29 June 2011 – I Like the Way They Move

June 29th, 2011 § 10 comments

Bike Date

• Top: Forever 21
  • Shorts: maternity consignment store
  • Tank: Old Navy (tall size)
  • Necklace: Tilly Bloom
  • Sandals: Jeffrey Campbell (I’m not tired of them yet…)
  • Bikes: “Oliver,” a 2010 Raleigh One Way (for N.) and “Sammy,” a 1986 Schwinn Le Tour Mixte (for E.)

Over the weekend N. and I had the delightful gift of free babysitting (thanks, sister-in-law P.!) and the chance to go on a bike date picnic in a nearby park to watch the fireflies. (I’ll be sharing more about the date itself on S.’s bike blog in the near future.) It was a beautiful night and also a great reminder to me of why I should celebrate my legs during this year’s Dress Your Best.

My legs have always been “there” and I’ve rarely been that impressed with either their aesthetics or their extraordinary functionality. Unlike A., S., and L., I’m not a marathoner or a serious runner. I can’t say that my legs have carried me tremendous distances or that they’ve overcome great adversity. They’re kind of pale and kind of…normal.

Legs that Go

But, since beginning biking last year, my legs have acquired greater value in my mind. It’s not because of their athletic prowess — because honestly I don’t really ride that far or that fast — but simply because they have allowed me to participate in an activity that my husband loves and that I, in turn, have come to really enjoy. My legs have taken me on many a bike date exploration of our city with N., with little e., and with visiting friends and relatives. It’s become our “thing” that we do…together. We bike to our respective jobs, to church, to the grocery store, to friends’ homes. And when I pulled out little e.’s trailer and hitched him up to my bike for a library run, all on my own accord, I think husband N. almost burst with pride.

So thanks, legs, for giving me the ability to spend a special kind of quality time with my family. You may not be hardcore or super long or super toned or super anything, but you’ve given me a great gift. And I’m celebrating you by wearing short shorts.

Bike Date

Footsie

Tagged , , , ,

§ 10 Responses to 29 June 2011 – I Like the Way They Move"

1. Camille says:

This is both enlightening and adorable. Thank you for featuring your legs as well as your family bike rides. My boyfriend and I are trying to integrate bike riding into our lives but where we live is very biker unfriendly :C I hope that one day I’ll become a biker, blogger momma and teach just like you!

2. Eleanorjane says:

You don’t know how lucky you are with your legs! I’ve had ‘legs-o-doom’ since I was a teenager – huge wide kneecaps and ankles created straight up and down legs even when I was tiny. For all of my adult life I’ve had pouches of fat above my knees and elbows (however an hourglass figure with a flat tummy, so it’s not all bad). I’ve only just started to get a leetle bit more definition and firmness in my arms and legs with the various sorts of exercise I’ve been doing over the last year or so. But they’ll never be glorious.

So, enjoy your legs and rock those short shorts!

3. Terri says:

sweet. My mother has had several orthopedic problems in recent years, enough that out of the blue I found myself lifting up thanks for the simple ability to walk and climb stairs. Not being able to do such simple things gives one a renewed appreciation of what we tend to take for granted.

4. Rachel says:

What a sweet post! I’d love to get more into biking but the weather and city I’m in is completely unfriendly to it.. so I don’t think it’s happening anytime soon :(

5. Marina says:

Also, super-cute bike. Love the basket and skinny wheels.

6. Jackie says:

I love the color in this picture!

7. Lucy says:

You are so cute! Lucky guy! We go on bike dates too.

8. ACD says:

You got a different bike! Did this one replace the Takara, or are you a two-bike gal now?

9. Sarah says:

I have to chime in just to say that the first photo of you, N., and your bikes is so incredibly sweet!

10. Ellen says:

Would you mind telling me what the brand is of that bike helmet ya got there? I love it! Sleek, small, but looks like it would be protective!