24 May 2011

24 May 2011 - Plaid side

• Dress: Moulinette Soeurs via Anthropologie
  • Sweater: Gap outlet
  • Belt: Old Navy outlet
  • Camisole (under): Banana Republic outlet
  • Shoes: BR

I think S. brings up a great question: How do you best dress with stress? I had wondered at the beginning of this school year if during 9 months of dressing for classes 6 days a week there would come a point at which I absolutely could not stand to get dressed in the morning. For me getting dressed is fun. Obviously I enjoy it or else I wouldn’t bother playing around with what I wear, nor would I take the time to blog about it. Certainly in these last 9 months there have been days, or weeks even, when looking at my closet has inspired more dread than pleasure, but for the most part I’ve enjoyed starting my day playing “dress-up.” As I’ve said before, I use clothes to get me revved up, keep me motivated, and put on a brave front when I’m not feeling so tough inside.

24 May 2011 - Plaid back

However, in these last few weeks of school, as the weather has not warmed and the rain keeps falling, I have hit my wall. I have been going back to old, faithful staples that I’ve been wearing since I was in high school: corduroys and Birkenstocks. I haven’t blogged these outfits both because I feel “frumpy” in them and because it’s definitely not corduroy season in most of the country, so who cares how I styled a pair of cords in mid-May when really you want to know how to wear sundresses and straw hats?

24 May 2011 - Plaid

Anyway, today I was actually feeling motivated enough to pull on a dress, a belt, and some cute flats. Pretty good considering there is a 70% chance of rain. Oh well, it’s time for me to bundle up for another afternoon of coaching in the drizzle. I probably will change out of these super comfy flats in favor of some waterproof sneakers, but who wants to see pictures of those?

- L.

Olive Banana Republic Flats

Tagged , , , , , ,

§ 21 Responses to 24 May 2011"

1. Oy, I’ve been having the same experience. I’m starting to feel like every even remotely sunny day is some sort of victory and every cloudy, gray, rainy day (which is the majority of days) is some kind of personal insult against me from the great beyond. I do feel better when I look better, though, so I’m trying to do the same thing you’re doing: pull on a dress, slap on a smile, and try to remember that summer’s coming soon.

2. Quest for Fashion Sense says:

Your flats are so cute! I wouldn’t mind seeing your waterproof sneakers – they’d be great to wear for kayaking!

3. Jen says:

Great outfit! I love how you styled this dress.

I also live in New England and have been dealing with the weird weather too. But last week I had a style victory too– I realized the cool rainy weather meant I could pull out my boots and so I put together a shirtdress + boots outfit. Topped it with a corduroy blazer (yep, I’m still styling corduroy too) and added a floral scarf in an attempt to acknowledge spring.

What’s weirdest about this weather is not just the rain but the way it’s been fluctuating between cold+rainy and icky-humid + rainy. I think that’s been throwing me more. Today I dressed for cold/rainy and it’s too hot!

4. I know what you mean. I tend to default to jeans and simple shirts when I’m stressed out. I have a pair of wide-leg jeans that I would live in if I could. Stress seems to zap my creativity completely. That said, I love what you’re wearing today! The bright blue of the dress and sweater are gorgeous, and dresses with pockets are the best.

5. Sally says:

Depressing weather is the BIGGEST factor in hampering my stylistic enjoyment! I feel for ya, lady. I do, however, ADORE how you’ve styled your shirt dress here!

6. Shira says:

LOVE this outfit!!! One of my favorites I’ve seen you wear.

7. Elisabeth says:

I definitely understand! For the past month or so, bloggers have been wearing cute sundresses, sandals, etc. while it’s been raining and in the mid-50s here. Even when it warms up, it’s only in the mid-60s… So it’s nice to hear that someone else is frustrated by a late spring :-)

8. maryeb says:

You look great in this outfit. I love the sweater over this dress.

9. Maggie says:

L, as a fellow northeast resident who’s also been dealing with an un-spring-like spring, I completely feel your pain! While my cords are pretty comfy, it’s disappointing to still be wearing them in late May.

10. Miranda says:

I’m new to the midwest — and I’m learning so much about the exact experience you (and some other responders) are having! As a south-Texan, I can’t fathom how I’m pulling out sweaters in mid-May. But super-applause to you for this outfit, which really makes the best of it all.

11. Penny says:

i really dont know hwo to deal witht his weather- so warm over easter that i packed all my winter clothes and brought up all my summer ones, and now- constant wind and rain!aargh!

