30 May 2011- On Sharing (Maternity) Clothes

May 30th, 2011 § 10 comments

Teal and Orange

Orange necklace- consignment store
Gray tank – BE Maternity
Teal top – inherited from E.
Skinnies – ON Maternity
Flats- Target
Bag – Kenneth Cole Reaction
Bike – 1969 Raleigh Sports

This is what I wore last Friday to meet a friend at a coffee shop for cappuccinos and some German conversation. I inherited this teal pregnancy top from E., who wore it during her first pregnancy. When she went through her pregnancy clothes for this time around, she purged some items that she knew she wouldn’t be wearing again, and I was lucky enough to inherit them. I have two thoughts on sharing and inheriting maternity items:

• It’s great!
  • It can be a ‘false triumph’

1) The advantages:

It’s great if you have friends who can share their maternity items with you because it saves you from having to spend too much money on items that you’ll wear for a limited amount of time. I compiled the majority of my maternity wardrobe from thrift stores, consignment shops, hand me downs, and only a few actually new items (my maternity jeans and a few ‘workhorse’ layering tanks). It’s also a great thing if you have friends who share your sense of style and aesthetic and who will give you pieces that you would have likely bought for yourself.

2) The disadvantages:

It can trap you into wearing something that doesn’t work for you because it’s free, you feel guilty spending money on clothes that won’t get worn for too long, and you feel bad turning down a thoughtful friend. Don’t fall into this trap! If you’re not as lucky as I am to be inheriting clothing from someone as stylish as E., (or maybe the gift giver is stylish, but it’s just not your style), politely decline. Someone else may really appreciate the offerings, and it doesn’t have to be you. I often hear women say that they don’t care what they wear or how something fits when it comes to maternity clothes because it’s temporary and they already have misgivings about their changing and growing body that less than ideal outfits ranks low on their list. I think that particularly at this time, when you want to feel good about your body, you should ruthlessly cull things that don’t serve that purpose. It’s ok to rotate between the same five dresses or maternity tops if you feel truly great in them when you wear them. When it comes to maternity wardrobes, my take is that less (but great) really is more.

So if version #2 above best describes how you feel about maternity hand me downs, do yourself a favor and just say no.

Have you encountered this dilema with shared clothing or hand me downs in general? What have you done in those situations?

Teal and Orange Plaid flats

And on a non-related side note, I’ve received several questions about cycling while pregnant. I’m always happy to answers those questions directly within the comments on this site, but I also wanted to point out that I write more at length about this topic on my bike (and life) blog, Simply Bike. You can read my latest post on cycling into the third trimester here. ~S.

IMG_6266

Tagged , , ,

§ 10 Responses to 30 May 2011- On Sharing (Maternity) Clothes"

1. HokieKate says:

I requested some hand-me-down skirts from a friend a month ago, and have yet to wear them. Her normal clothing looks great, so I expected the same from her maternity clothes. They are disappointing. Still, it is nice to have them in my closet because it redirects me towards making the pieces I love work (beloved non maternity with a belly band, or the same great dress over and over again) instead of just complaining about the lack of options.

2. Jen L says:

I had friends and acquaintances that just sent me boxes of things, so I had no idea what they would send or if it would fit me. I kept what I thought I would wear and anything that didn’t fit or didn’t suit me, I donated to Goodwill so that someone else could use it.

3. [...] post on sharing — or not sharing — maternity clothes also brought to mind a recent reader question about what to bring to a clothing swap, that is, how [...]

4. I didn’t borrow any pregnancy clothes while pregnant, but I definitely bought a few pieces that I felt great in. I wore them over and over and over again, but I felt GREATin them. To get some variety, I restyled the pieces with different accessories.

5. I actually turned down a lot of maternity clothing, and I haven’t shared mine with anyone else. GASP.

I know, it feels a little selfish. But, our hope is certainly to have another kid some day. And I couldn’t imagine giving away the few beloved maternity pieces that I did actually buy, imagining how hard it would be to do it all again. By the same token, I turned down offers of clothes because I knew deep-down that I’m picky about clothes. Like you noted, I didn’t want to feel trapped into wearing things I didn’t like because they were free, when I could make so much of my wardrobe work anyway.

However. I will certainly find a good home for them after the next kiddo, whenever that may be. Right now, they’re folded carefully in storage, waiting for me to forget how crazy this year has been–and deciding it would be a good idea to do it all over! :)

• admin says:

Amy, I know, I plan on keeping everything that I liked and that worked well for this pregnancy because I know I want more kids. It’s not selfish, just practical, right? ;)

6. Ruth says:

I love those shoes!!!

7. DM says:

Definitely keep what worked for you for the next pregnancy. I just finished my 2nd pregnancy (am now happy mom of 2 boys!) and I know that it made me happy to wear the few pieces I loved while pregnant with my first son, even when I felt physically terrible. Apart from being practical, I felt it was significant to have that kind of continuity between the kids, even before the second birth. So it can be emotional and nostalgic as well.

8. Kristy says:

Articles like this are an example of quick, helpful asenwrs.

9. Hildred Tichy says:

For many decades during the 20th century, maternity wear was considered a “fashion backwater.” Pinafores were the most common style and were often sold through nursery shops. Maternity clothing hasn’t generally been considered a potentially profitable area for most major clothing manufacturers.,**,

Current post produced by our blog site <http://healthdigest101.comgp