23 June 2011 – Putting Your Best Leg Forward

Dress Your Best - Legs

• Sports-bra Tank: Nike
  • Shorts: Brooks
  • Socks: Smart Wool
  • Shoes: New Balance
  • Watch: Timex Expedition

Today I am paying homage to my legs, and while I certainly like how they look when I’m wearing a skirt and heels, I absolutely, hands down, feel like I look my best when I’m in my sports clothes. I suppose it is because I’ve always been an athlete, and for most of my life I’ve been on a team. I played soccer and lacrosse through high school, lacrosse for two years in college, and on various adult league teams since I graduated. I feel comfortable and confident on a field, which (most of the time) translates to feeling confident in other arenas of my life. I’ve met some of my best friends through sports and even played co-ed flag football in grad school to meet people outside my department. Unfortunately, in 2008 I tore my ACL (a ligament in the knee) while playing flag football and had to have surgery to repair it. More than anything else I was terrified at the thought that I wouldn’t be able to play sports any more, or at least not to the level that I wanted. So my appreciation for my legs is three-fold. I love how they look, I love what they do, and I love what they represent – my ability to overcome adversity.

Half Marathon Marathon 10k

After about 9 months of rehab I began running again, and since then, with A.’s encouragement as a training partner, have completed a half marathon, full marathon, and most recently a 10k (with my friend J.W.). I’m aiming to run another half marathon in the fall. So, THANK YOU legs, for all that you have done and continue to do — and you look darn good while doing it, if I do say so myself!

Eye on the Prize Have Run Many Miles

Tagged ,

§ 10 Responses to 23 June 2011 – Putting Your Best Leg Forward"

1. cindykay says:

Wow, you look so young, and so comfortable in your own skin.

2. Anie says:

You really do look so happy in the exercise clothes! Your smile is beautiful.

3. Roe says:

You definitely look like you’re in your comfort zone! I had ACL just about 9 months ago, and have just started running again. It’s been a challenge, but after hearing your success story, I’m sure I’ll get back into the game in no time! :)

4. sarah in philly says:

yay! i’ve been hoping you guys would do some posts on athletic activities and the garb that goes with them – especially running! congrats on your ACL recovery.

5. Kerri says:

I run in skirts now! I found out about Skirt Sports a little while ago, and i love their running skirts! Not only are they super cute, they are super functional :) Also, congrats on your ACL recovery! I had a knee injury myself a while ago due to misalignment issues and I couldn’t run for 3 years. Fortunately, I’ve recovered and am happily back running.

6. Amy says:

You look powerful and confident and happy! I love how my legs look since I started biking daily a few months ago, but mostly I love knowing that they can carry me wherever I want to go.

7. I love that you featured a body part with such great history, and in a “non-style-y” setting. I feel like so often as style bloggers we tend to leave these aspects of our lives invisible — we may talk about the time we spend running or cycling or practicing yoga, but we rarely actually *perform* these things. I’m so glad your knee has healed so well, and is making possible so many things you so enjoy!

8. notmensa says:

I love this post!!! Thank you for highlighting ‘functional beauty’! I’ve just taken up running and I love the way it makes me appreciate my legs for the ‘athletic’ things they can do, rather than how they look.

Good luck with your next half marathon – please post some photos!

9. [...] and everything to do with how I present myself (if that makes any sense). I’m talking about my Dress Your Best post on my legs – and the running outfit I shared with you all. Even with all the hours spent dressing up, I [...]

10. Christine says:

L, I just wanted to say how much I have just enjoyed reading this post (with a couple of exceptions being posts in reply that I found over zealous). It is always encouraging to participate in open discussion about the issue of the sexualization of very young women.

I live in Australia in a very multicultural city. We have accepted compulsory school uniforms (optional when I was younger) as a lesser of two evils. The first two periods of most school days were occupied with sending inappropriately dressed young people home. Mainly girls, because Aussie boys just aren’t very dress conscious but they certainly are girl conscious. In a very hot climate there is almost no limit to how little people can wear and not be too cold to function. School uniforms were cooler and safer (from sun damage) and yes, probably safer for the girls as well.

Because as an adult and an educator you are well aware how easy it is to arouse young guys and how most of your female students are not, how embarrassing it is for young men. No young man like to go up to write on the board with a massive “stiffy”.

My daughter who are sensible young women are a bit shocked at how little the cohort just below them considers to be “appropriate clothing”. Because they look like very provocative clothes, designed to be provocative and worn by many girls simple to fit in. Who is really designing and promoting and If these are clothes that young women wear to express themselves why do most of them look the same?

My young daughter is super fashion conscious and works in the Arts/Theatre business. Her quote “at least when I was a teen I didn’t have to dress like a skanky ho!” stuck in my mind when read this. Of course she didn’t “have to” but many 14 year olds can’t hold out against peer pressure. This, in a culture that wears bikinis to the shops, has free nudist beaches and is very very casual. There is casual and there is provocative and inappropriate .

Have your critics looked at the sexualized clothes of 5 to 12 year olds ? Points to you as a teacher for helping people discuss this vital issue.

PS I like your clothes. Clothes matter…they can be art on the body or just comfortable. But they always send signals and they always matter.