13 June 2011 – Three Crossed Buns

13 June 2011 - Crossed Buns

• Cardigan: Target
  • Cami: Forever 21, from last pregnancy
  • Maxi: Forever 21, from last pregnancy
  • Sandals: Old Navy
  • Necklace: Hawaii swap meet

Notice anything different? Yes, I’m wearing my hair up. Or at least up-ish.

13 June 2011 - Crossed Buns

Thanks to your advice, I tried a modified version of the Real Simple tutorial for three low buns at the nape of the neck. Since I have a LOT of straight, slippery hair I need pretty significant length to make “real” buns. But, I loved this idea and I stood in front of that mirror for a long time with damp hair, some texturizing product, a few pins and some little hair bands to make something that sort of approximated that look. I just decided to embrace the spikes. It’s not the most beautiful hairstyle out there, but it fulfilled the purpose of getting hair off my neck with the added bonus of making it look like I had longer hair to start with. At least, that’s what I’m telling myself. I appreciated all the suggestions you had and will work on expanding my hair repertoire in the next few weeks!

13 June 2011 - Crossed Buns

13 June 2011 - Crossed Buns

I should say something about the outfit, but really…it’s purple and it’s mustard and I love this maxi dress and I added an old necklace so that you wouldn’t get too bored. The end.

P.S. Just three more outfits left to post in my self-imposed 15 for 15. (But that’s not too exciting since many of you will certainly be launching a 30 for 30 experience today ala Kendi…good luck!)

Tagged , , , ,

§ 19 Responses to 13 June 2011 – Three Crossed Buns"

1. Firesparx says:

I love the idea of wearing a colourful cami underneath a low-cut top. I would have passed on this beautiful maxi because it was NSFW as is. Consider me inspired!

• shil says:

Another thing that works for low cut tops is a bandeau. Looks like you’re wearing a cami, but awesome in hot weather so you don’t have to actually wear a whole other layer.

2. Sarah says:

Glad that you took the suggestion: it’s a cute style on you! Plus, this color combo is DIVINE.

Keep up the patience as your hair grows out!

3. jillian says:

loving that maxi dress, so pretty and simple. xo jillian:: ps im hosting a judy kaufmann print giveaway!

4. Meg says:

Apparently, three buns are the new updo.I’ve been doing them with my hair a lot lately since it has been growing out. Once your hair reaches the tops of your shoulders, you’ll have an easier time. One updo I invented with shorter hair involves twisting the two front sections back and pinning near the back of the head. Then dividing the back portion into three sections and creating mini french twists and pinning. This works because it’s not asking your hair to be long. All the twists are low and short. The ends are just short and spiky. Embrace the spike!

5. Jackie says:

That purple is a great color for you!

6. Kayla says:

I love seeing your hair pulled back! I have short hair to and I’ve got to start working some magic to help me get through my work-out classes this summer. I hope I can make it work and look almost as great as you do!

7. Claire says:

Love the colourful outfit! I do the three buns hairstyle too – I have long curly hair and I do this hairstyle when the curls are starting to break up. I also do Tania’s ‘messy bun’ which works well too.

When my hair was a lot shorter I used to do a series of linked ponytails – pull the top section into a ponytail and put it in hair elastic and then capture the next section down and incorporate the ponytail and add hair elastic – I used to do 3 – 4 sections. You can use the same colour hair elastic or mix colours to match the outfit

Claire, Adelaide, Australia

8. Terri says:

I love your profile in the first photo! The dress is very flattering.

9. Jenn says:

I love the way the maxi skirt is so flowy! The color combination is awesome. My hair is a bit longer than your and I would love to give that ‘do a go.

Complex Cardigans

10. Nadine says:

Wearing your hair back off your cheekbones flatters the life out of you – wow! I have super-straight slippery hair, too, so I struggle with the oh-so-casual instructions for ‘pinning’. Hairpins just ‘shed’ right out of my hair like a trail of breadcrumbs (or something). I find if I start with a ponytail, then secure the bun with another elastic, things stay in place more successfully. Or I use little claw clips.

11. Emma B says:

Wow you’re glowing E!! And i love your hair like that, you make pregnancy look so glamourous :)

12. kelly k says:

cute outfit! Also, have you given thought to french braids? they stay in place a little better than traditional braids and there are many more options then a single or piggy style braids, you can do them across the tp of your head, do several small ones all over bringing them together at the crown of your head, dutch style with one winding aroundd your head, work 3 up the nape of your neck to cool off, ect I also recommend french twists. Or, even even extentions put in to make it more managable and easy to put up while you grow it out.

13. Rachel says:

The hair looks great, you’re really rocking the style! The much cleaner look shows off more of your face and cheekbones and I really love it! Plus, you are always the master at working bright complementary colours – for a person who’s rather colour phobic, i LOVE it.

14. Emma says:

Your hair rocks! I agree with the other posters who say it shows off your face better like this. Why don’t you try pulling it all back witha headband or little clippies? Then we could see your whole face lol

15. Love your site, color combos & style!! Featured this outfit on my Marmie Bags Facebook page.

16. [...] from left: 1/2 Cori from La Vie Petite, 3 Lauren by Diana Lupu, 4 E. from AcademiChic, 5 Patricia from [...]

17. I blog frequently and I seriously thank you for your content.
    Your article has truly peaked my interest. I will take a note
    of your blog and keep checking for new information
    about once a week. I subscribed to your RSS feed too.

18. Hey there, You have done a great job. I will definitely digg it and personally recommend to my friends.
    I am sure they’ll be benefited from this website.