6 June 2011 – Trying a Triad

• Teal cami – BR Outlet
  • Belt – Gap Outlet
  • Sandals – Target
  • Necklace – Earring turned pendant
  • Bike – 1969 Raleigh Sports
  • Helmet – Giro

Remember our color modules? When I pulled this purple jersey dress off its hanger and added the orange skinny belt to it, I realized that I was one color away from creating a triad. So I reached for a teal (blue-green) camisole to complete the look. For any color theory purists out there, I realize that this isn’t a ‘true triad’ of purple, orange, and green, but it comes pretty close. And in fact, I’d say that near triads often end up looking just as bold and punchy but in a better, more subtle way. Take a look…

27 July 2009 19 November 2009
16 February 2009 16 May 2009

While straight-up oranges, purples, and greens can end up looking a bit Crayola, blue-greens, red-oranges, plums, and aubergines can make for a much richer or more sophisticated color palette. I kept the rest of the outfit simple in terms of color with a navy tote and silver sandals completing the look. (Silver, like navy, is a neutral in my book).

If you could pick any three colors, but only three colors, to wear for an entire month, what would they be? – S.

6 June 2011 - Trying a Triad

Tagged , , , ,

§ 19 Responses to 6 June 2011 – Trying a Triad"

1. Mistie Watkins says:

I love this outfit! You look wonderful.

2. Mojca says:

Red, pink and green – most definitely!

3. Firesparx says:

Love this colour combo, it’s so fresh and fun!

4. Mandy Ford says:

Love this color combo – so bright and fun! And you look great! Hmm…three colors? I think I would have to pick turquoise, brown and green.

5. Brandy says:

I know it’s probably boring, but they are my favs – black, brown, white (and if white doesn’t count – grey)!!

6. Amber says:

Hmm, I think I’d settle on navy, orange, and plum. You look beautiful. I love that dress!

7. I love looking at all the combos you ladies come up with….my colors would be Navy, Kelly Green, and Coral

8. Jasmine says:

For me, definitely gold, kelly green and crimson. It’s a risk – since I’d definitely look a bit “traffic light” – but provided I get navy as a neutral, I could definitely make it work.

9. Caroline says:

I love this look and the inclusion of previous outfits.

10. Rachel says:

Orange, purple, and lime green – I often wear combinations of these 3 colours, so there’s no question.

11. Nadine says:

Wow, you look fantastic in all that colour, like a poster girl for the joyousness of pregnancy! My 3 faves are red, blue and green.

12. Laura says:

I’m going to pretend like neutrals don’t count because I NEEEEEEEEEED them in my life. But the non-neutrals? Just three?

Dark turquoise, blood red, and moss green.

13. Mel says:

Assuming that neutrals don’t count… magenta, turquoise and the same purple of your dress.

14. Angeline says:

What a gorgeous color combo! I’m just dipping my toe into more colorful clothing, and you ladies are great inspiration. If I had to choose three colors, it would be blue (jeans), white, and beige/tan. Boring, I know.

15. Christine says:

I’d pick gray, red, and olive. Gray is my go-to light neutral, red looks good on me, and I just gravitate toward all shades of green in clothing – especially dark olive green, which I see as versatile enough to work as a neutral most of the time. For example, olive is the only shade of green I can pair with red without feeling too Christmas-y.

This question made me remember these interviews with people who chose to wear just *one* color for *years*!: http://nymag.com/fashion/08/spring/44210/

16. You look amazing! I am bummed the dress is thrifted because I’d love to have it for myself! I have a coral beaded necklace and have noticed how great it looks with turquoise and purple, but I’ve never mixed all three before. If I had to settle for just three colors, I’d pick purple, turquoise, and navy (though I often wear navy as a neutral)… but I love navy with coral, too.

17. Emily says:

You AND your bump look gorgeous.

18. Quest for Fashion Sense says:

The purple, teal, and red combination looks FANTASTIC!

19. Veronica says:

I’ve never heard of triads used for fashion before! I just read the fashion 101 on choosing colors. I think if I had to choose three colors (neutrals excluded, of course), I’d go with purples (plum in particular), green (seafoam since it’s summer), and probably an orange/coral color for days when I’m feeling really bold.