to “meet” your new family

12. Ruth says:

Congratulations and Good Luck! Thank you for sharing your looks and thoughts with us during this busy and exciting time.

13. Leah says:

You are just glowing! I know, I know, cliche, but it’s true, you have been absolutely stunning through this whole pregnancy and I can’t wait to see pics of the little one. Hang in there, you’re almost there! (:

14. Nadine says:

I liked the ‘full panel’, m’self. Best of luck, my dear! It’s been such a privilege to follow your pregnancy here and on academichic. Hope all goes well for you! Big hugs from NZ! <3

15. riley says:

Best of the best to you and your growing family :) Go safely, and come safely back (whenever you feel it’s right). It’s been a privilege to walk this path with you.

16. Dee says:

You look beautiful! Best of luck in the next few days and weeks!

17. Lauren says:

Best wishes for the next days/weeks to come. I have a 7 week old little girl, and I can freshly remember the anticipation (and sometimes discomfort!) of those last days. I found I preferred the below the bump waistbands for the first half/two-thirds of the pregnancy, and the full panel for the rest…I just liked the added security as I expanded :) Another benefit to the below the bump waistbands is that they work very well for the weeks postpartum when there is still a bump but no longer a baby inside!

18. Rita says:

Good luck S.! All the best! You look beautiful :)

19. admin says:

Thank you for all your kind comments and well wishes, everyone! They are much appreciated :)

S.

20. Karen says:

Good luck with the coming baby. I hope everything goes well and without a single hitch!

21. Natalie says:

You look wonderful! Congratulations and good luck! :)

22. You look great, S! Good luck finishing up your final tasks before the baby arrives, which I hope is sooner rather than later! I’m sure you can’t wait to meet your little one! Best wishes for a healthy, uncomplicated, rewarding birthing experience.

I prefer under belly bottoms as well, but the one advantage I like about over-belly items is that they slip down less frequently on me. I am constantly pulling up most of my under-belly pants and skirts… so my favorites are the few items that have really good elastic waistbands that are thick enough to prevent cutting into my sides. I’m afraid I might outgrow these eventually, but at 26 weeks, I am trying to enjoy them as much as possible!

23. Jen L says:

Best wishes on your last days (fingers crossed!) I went 2 weeks over and then had to be induced because it wasn’t medically recommended to continue to wait it out. Those weeks past my “due date” were agonizing. But the kiddo is here now and almost 4 weeks old! Time will fly.

Blessings on your waiting and laboring and birth. Peace be with you. And thanks for sharing your journey and your fashion with us.

24. T. says:

Good luck! It’s an amazing experience. Can’t wait to hear your good news.

25. Jayashree Jayaraman says:

Best Wishes to you and your husband S..Honestly ur journey as a pregnant lady will be never forgotten,atleast by me..As i come from a part of the world(India) where we are asked to be in complete bed rest through out the pregnancy..Cing you completely rocking in this period,has changed my ideology about being pregnant…

Thanks a ton S for sharing your journey and hope the journey ahead (with the baby0 be as glorious as it has been till now :)..For me this was not about fashion, it was reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal life maternity tips :)

26. Jennifer says:

S, I’ve just recently begun to follow style blogs (since the mention of Academichic in the Chronicle of Higher Ed). I’m ABD as well–and expecting my second baby. Number 1 came during coursework. It’s been really inspiring to see how you and E. so gracefully approach motherhood, style, and life in (and outside) the academe. I wish you the very best for the coming days of preparation and anticipation. Namaste.

27. Meenoo says:

Good luck S! May it be a speedy, healthy, and safe time so you can be with your baby soon!

28. Inder says:

I was firmly (har) in the below-belly camp as well. My belly was so itchy, so I really couldn’t stand anything synthetic touching it!

The last few weeks are hard. Impatience, discomfort, crazy-nesting … you start to believe that you’ll be pregnant FOREVER. My mom told me that totally loosing your mind is a sign of impending labor, but I think she said that just to make me feel better! Hang in there!

29. Inder says:

I meant “losing your mind” but “loosing your mind” has a kind of cool ring to it as well. I’m sure Ina May Gaskin would approve of “loosing your mind” in labor. :-)

30. Daria says:

Good luck with everything coming!

31. Good luck, my dear. I can’t wait to meet the newest mini-Chic. :)

32. Alisha says:

Thank you, S, for being such a great real-life example of someone who is rocking a pregnancy healthily, actively, and stylishly. Your posts are going into my archives for when I become preggers.

33. You are absolutely gorgeous pregnant. You look exactly like I would have looked had I ever been so…..my beautiful son was adopted. We have the same sort of shape and vibe. Best wishes and good luck on the next few most wonderful years of your life. Motherhood is life-changing, challenging, exhausting, exhilarating, fulfilling, frustrating, and full of the most over-whelming love. And you have the wardrobe to do it! You go, girl. From a big sister who has done it.

34. Marie says:

I’m so excited for you and congrats! Same as me, I don’t own one maternity clothing, I love the sandal.

35. Tanya Reader says:

What an exciting time for you and your family! Best wishes!

36. EJ says:

My first two pregnancies, everything was under-the-bump. The third one, though, had to be over-the-bump. Including (ugh!) enormous maternity underwear! For some reason I could no longer stand anything rubbing/brushing against my skin, and the only way to avoid this was to wear something snug that didn’t move around at all. I don’t know why I felt less attractive (although I suspect the underpants) in over-the-bump bottoms. After all, maternity tops cover all that up, anyway.

37. Joyce Wyld says:

I love the full panel-the under belly thing does not stay up if too loose, and constricts if too tight. Under belly skirts and pants were ok for me till mid-second trimester, but after that, nope. I drafted a maternity skirt pattern with a full panel and made 5 knit maternity skirts to wear the last trimester. Loved them!

I blogged about how to draft and construct them here-
    Part 1: http://allthewyldthings.blogspot.com/2011/05/drafting-ponte-knit-maternity-skirt.html
    Part 2:http://allthewyldthings.blogspot.com/2011/05/constructing-knit-maternity-skirt-part.html
    Part 3:http://allthewyldthings.blogspot.com/2011/05/constructing-knit-maternity-skirt-part.html