J’s Graduation

On A:

• Dress worn as skirt – Gap Outlet
  • Navy Ruffle Tank – Gap
  • Belt – Old Nanvy
  • Grey Pumps – Banana Republic Factory Store
  • Earrings – F21

Last week our Midwest University celebrated commencement and I was there to watch our special guest poster J. receive his masters.  J. has been a kind of little brother to me these past two years (he has also been called my adopted son) and so I was quite proud of him.  I’m very happy for his accomplishments but will miss him (and his fabulous style) terribly when he moves away from Academichic Central in a few short weeks.

Commencements can be a funny thing to dress for.  There are proud patents in their “Sunday best” and many students in casual duds.  It’s a formal celebratory event, but it takes place outside in the sun and, in our case, involved quite a bit of walking.  So, I opted  for a casual summer dress and my comfy suede peep-toes.  I dressed things up a bit  by layering a ruffly tank over the built-in tank of the dress. I was dressed up enough for the two ceremonies but cool and comfortable enough to walk across campus a couple times and downtown for a celebratory meal.

J. the Graduate!

J. had quite the snazzy outfit, as is to be expected.  Unfortunately, we didn’t really think to capture what was under his regalia.  He wore the pants and shirt from his Banana Republic interview suit with owl cuff-links and a purple and fuchsia bow tie, which happened to match his celebratory drink perfectly!

Cheers J!

Tagged , , ,

§ 13 Responses to J’s Graduation"

1. tanya says:

I was at the same ceremonies last week, since I received my PhD in history from said uni, too! Congrats to J., and great pics!

2. Simply Bike says:

Yay, congratulations, J!! :) I’m so excited for you and wish you all the best with the new chapter in your life! I will miss you at academichic central though! xoxo

S.

3. Lizzy says:

Congratulations on graduating! I work at this campus and a lot of my friends also graduated last week wearing these same gowns :)

4. Erin says:

Aw, I’m so sad I didn’t realize we were at the same Midwestern University with fantastic regalia :-) I finished my undergrad there last year.

5. Kimi says:

Your outfit is perfect for sitting through a commencement ceremony – comfortable, but still dressy. Nice work. And congrats to J! What a great feeling it is to finish something you started, and finish it well.

I think it’s high time someone redesigned graduation regalia – at least the caps. I mean, I understand the association with a long and respected tradition…but their general silliness stands in direct opposition to the seriousness of academia. But maybe that’s the point? If that’s the case, carry on, silly caps. Carry on.

I like J’s tie!

6. Carolyn says:

Oh! Looks like I graduated from the same Midwestern University. :) For the sake of semi-anonymity, I’ll refrain from gushing about the school. I do prefer J’s outfit to the one I wore under similar robes, though!

7. ABD says:

My alma mater, too. Although I graduated 21 years ago!

8. I love how J and you matched! And congratulations to J!

9. m says:

Chalkdust and Boots took the words out of my mouth. Your belt and J’s robe coordinate nicely, as do your purple talk and his shirt underneath.Congratulations, J. Quite an accomplishment!

10. Laura says:

Congratulations, J! And A, looking stunning as always…

11. DM says:

My best friend from grad. school is a faculty member at your university and I’ve heard all about the uniquely colored robes — nice to see them in a photo! And I love that your outfit matches the robes!

12. Sara says:

Nice!! Cute outfit. Congrats, J!!

13. Pristine says:

Congratulations! J looks cute as usual. Would love to see more Academichic boy style posts too!