9 June 2011 – I May Regret This Shortly

June 9th, 2011 § 33 comments

I Might Regret This Shortly

• Striped tank: Target
  • Belt: swapped with A.
  • Skirt: thrifted as a dress and chopped
  • Literal necklace: Tickette, gift from husband
  • Wedges: Naturalizer, via DSW

There are a lot of things I love about this outfit — the colors and stripes, the red shoes, the silhouette — but there are also a lot of things I might regret shortly.

Like the fact that a tiny part of me is worried that I’ll look like a member of the Red Hat Society, sans hat, because I’m wearing red and purple together.

Or the fact that I — as an almost 30 year old mother — definitely wore pigtails for part of the day in order to get my hair off my neck in some unbearable heat. Am I too old for pigtails?

Or the fact that I’m maybe-kind-of-sort-of-half-heartedly trying to grow my hair out right now. My avuncular hair dresser, whom I adore and trust, encouraged me to aim for a longer hair length. And while I love the idea, in theory, of being able to throw my hair up into a ponytail, it’s been so long since I’ve had anything other than a bob that I’m a bit at sea right now.

And now you know all my secret fears. But tell me, what tips do you have for that awkward in-between stage of growing out your hair? Are there hair fastening devices I should know about at this point? If a ponytail is still stumpy are there other options — besides pigtails — for lifting hair off the neck? Tell me what I need to know!

I Might Regret This Shortly

Tagged , , , , , ,

§ 33 Responses to 9 June 2011 – I May Regret This Shortly"

1. NotaBene says:

I used those athletic head-bands (the kind that go all the way around your head) for the in-between stage, with lots of little twists and bobby pins. Unfortunately, I never found an in-between summer style that was all that chic . . . Pig tails are forgivable when its as hot as it has been lately. You gotta do what’cha gotta do.

2. Carolyn says:

Hair in my face bothers me more than on my neck, so I wear headbands or I put my hair half-up with clips for the in-between times.

3. You’re not too old for pigtails–because you’re pregnant. You have more “playful” range in that regard as no one looks at you and thinks all of the things generally associated with mature women wearing pigtails.

I like the athletic headband idea. I’m generally not a huge fan of wearing a headband, as I have a widows peak and get headaches, but pregnancy is a cause for keeping the hair out of the face.

I also like the little barrettes that pull the bangs back on each side–then you can still do the tails or not. I saw these on etsy and almost bought them myself. I do the spring clip ones too.

4. Mel says:

In hot weather I used a chiffon scarf as a headband, wrapping it all the way around under the hair did lift the hair off the neck enough to help. (The outfit looks fine, you don’t look red hat at all IMO!)

5. Kelly says:

I am, very much like you right now, currently trying to grow out my bob for the start of law school this upcoming August. I’ve passed through the first awkward hair growing stage and am now in the second stage. Mind you, I live in Florida so I’m screwed no matter what. I have yet to find anything but my Tresseme shampoo/conditioners and my Sultra hair straightener (via Sephora) to help sooth my hair. Just be though, hopefully your hair grows as fast as mine does. Good luck!

6. Christina says:

Check out Jentine’s tutorial: http://myedit.blogspot.com/2010/08/hair-do-twist-tutorial.html. It’s meant for slightly longer hair but I think it’s definitely a great growing out the hair style. Just twist and bobby pin as you go!

7. Dee says:

When I was growing out my bob I used to make a ‘stubby’ pontyail, then twist and clip it up to the back of my head with something like this – http://www.boots.com/en/Scunci-Thin-Hair-No-Slip-Grip-Jaw-Clip_1189743/?CAWELAID=774791935&cm_mmc=Shopping%20Engines-_-Google%20Base-_—_-Scunci%20Thin%20Hair%20No%20Slip%20Grip%20Jaw%20Clip. The grip hides the stubby, shaving brush style ends and makes it look like you have longer hair than you do.

8. Pauli says:

I quite like braiding my hair at that length, generally easier to split your hair in half and do two braids, pinning the ends if they can’t quite tie and then putting a pretty clip over it (or what you guys call a barette).

9. Sarah says:

You could try something like this: http://www.realsimple.com/beauty-fashion/hair/tools-techniques/summer-hairstyles-00000000035188/page2.html It’s basically like pigtails… only a little more mature-looking :) You could also try a French twist style (although with shorter hair, you may need to play around with some hair product to make it all stay up.)

Good luck! Growing out your hair can be frustrating, but you’ll have so many more options once it’s a bit longer! (Not that I don’t love your cute and always put-together bob!)

10. I need to use whatever tips you get – I’m currently at the stumpy ponytail stage, and the only other thing I could think of was patience. Or not leaving the house…

11. sundaze says:

I wore my hair curly during its awkward growing out stage. There are a ton of curling products on the market that let you wash, apply, scrunch and pretty much go. It took a little trial and error to find a combo that worked for me, but the shinkage from the curls lifted my hair off my neck and I was able to keep cool and still work a “look.”

12. Erica says:

I pin my bangs back in a pouf and I also like to curl it (if your hair curls) because the random curls help to hide the various lengths as I grow out my angled bobs!

• Laura says:

Absolutely! Once you pin your bangs back, everything magically looks like you intended it to do that bizarre thing it’s doing.

I’ve also totally taken to using a bandanna to get my hair out of my face and off my neck (I’m growing out a pixie cut and it’s at the really shaggy stage, especially since my hair falls in loose curls… so I basically just look like a hobbit right now).

Bobby pins hide a multitude of sins. I can’t wear normal headbands without getting headaches (must be the pressure near my temples) but I can wear athletic ones, and I have some really cute ones that look crocheted and are in jewel tones. They kind of make my hair look like a mushroom is growing out of my head, but I tell myself it’s a cute mushroom and then try not to think about it.

