DIY Summer Shirt-Dress + More Blue and White Stripes

July 12th, 2011 § 10 comments

DIY Summer Shirt-Dress + More Blue and White Stripes

• Shirt – Gap
  • Dress – J Crew
  • Flats – Target
  • Earrings – Aldo

I promised there would be more blue and white stripes to come!  I wore this nautical (/patriotic?) ensemble on a much-needed date this past weekend.  We just went up to our local brewery for a casual dinner and some delicious beer and most people (including A2) were in shorts and a t-shirt. But, when a much-needed date comes around, you better believe I’m going to spruce it up a bit more than that.

I love summer dresses!  They are perfect for many of my favorite summer activities: casual date nights, summer parties, outdoor brunch, picnics, BBQs, music in the park, and so on.  I don’t have nearly enough casual summer dresses (I now have a decent selection for summer weddings),  but also don’t have the money for any new ones at the moment.  So, I decided to revisit my closet.

DIY Summer Shirt-Dress + More Blue and White Stripes

I have been particularly pining over summer shirt dresses with cap sleeves and popped collars – preferably in blue and white stripe pattern.  I’ve long loved this dress from Shabby Apple and for some reason this weekend the inspiration struck to try and recreate a similar look with pieces in my closet. So I pulled out a very old strapless white seersucker dress from J. Crew and this blue and white striped button-down shirt and started playing around with it.  I’m really happy with how the look came together and I think it approximates the Shabby Apple dress – full skirt, shirt collar, breast pockets, a tie at the waist, and of course, blue and white stripes.

I’m already thinking about other shirt + dress/skirt combinations that will give me a similar silhouette.  How are you creatively working with a summer budget?  A.

DIY Summer Shirt-Dress + More Blue and White Stripes

Tagged , , , , , ,

§ 10 Responses to DIY Summer Shirt-Dress + More Blue and White Stripes"

1. Whitney says:

I’ve been reading your blog for a while now, and I’m not sure if I’ve told you, but I think you are absolutely beautiful!

2. anotherjen says:

I am not employed at all this summer so the only shopping I can do is in my own closet! The really hot weather hit this week so I’ve rediscovered a whole new wardrobe of shorts and skirts. I’m wearing more jewelry, too, and (before it got hot) belts were keeping me from getting bored.

3. Hannah says:

I love this look! A nice way to add some variety to your wardrobe. I’ve tried the tied shirt thing a few time but never can get it to look right. You’ve inspired me to try again!

4. Oooh, this looks so light and summery. Very pretty. I’ve been reinventing old dresses lately in the same way you have here. I’ve also tried putting a loose top over a dress and then belting it, which seems to work – the looseness of the top camouflages the seams of the dress underneath, and the belt gives the whole thing some shape.

5. Mia says:

I love this! Like, so much. Partially because I have been craving a summery shirtdress recently but am on a shopping ban, but I totally have button-front shirts and other dresses I can try this with. Thank you for looking great and adding to my inspiration folder!

6. Holly says:

Great look! I actually prefer it to the Shabby Apple dress.

7. Elizabeth says:

I also prefer it to the Shabby Apple dress! Very cute!

8. Mona says:

I love shirt dresses, but they rarely fit and I can’t afford tailoring right now. But! I do have blouses and dresses I can try wearing this way: thank you for the wonderful inspiration. Your outfit looks way better than the Shabby Apple dress, as others have pointed out.

9. Jessica says:

Longtime reader but seldom commenter here… just letting you know you look gorgeous in these shots… the first one could have come straight from a magazine! Keep it coming!

10. Ashlee says:

I love this! So perfect for summer!