Sugar and Lust

June 27th, 2011 § 13 comments

Hair

• Shirt: Splendid via Filene’s Basement
  • Tank (under): Gap via thrift
  • Skinnies: Anne Taylor Loft
  • Shoes: Steve Madden via DSW

It might not be immediately obvious from this photo what exactly it is I’m dressing. Like most people, I have a love-hate relationship with my hair. Instead of thinking about its tendency to poof out and curl in particularly annoying ways, I’m going to focus on the one thing that really makes it stand out: the color. I’ve been called everything from “copper top” to “fire bush” (by mean kids in high school) and my color has been described as anything from amber, auburn, red, or strawberry blonde all the way to chestnut and brown when it hasn’t gotten sun for a while. I like to showcase it off of turquoises, blues, and greens, which is why my striped turquoise shirt was perfect for this post.

Hair side

My hair sticks out in my family too. I’m the only one with it in my immediate family, which was pretty confusing for my mom and dad when I was born, and to be totally honest, they still don’t really know where it came from. I’ve been teased for my hair and praised for my hair. I’ve never dyed it because I’ve always been afraid that it will grow back another color (crazy, I know). I avoided orange and red clothes for a long time because I was told they “clashed” with my hair. It wasn’t until I read Still Life With Woodpecker by Tom Robbins that I fully embraced my color as special. I actually get pretty defensive when people try to tell me I don’t have red hair. I’m positive I’m a redhead ;)

Hair closeup

Robbins, also a redhead, has a character in this book who claims that “red hair is caused by sugar and lust.” He goes on to describe the flaming locks of the protagonist:

“…red being the color of emergency and roses; red being the prelate’s top and the baboon’s bottom; red being the blood’s color, jelly’s color; red maddening the bull, red bringing the bull down; red being the color of valentines, of left-handedness, and of a small princess’s new found guilty hobby. His hair was red, his cowboy boots muddy, his heart a hive of musical bees.”

Today I’m reveling in my color – whatever you call it, it’s mine.

Tagged , , , , , ,

§ 13 Responses to Sugar and Lust"

1. Mistie Watkins says:

I love this! I have red hair like yours. I love my hair color, and I’ve never dyed it because I’m afraid it won’t be the same after as well.

2. notacomputeruser says:

My hair’s very similar – but also until recently very short so I dyed it a lot for fun. It always grew back red. The best description I ever got of it was when I taught in Japan and they didn’t know how to describe my hair – one student told me “your hair’s the colour of sunshine”.

3. Em says:

Yay for red hair! I have only had it when I dyed it red, but I loved it and would consider doing it again.

4. T. says:

My hair is the same color as yours, and the same texture–curly and unpredictable–and I am also the only one in my family with red hair. I have never colored my hair. Quite a few people I know have tried to get my color out of a bottle, but no one’s ever quite succeeded. When I was little, I didn’t like how it made me stand out, but then I started to enjoy that it made me memorable. I am to the age now where I am starting to see silver strands here and there (silver, NOT gray!), which is very sobering, but about a year ago I sat behind a woman at a baseball game, and she had former-red-hair-turning-silver, and I thought it was so pretty that it’s made me less worried about losing my red.

My children have plain old brown hair. Bummer. I was really hoping for a red head. Maybe I’ll have a red head grandchild some day!

5. Becca says:

You have incredibly lovely hair. The colour is stunning. I’ve always loved red hair, in all shades.

6. Sophia says:

Amen! Preach it, red-haired sister! :D

7. kathy says:

I love red hair, even though I don’t have it. : (

I heard on NPR once about how natural redheads will eventually become extinct because it’s such a rare color anymore. I hope not! If I can’t have it, at least let me admire those who do!

8. Beth Ellen says:

I’m an auburn ginger too! Or a ‘daywalker’ if you will from South Park. It’s my grandma’s hair, and out of her 11 children and 35 grandchildren myself, my brother and 1 other male cousin are the only ones who got ‘The Hair’. It’s always been a point of pride in the family to be the only girl with it. And I’ve been told my entire life that if I ever dyed it I would be hunted down and staked. I’ve also always embraced blues and greens to highlight my hair and avoided oranges and yellows like the plague. I’ve always loved my hair because my mom told me growing up that it made me special like my grandma, who is one of my heroes and role model, so no matter how much I might get fun of for it (I got fire bush too) I liked the special connection it gave me to my family.

9. Tracey says:

I have red hair and it has always been a major part of my identity. I have often hated the texture but never the color. I find it interesting that you & some other redheads gravitate toward & look good in blues & cooler greens, as I find these are not good for me. I do better in warm-tones with yellowish-undertones rather than bluish. I am older than you & some of the other posters so I will warn you, one problem with red hair is that before it grays, it fades & loses much of its red tone. When my kids & a clerk at the Clinique counter insisted my hair was brown, I was devastated. I started highlighting with blond about 7 years ago, but last year, decided enough gray needed to be covered that it was time to dye the whole thing. So now the red is back albeit from my stylist, and I am very happy. Redheads are unique!

10. Tanya Reader says:

Your hair is beautiful and the garden you’re standing in is too!

11. Sara says:

It’s so great to see another red-head like me embracing it. Growing up with red hair was a character building experience that I’m glad I had.

12. Ellie says:

I don’t think you’re crazy at all. I had blonde hair and dyed it in high school for a play where I needed black hair. It was a temporary (24 wash) dye that somehow seeped into my roots and made my hair grow out black, then dark brown, then dark auburn, then light brown, which is what it still is today. I think people with light hair colors need to be especially careful. Yours is beautiful as is!

13. I have red hair, and I assure you you do too! I’ve never dyed it because I’ve never met a hairdresser who would let me (not that I would want to anyway).

“Oh what beautiful hair you have!” they say, then swing me round in the stylists chair, lean down, look me in the eye and say “If you ever, ever mess with it, it would be a slap in the face to all the women who spend $200 a month trying to get their hair to look like this.”