1 June 2011 – Last Day of Classes!

June 1st, 2011 § 16 comments

1 year down!

• Dress: Banana Republic outlet
  • Sweater: BR outlet
  • Belt: American Apparel
  • Shoes: Pucci (gift from mom)

That’s right – this week I had my last day of classes for the year, which means I’m almost done with my first year of teaching high school English!!! I remember at the beginning of the year when I was a) a new teacher b) training for a marathon and c) blogging for the first time and honestly I’m not sure how I got through all that. But, here we are, early June and I’ve survived – thanks in large part to the support of my friends (and co-bloggers) and family. Thank you to everyone who helped me through this year of massive transitions and first days – and that includes all of you who wrote encouraging comments! As our Dean of Faculty told me during the first week (when I may or may not have been crying in his office), “Every day is a first day in your first year of teaching.” And he’s right. Every time I stepped in my classroom this year, it was the first time I was teaching that lesson or discussing that book. As the year went on, I learned how to gauge my students more, and I could anticipate how each section was going to react to certain things and could begin to tailor things a little more. Having one year under my belt, as it were, makes me so excited for next year, when I’ll have a much better idea what to expect!

2010 - First Day of Classes 1 June 2011 - Last Day of Classes!

Anyway, back to the clothes. I wanted to wear something on my last day that would remind me how far I’ve come this year – and would include things that I love: anything pink and fabulous shoes. The base of this outfit is the same as what I wore on the first day of school. I switched in a bright green cotton cardigan for the turquoise one I ended up wearing the first day (not pictured), and moved my stretchy belt to the outside. This is definitely one of my matchy-matchy outfits since the pink and green are perfectly reflected in the pink and green of my fantastic satin Pucci flats.

Pucci Shoes

The learning curve of a new teacher is pretty much exponential, and I feel so great coming out of this year with all the knowledge and ideas I’ve gained and cannot wait to implement new things for next year. I’m pretty sure that’s the best way possible to end a year – excited for the next year to come. Not that I’m not going to enjoy my summer. Oh, boy. Summer. Here I come! What are you all up to for the summer???

L.

1 June 2011 - Last Day of Classes!

Tagged , , , , , ,

§ 16 Responses to 1 June 2011 – Last Day of Classes!"

1. kathy says:

Congrats on surviving your first year! Will you stay in New England for the summer or go somewhere else?

• admin says:

Thanks Kathy! I’ll be bouncing around New England mostly, and I have a 10 day trip to Peru to look forward to as well!

L.

2. Jennifer M. says:

Congrats, L.! Love the outfit. Those flats are to die for!

3. Heather says:

I have to admit, knowing you cut your hair takes away the illusion and I wonder when these pics were really taken. But that’s small potatoes and a blogging thing. The clothes and you look great!

• admin says:

Hi Heather,

I just wanted to clear the time line up for you with these pictures. The picture on the left is from the beginning of the year, and the one on the right is from this week.

L.

4. Elissa says:

Very cute! I love how that belt looks with the sweater!

5. Secret Squirrel says:

Happy teaching/ blogging anniversary L! I always enjoy your posts. I feel like I get into a similar situation often, when I take on several big things at once. As my mum said once, ‘you don’t make your life easy for yourself, do you’. Hope you get a relaxing Summer to follow. For this one, I’m training for a half marathon, moving house and hoping for a promotion!
    …!

6. Jeanni says:

Congratulations on a whole year! What a big milestone!

7. Laura says:

As one who similarly took on many things this year (first year teaching college, finishing dissertation, moving cross-country), I share a bit in your sense of “yay! no more first days!” Except I have two more: tomorrow and Friday!
    LOVE those shoes, btw. Awesome.

8. Congratulations! I’m finishing my first year of teaching as a grad student and I know how unbelievably insane every day is. I love what your dean said, too, because it really does feel like every single time I step into that classroom it’s totally new, all over again. So congrats on wrapping up your first year and I’m really looking forward to hearing how you use your experience next year.

9. Eleanorjane says:

Hmm… a bit wistful for teaching. I taught 3 years of High School English. I still kind of miss the students
    (95% of them) and the creativity and collegiality.

Still, I’m getting paid more now, and I’ve learnt a lot about ‘the real world’ and matured quite a lot. My first year teaching was mostly a mess. I got better over the years so I felt pretty competant by the third year.

Anyhoo, enjoy your summer off! (also a bit jealous as yesterday was the first day of our winter… but I’m coming to the northern hemisphere for a couple of weeks in July, so that’s something…)

10. erinsuzanne says:

Congrats to you on completing your first year of teaching high schoolers! As a second year teacher (with 1 week to go) I can tell you that your second year is a thousand times better than your 1st. I also love the first day/last day outfit. It’s been fun following your academic year this year, thanks for sharing.

11. Jess says:

Congratulations L. on completing your first year! You look fantastic in this outfit and I truly love the shoes. Your mom is a gift picking winner!

12. laniza says:

Congratulations on completing your first year! As someone else said, your 2nd year will be infinitely better than your first!

13. Ruth says:

Congratulations, L! You’re a superhero! Now go find a nice, shiny cape and fly somewhere wonderful for a well-earned vacation!

14. Jenn says:

Congrats on your first year! Believe me, the next year(s) will be so much easier. I remember my first year teaching high school math, and boy was it tough. I didn’t do anything but plan and grade. I had no life outside of school and am so surprised you were able to keep up with blogging. But now that I’m finishing my third year, I’m so glad that’s over with. I even have time to myself now, which is awesome! May the good times roll.

Complex Cardigans