24 June 2011 – Wonky

June 24th, 2011 § 34 comments

24 June 2011

• Dress: Motherhood Maternity
  • Necklace: consignment store
  • Sandals: Jeffrey Campbell

One guess as to what I’m celebrating as my “best” today.

24 June 2011

All that’s changed in the past year, of course, as I’m come to really, really love stripes. Maybe I’m just a late-bloomer like that. And now look, I’m wearing stripes when seven months pregnant. ALL OVER MY BODY.

As S. has already expressed, the rapid changes that your body goes through during pregnancy can be emotionally trying. It’s hard to see a body that you know transform into something that you don’t always recognize when you catch glimpses of yourself in a window or mirror. Being pregnant a second time is a different ballgame in the sense that I have some expectations of what could happen…but no guarantee that things will be at all the same. My hips are a little more sore, my face seems puffier to me, and chasing a toddler around while also carting pregnancy weight is exhausting.

But this time I also have the benefit of knowing what comes next: a child to cherish and nurture.

24 June 2011

So I adore this dress. I love that it hugs all of my pregnancy curves. I love that it’s graphic and modern. I love that it makes me feel hip and proud to be pregnant. This isn’t a dress that everyone will love (either on themselves or on me, for that matter), but it’s helping me dress my best with a little sense of humor and a whole lot of confidence.

24 June 2011

24 June 2011

Tagged , , , , , ,

§ 34 Responses to 24 June 2011 – Wonky"

1. Elena says:

LOVE this dress on you! I couldn’t help complimenting a pregnant woman I spotted at a wedding last weekend who was rocking stripes (and thought of you!). I think it’s an fantastic look. Baby e. is looking adorable, as always!

2. Quest for Fashion Sense says:

LOVE this dress on you. You look amazing.

3. Amy says:

That’s the cutest dress I’ve ever seen! I like that you can’t hide in it; even if you’re not pregnant, you’re not going to fade into the background in full-body stripes. I like the implied statement in wearing something this bold while pregnant.

4. Julia says:

That may be the most amazing dress I’ve ever seen. Seriously. You look fantastic! I hope someday if/when I’m pregnant I’m so bold!

5. Terri says:

I love the optical illusion of this dress!

6. danika says:

you look fantastic! I love this dress on you!

7. The baby bump is looking quite lovely!

8. Deidra says:

I had to show my husband I love it so much. I told him, “I want a dress like this next time I’m pregnant!” But then again, with a two month old, that might be a while yet! :)

9. Dee says:

You look amazing!

10. I hope that’s still in stores because I need it! I’ve been wearing tons of stripes throughout this pregnancy because I just love drawing a clear outline of the bump :)
    Gotta find this dress!

11. First, let me preface this by saying I’m not calling a pregnant zebra.

I love this look because it reminds me of a pregnant zebra. Stay with me, there’s a point. When female zebras become pregnant, their stripes appear much stronger and bolder. While there’s still debate over the various evolutionary functions of zebra stripes, one theory is that the stripes make the animal appear larger. With that in mind, there’s speculation that the larger stripes that develop when a female is pregnant makes her appear even bigger than usual, sending a visual “don’t f*ck with me” signal to potential predators and helping to keep her offspring safe.

I think you can be confident all predators will leave you alone in this fabulous dress!

12. Whoops, that should have been “not calling you a pregnant zebra.”

13. K says:

This is my favorite yet of all your outfits! So proud and so fun!

14. emmy says:

Hott!!!

15. Beth Ellen says:

I LOVE this dress on you! While I’m not sure I’d ever have the confidence to wear it (preggers or otherwise) I think you look amazing and gorgeous!

16. Laura says:

You’re an art history person so I feel like you’ll appreciate my first reaction: “She has a Victor Vaserely-belly!”

17. Ah, this dress looks great on you! Love it!!

18. Ruth says:

Love it!

19. Sara says:

Ah! I have this dress and I love it for all the same reasons! It looks fabulous on you.

20. poet says:

Sooooo awesome. I must remember this for the potential future event of me being pregnant. It looks great!

21. nicholle says:

I think you’ll be pretty hard pressed to find someone who doesn’t love this on you…

22. EE K says:

You’ve got the cutest baby bump ever. I love how this dress accentuates that!

23. What a wonderful dress! It looks delightful on you. I just discovered that my husband and I are expecting a surprise bundle in February, and while I’ve always enjoyed your style and maternity wear, there is a new admiration with its their relevancy to my situation!

Thank you for your affirmation of the beauty and mystery of this unique time in a woman’s life. Best of everything as you prepare for delivery and little E.’s small sibling!

24. You’re such a beautiful pregnant woman! I can only hope that when I get pregnant, I’ll be half as “blooming” as you ;) And still so stylish! I love this dress on you. The stripes bring some focus on your belly but also the fact that you’re still very shapely. Great outfit. Who woulda thought body-hugging, striped dresses can be great maternity clothing?

25. Cristy says:

Love. it! This is gorgeous, and a little bit sexy, too! Also, there’s something about the shoulder/sleeve/collar construction that I really, really like also.

26. Becca says:

What a fantastic dress on your bump! It immediately reminded me of an optical illusion that I had seen (http://us.cdn4.123rf.com/168nwm/alvarocabrera/alvarocabrera1006/alvarocabrera100600095/7224746-op-art-bulging-vertical-stripes-black-and-white-one.jpg). Such a cool look!

27. Carey says:

That dress is AWESOME -

• Carey says:

Sorry – that posted before I was done- YOU look awesome!! Dare I call a pregnant lady hot?? Yes, I will! :) I know it’s not easy to feel attractive like that while pregnant; I might have to track down that dress for myself! I almost never wore any of the super blousey tops/dresses when I was pregnant – all that flowy material hanging off my bump made me feel huge. I stuck to tighter fitting tops – having a bump to show off is SO infrequent (and sometimes very hard earned) – show it off!!! :)

28. kathy says:

You look pretty damned awesome in this dress.

29. grace says:

I absolutely LOVE this. You look fantastic.

30. A says:

Oh.my.goodness. I’ve been following this blog for some time now and I’m a big fan of your style, the silhouettes and color schemes you choose and so on. But I have to say, this is up there in my top favorites :) I love the pregnant body and think it’s GREAT that you choose to showcase yours proudly! I also enjoy stripes and sheath dresses but both are things I thought would be a challenge to wear on my pregnant body. But you inspire ;) you look lovely! all the best with your new addition to the family.

31. Vaya says:

Love the lightbending, colorbending and mindbending aspects to this outfit!

32. I love this dress, and I love the way you’re rocking your bump in it. As an aside, thanks for being such a supportive and inspiring pregnancy style buddy! It’s been such a joy to watch the thoughtfulness and focus you bring to dressing your pregnant body and to nurturing your two little ones!

33. [...] E. and S. of academichic have spoken eloquently this week about the many (many!) changes the pregnant body goes through, and have touched on something [...]