12. Jenn says:

I love the belt over the cardigan. I always try to layer my dresses and it never works out. But your outfits gives me some pointers as to how to pull it off well.

Complex Cardigans

13. April says:

I’m currently unemployed, and there are days when I don’t leave the house and wonder what the point is of getting dressed. Honestly, if it weren’t for my blog and my 30 for 30 challenge I probably wouldn’t. It’s a lot more fun when the weather is nice and I have someplace to be.

That said, this dress is absolutely beautiful.

14. Kendra says:

I feel you about the dreary New England weather! But I must say this is one of my favorite outfits you’ve posted. I’m inspired to recreate it from my closet!

15. AJ says:

Another New England dreary weather sympathizer. Even when it’s jeans and cords with waterproof sneakers, I find that brighter colors make me feel better about the gray skies. Your bright blue cardigan shows just that. Cheers to you and may warmer weather find us for the long weekend.

16. Sophia says:

Honestly, L.? I’d love to see your boring waterproof sneakers and your frumpy outfits. Not as some kind of cruel hazing, I promise! I just think the fashion blog world often puts forward this illusion that we’re all perfectly dressed all of the time. (A. and S. may talk about sitting around the house in sweats, but I’ve never seen pictures, so it’s sometimes hard to believe.)

So I’d love to see pictures of what you’re actually wearing, as opposed to what you’re wearing on your best days. I’d love to get that sense of realism that it’s okay not to look perfect and fashionable all of the time, even if you really like looking dressed up and fashionable. And I think it would be fun to talk about how can we make our frumpy comfort outfits just a smidge above, so that they feel a tiny bit less frumpy. (I think this applies more to outfits you’re teaching in/wearing out of the house, than lounge-around-in-sweats-don’t-brush-my-hair-today clothes.)

If that’s not a challenge you’re comfortable taking on, that’s okay, but I thought I’d mention that I do want to see your boring clothes as well as your interesting clothes, because that’s a little more like reality. (Although I also understand if you all feel that the mission of your blog is to inspire, and prefer just to blog outfits that you find particularly noteworthy. But man, I wish more fashion blogs at least mentioned rewearing outfits, because I think people do that All. The. Time.)

• admin says:

Hi Sophia –

I love your challenge! The truth is, I feel bad about posting on days when I’m just wearing a t-shirt and jeans or black pants and a sweater because of the reasons you mentioned. I feel like I’m supposed to inspire creativity, and blogging has inspired more creativity in my own dressing this year. I agree that it would be nice for a little more transparency when it comes to “style blogging”, and in reality I’m not dressed to the nines every day. Although, knowing that I need to take a picture has made me more aware of my clothing selections and has made me dress up WAY more than I would have without the blog as motivation — even on days when I’m not taking pictures. Once I’m out of being in classes 6 days a week I will definitely be blogging my real summer outfits – which will no doubt consist mostly of skirts, shorts, and a variety of tanks, flip flops, and sun dresses. I definitely don’t aim to be outrageous in my outfits, since I’m firmly planted in practicality and as I’ve said before, I grew up with some very traditional ideas about dressing. Pattern mixing was mind blowing for me. When it comes to re-wearing outfits, oh heck yeah! If I like an outfit, or a type of outfit, I’ll definitely recreate it. I did that once on here with a top and grey pants that I then swapped with a grey skirt. I am aware of trying not to blog the same outfit more than once, but I really appreciate seeing how people do their 30-for-30s and made due with limited choices. Anyway, I really appreciate your comment and I have struggled with the question of what exactly the purpose of a style blog is for a while. I’m not sure I have an answer, but for right now it is an attempt to spark creativity in others. I really do wear all of my outfits, though, so I’m not dressing up for 5 minutes and then changing into “real clothes.” As you can see, I have A LOT to say about this. I’ll think more about your challenge and start recording more of my less snazzy outfits.

L.

17. Beth Ellen says:

I love love love your outfit today. The dress and cardigan combination is perfect. Since I grew up in the northeast I totally understand that the tenth day in a row of rain means the same boring/warm outfit. With moving to sunny California a few years ago though I’ve definitely noticed that I dress with the weather. If it’s remotely cloudy in the morning I now dress much drabber than the usual everyday of sun.

The one thing you’re going to appreciate when all this rain is done though is how absolutely green everything is! It’s one of the things I miss the most about back home, as it’s already brown here.

18. Mel says:

You really would benefit from seeing a professional hair stylist. They can help with that problem

19. I love that dress. must-have!