And as soon as my hair is long enough to do it? Braids and pigtails all the way. Because you can do some serious faking with bobby pins and braids.

13. cindy says:

I love red and purple together, you definitely do not look like a red hat lady! I am growing out my hair from a bob as well. I will sometimes do 3 messy buns, stacked on top of each other…kind of like a modified mohawk of sorts. I will also just start twisting my hair from the base of my neck, going upwards, secure strays with pins and do a messy top bun. It works for me and keeps my neck from getting sweaty.

14. Jac says:

I personally will rock the pig tails as long as I need to with my growing out hair and I am 32. :-)

15. Starling says:

Those little Goody twist pins work surprisingly well with my hair – I would use the small ones for shorter hair, though. I’m ridiculously inept with bobby pins, but these are pretty foolproof. The braids look great, too :)

16. Loren says:

I do not think you look like a red hat society lady. As long as you don’t put the pigtails WAY up high on the top of you head you are fine. The pigtails probably balance out the ‘red hat lady’ look anyway.
    When I was growing mine out (which I decided to do roughly every 6 months between the ages of 16 & 21) I could manage a french twist before I could do a real pony tail. Also someone may have mentioned this already but putting two little mini hair buns can look more ‘grown up’ than pigtails.

17. melanie says:

i have curly hair, so my options for getting my hair up off my neck tend to be fairly limited… but, when my hair is long enough, i love to sort of ‘twirl’ it and clip it with one of those ’round’ claw clips: http://www.amazon.com/Octopus-Hair-Claw-Tortoise-Shell/dp/B0050DBFBA/ref=sr_1_4?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1307713851&sr=1-4

i’m not quite sure how it would work with straight hair, but you might try it! i find it to be super easy and resembles a sort of classy ‘bun’ look.

18. Hagley says:

Long-time reader/lurker here. I was going to post Jentine’s hair tutorial too: it’s super-easy but beautiful. I even do this right after a shower and then my hair is pretty and wavy the next day.

And I’m so impressed with your and S.’s pregnancy style! I think there is something about the second and third trimester that makes you have to be creative. I didn’t have very many maternity clothes, and it was kinda fun to see how I could rework my regular wardrobe as the bump grew bigger and bigger…

19. Jackie says:

I have red hair and cannot pull off pigtails without getting called Pippi Longstocking.

20. Yes, we are almost too old for pigtails. But in this heat, who cares?! Your have the hair that looks super cute in pigtails, and with your belly, people forgive just about anything. I have two afro-poofs stuck to the sides of my head when I do pigtails.

Not cute.

21. Amy says:

I’ll second Sarah’s suggestion of the 3 buns hairstyle from Real Simple. I wore my hair like this constantly last summer, and my hair is permanently in the too-short-for-ponytail, too-long-to-let-hang-in-my-face length. I used to worry about wearing pigtails, but I’ve decided I just don’t care what other people think anymore (I’m almost 40, I’ve earned the right to do whatever the hell I want with my hair, so there!), and I haven’t found a better way to keep my hair back while running.

And I also love the purple-red combo—to be honest, the purple looks more blue in this pic anyway.

• Kim says:

Amy – any tips on making the 3 bun thing work with thick hair? I have this in-between length of hair as well and like the look of the style, but my hair’s incredibly thick and hard to keep in a twist, and I broke a few pins trying to make the buns stay in place.

• Amy says:

Kim—I have thick hair too—I just used a lot of bobby pins. You could also try using rubber bands and wrapping the tail of the pony into the rubber band—I’ve done that in a pinch.

22. Beth Ellen says:

I’m at the awkward in between hair stage too! I’ve had short, bob-esque hair for the past few years and now I’m trying to grow it out. I do the awkward pig tails, even though I’m way too old too. It really does work for the before it’s long enough to actually ponytail.

Oh, and I totally love the purple and red combo here!

23. Nicole says:

First, the outfit is gorgeous. And not Red Hat Society.

Second, I don’t know if you have layers or what’s up, but I used to french braid my hair and then pin up the ends. That was a more grown up version then pigtails, but was perfect for the short hair. Good luck growing it!

24. Cara says:

First off, amen to growing hair out during pregnancy! With all the vitamins its the best time to do it! Also, my go to summer hair style (last summer while prego and this summer as a new mom) is to divide my hair in half and french braid it down each side, pull it together at the base of my neck into a bun or pin the ends up under each other. Then I add a headband or a cute all around the head elastic (I found a couple of gold/bronze braided ones at the BR outlet that are my go-to)

25. Heather says:

I haven’t had hair on the shorter side for awhile, but you should be able to get quite a lot of it off your neck with scarves or using bobby-pins/clips. I’ve seen quite a few hair inspiration boards on Pinterest, so I bet you could find some interesting and more specific ideas on there!

26. Pam says:

I second the suggestion about Goody twist pins for pulling hair back — “Spin Pins,” I think they’re called. Lovely, lightweight, easy, unbreakable. Love ‘em.

27. Terri says:

I am old enough for the red-hat society. You are not in danger. Can you twist your hair into a French roll?

28. [...] to your advice, I tried a modified version of the Real Simple tutorial for three low buns at the nape of the neck. [...]

29. Libby says:

You won’t be pegged for a red-hatter, don’t worry. You’re far too chic and adorable.
    I love the stripes and red. Well played!
    I privately make fun of grown ups who wear pigtails. It’s probably not fair, but I think it automatically throws their credibility and judgement into question.

30. Dayanara says:

Information is power and now I’m a !@#$ing dctitaor.