13 July 2011 – A Not-So-Basic Basic

July 13th, 2011 § 9 comments

12 July 2011 - A Not Basic Basic

• Top: Forever 21
  • Necklace: Tilly Bloom
  • Belt: thrifted
  • Skirt: chopped from a dress
  • Sandals: Jeffrey Campbell via Gilt

My definition of a wardrobe “basic” rarely jives with the lists offered in women’s lifestyle magazines. When asked to designate the “workhorses” of my wardrobe last year, I picked my mustard blouson top and my navy jersey dress. I agree that black slacks and a white button down have their place in the fashion hall of fame for good reason, but I have always loved it when I can make a “basic” out of a garment that is anything but.

So it comes as little surprise, I suppose, that some of the wardrobe workhorses of this current pregnancy have been colored skirts, like my dusty purple one — cut from a thrifted maternity dress — that has featured in quite a few outfits this summer.

13 May 2011 - Book By Its Cover 23 May 2011 - Grape Blammo I Might Regret This Shortly

And now my new love is this BRIGHT red skirt. I’m envisioning it with purple, with gray, with olive, and even with aqua.

12 July 2011 - A Not Basic Basic

For someone who loves colorful clothes as much as I do, it hardly seems fair that in the midst of a style season punctuated with bright color blocking retailers of maternity clothes have tended towards a tasteful range of neutrals. I can’t say that I would necessarily be wearing coral chinos were they handed to me in maternity sizing…but I’ll be counting on this skirt to see me through the last month and a half with a good dose of hyper color cheer.

Are you wearing bright colors on the bottom this summer?

12 July 2011 - A Not Basic Basic

Tagged , , , ,

§ 9 Responses to 13 July 2011 – A Not-So-Basic Basic"

1. I am such a huge fan of the way you make colorful pieces staples. I too adore bright and saturated tones, and appreciate the visual inspiration.

2. Kelly N says:

Yesterday I was flipping through the latest glamour magazine and they had a section on beauty throughout the world and what different regions do to enhance or preserve beauty. What I found as interesting as the actual article though, was the models they had chosen. All of them were beautiful, and yet, as I looked, I noticed not one of them had an asymetrical face. Some were slight differences, and others had a very obvious difference. This made me think of DYB week and how you highlighted your own face. I just thought it was refreshing to see in a national magazine beauty not portrayed as one strict image, but instead in a broader range.

3. Sally says:

I tend to wear darker colors on the bottom half of me, but while second-hand store shopping while visiting friends in Ukraine this June, I picked up a long rosy pink skirt that I’m enjoying quite a bit. Now to see if I’m still brave enough to wear it once I get back to the States!

4. Secret Squirrel says:

Great skirt E! Really suits you. Like Sally above, I tend towards darker colours on bottom half, but eased myself in this summer with beige chinos… Then coral skinny jeans! I love them, but still have ‘jeepers creepers’ moments when I look down…

5. Amy says:

For some reason bright skirts don’t seem as outrageous to me as bright pants. I haven’t worn colorful pants since I was in elementary school, but I have bright orange and pink skirts I wear a lot. I just inherited a pair of really cute sky blue and white checked shorts, so I’ll have to figure out how to make them work.

6. Eleanorjane says:

I hate buying basics – I have to occasionally force myself and usually I’ll aim for something with a twist i.e. black skinny pants that are a bit shiny ‘cos they’re designed for evening but I wear them during the day.

I love your drapey skirts and tops and the colour combos.

Like Amy, I will wear bright skirts, but not bright trousers or capris.

7. Bri says:

I know what you mean about the wardrobe essentials! Love your inginuity with the chopping to make these pieces your own!

8. Mia says:

I love that Tilly Bloom necklace…I’ve been eying her stuff for a while on Etsy, trying to decide what I want.

That skirt is so super saturated! My monitor can barely handle it. Love love love it.

9. I’m 86 lightyears behind on commenting, but I couldn’t let the summer go by without expressing my love for your bright skirt AND the amazing proportions you’re rocking here. Is this chopped from the dress you created for your baby shower with little e.?