23 June 2011 – Dressing My Best

June 23rd, 2011 § 9 comments

23 June 2011 - Dressing My Best

• Button-down – swapped
  • Belt – gift from Mom (Anthropologie)
  • Skirt – J Crew
  • Tank – Banana Republic
  • Flats – DSW
  • Earrings – Gift from S.

As I said, after my yoga mat body scan, I had a list of things I love about my body, both big and small.  An intimate, funny, hopeful, and reflective list that I will try to remember to keep mentally close to me.  A list I am here publicly vowing to recreate whenever I’m not feeling my best.  While I won’t be sharing the whole (very personal) list with you, I am planning on highlighting some of the parts from that list.  But, for my first DYB contribution, I want to celebrate my body shape as a whole.

23 June 2011 - Dressing My Best

As my proportions silhouette reveals, I have a small waist, wide hips, a big butt and thighs, and broad shoulders.  I am an hour glass.   While this is indeed a “classic” silhouette and does fit many Western ideals of beauty, it is not currently a very popular body-type.  By that, I mean you won’t find too many hourglasses in the pages of J Crew.  Most contemporary clothing is made for a straighter line.  So, more vintage or classic silhouettes often look great on me. Yet, there are all sorts of rules out there for my body type that don’t match up with these looks.  Because of my broad shoulders, I’m not supposed to wear puffed sleeves.  A larger bottom half should not be clothed in white.  Full hipped women aren’t supposed to wear fabrics that stick out from the body. I’m sure there are others!  Well nothing about me is straight (pun intended) and I’m not all that great with rules, so…

23 June 2011 - Dressing My Best

I’m wearing puffed sleeves and a skirt that is full, white, and made of crisp stiff cotton and I am loving the way my body looks – broad shoulders, wide hips, small waist and all!

What body shape rules do you break?

[This is my fourth blue and white striped outfit -- three more coming!]

Tagged , ,

§ 9 Responses to 23 June 2011 – Dressing My Best"

1. Katy says:

At first glance I thought this was one of those dresses that looks like two pieces because it all flows so well together! Great look, especially with the brown shoes and belt accents. – Katy

2. Eleanorjane says:

As another hourglass, I salute you! By all means emphasise your gorgeous shape! (And that lilac colour is lovely on you.)

3. Alisha says:

I have pretty much the exact same body shape as you, and it makes me happy to see you rocking that outfit!

4. Becky says:

Your outfit is lovely! I too am an hourglass and I give you props for rocking your classic lines.

5. Em says:

You look terrific–here’s to breaking the rules! As a person who is petite in height but also an hourglass, one of my favorite rules to break is wearing prints. And if I’m feeling sassy, allover prints that are not demure in size. I also love nautical and wear horizontal stripes with abandon as well as high-waisted pants/shorts if I’m so inclined. I love heels but sometimes practicality demands flats even though I’m petite, so I wear flats too.

6. Marina says:

It’s so funny to see “the rules” broken, because you look fantastic. Ditch the rules!

7. April says:

I’m an hour glass, and full figured. I break the “don’t wear horizontal stripes” rule all the time. I think a striped shirt actually helps accentuate the boob to waist ratio.

8. H. says:

Hee…as I am a non-straight person with a very straight-lined figure, your pun made my afternoon. I love the combination of structured and flowy!

9. Mia says:

Those rules were made to be broken, you look fab! I try not to worry too much about what the “rules” are for what my body shape (bowling pin) can or cannot wear and just go with what looks good on me to me. Who cares about the rest? Brava!