25 May 2011 – Blocked

May 25th, 2011 § 6 comments

Blocked

• Dress: Ann Taylor Loft, lengthened by me
  • Obi belt: from another dress
  • Patterned wedges: Kenneth Cole, via DSW
  • Necklace: Figs and Ginger, Mothers Day gift

An extra look from the weekend, making a delayed appearance…

The last time I blogged this dress, it was a solid — and extremely comfortable — gray. Since then, I decided that I would get more wear out of it if I lengthened it a tad to make it more amenable to biking and sitting on the floor with my toddler. I had another jersey dress in my donate pile that thankfully had a similar skirt fullness, so I just cut off a good wide band from the purple dress and stitched it on to the bottom of my gray dress. As an added bonus, I get to claim that I’m participating in the world of color blocking.

Obi detail

And here is my super secret tip for making all jersey outfits feel more polished: accessorize or layer with a non-jersey fabric. Here, a raw silk obi helps elevate an otherwise shapeless and relatively plain dress. But adding a silk or woven cotton scarf, throwing on a structured jacket, or topping everything off with a woven vest could have a similar effect. I am all for as much jersey as possible, but sometimes, when I need that extra bit of put-togetherness, a non-jersey accessory offers a simple solution without compromising comfort. How do you dress up your jersey?

Blocked

Wedges

Tagged , , , , ,

§ 6 Responses to 25 May 2011 – Blocked"

1. Jasi says:

LOVE those shoes!

2. Teresa says:

I love the change to the dress.

3. ismay says:

That is an excellent point about jersey outfits. All-jersey does indeed look a bit sloppy for work and needs something to elevate or structure it. I also find that certain patterns make jersey look dressier than pale solids.

4. kelly says:

S, and E, I just wanted to tell you thank you for all your wonderful mama blogging about how/what to wear. A coworker sent me your website over a year ago, and I have been a failthful reader ever since. I just recently found out I was pregnant (!!) and already feel like I’ll know how to dress and shop for myself as my body changes. I’ve been following Simply Bike also, and look forward to this new adventure i’ve begun!

5. Holly says:

Adding a couple extra inches is such a good idea. I don’t know why I didn’t think of it. As a fellow tall girl, my skirts and dresses often fall 2-3 inches shorter than I would like. Thanks for the tip!

6. Amanda says:

Not for work, but I dressed up a striped jersey dress with some black capri stockings and some open-toed heels. The stockings felt a little “naughty,” but the sweetness of the dress seemed to balance it out. Great for a Friday night out!