17 May 2011 – Presentable for a Day

Skirt – Liz Lange Maternity, via consignment store
Tank – BE Maternity
Red wedges – vintage Etienne Aigner, thrifted
Bangle – H&M years ago
Earrings – made by me
Sunglasses – my husband’s
Bag – Dots, back in high school when I worked there :)
Bike – 1970s Peugeot Mixte
Helmet – Giro

Well, you may have noticed that I’ve been somewhat sparse around here lately. A variety of reasons are to blame for this: First, I’m done teaching and so I no longer have to dress up for work every day. Add to that the fact that as my belly’s growing, my wardrobe continues to shrink, and the fact that most days my activities consist of writing at my kitchen table, taking my dog on walks on the nearby trail, meeting friends for walks, or going to prenatal yoga. For all of these aformentioned activities, I’ve been happily donning comfortable workout shorts and my husband’s t-shirts (I’ve outgrown most of mine). So as you can see, not really blog-worthy material.

But the truth is that I wouldn’t want it any other way. It’s been a busy academic year and I’ve still got a heavy writing load to tackle before the baby is due (along with finally getting her room ready, something we’re just now getting started on), so it’s a relief to be able to slow down and take it easy on other fronts. I love being able to just get up and stay in comfortable sweats all day if I’m only going to be walking my dog, writing from home, or lounging on the patio reading. Life is all about ebbs and flows and this is definitely my time to enjoy the ‘ebb’ of being a stay-at-home pregnant woman.

17 May 2011 - 30 week belly 17 May 2011 - 30 week belly

As you can see, I did get dressed yesterday as I biked to my 30 week doctor’s appointment. And it was fun to pull our this funky print shirt that I found on my consignment shop trip with E. a while back, which feels way to fun to waste on a day of dog walking and backyard lounging. I also wiggled my feet into shoes other than Birkenstocks (but let me tell you! It was hard getting that buckle fastened. I almost gave up. It wasn’t that they didn’t fit, it was that in order to put them on, I had to bend down and clear this huge belly that made it nearly impossible to reach the clasp and fasten it). And so I did enjoy a day of looking polished and presentable. But today I’m happily back to cut off (maternity) jean shorts, a tank top, those easy to slip on Birkies, and my backpack as I bike to the library for an afternoon of writing. Right after I go walk my dog in decidedly non-red wedge shoes. ~ S.

17 May 2011

Tagged , ,

§ 12 Responses to 17 May 2011 – Presentable for a Day"

1. HokieKate says:

I’m at the same point with my shoes. I’m ashamed to admit how difficult it is to tie a pair of sneakers. Luckily, I enjoy water aerobics so I don’t have to worry about athletic shoes. Most of my strappy, high-heeled sandals I can slip on without undoing the buckle. If they need adjustment, I take them off to change the setting.

2. D says:

Very cute outfit. I don’t post much but you gals sure give me inspiration for all the events of my grad life. I am now journeying into pregnancy and your suggestion have all been postmarked for later in pregnancy.

One thing I wanted to ask about is my fear of ridicule for biking! A grad mommy friend of mine biked almost up until the end…I think until week 35 and had her daughter around week 38. She was ridiculed a lot here in Big City. She even took the extra caution of riding only on residential blocks with designated biking lanes (way to go Big city for adding bike lanes), adding tricycle-like wheels when she got to 30 weeks (not for herself but to ease her in-laws worries), etc etc.

People just freak out when they see pregnant women doing stuff….like biking, running, etc. did you experience any of this? Maybe it’s just a Big City thing? I wish I could get a doctor’s note to show overly-helpful strangers when they critique my pregnant biking as my stomach grows.

PS–my lab mate just pointed out that you have a seperate biking blog….this questions would probably better be address over there, sorry ;)

• admin says:

Hi D,

thanks for the comment and question! I have gotten mixed reactions about cycling but as far as medical professionals go – it’s been across the board positive. I’ve seen three different midwives thus far who have all ok’ed my biking (and running, walking) and yesterday, for our 30 week appt, we actually saw a doctor because of a complication we have with the baby. She’s got a two-vessel umbilical cord rather than a three vessel one. Once again, my husband brought up the subject of excercise to confirm that it doesn’t harm the baby if I’m working out. He said that no, it’s perfectly fine. As I had my bike helmet in the appt room with me, I even specifically said that I was still cycling and walking my dog on a regular basis and he said that was good, no problems with that whatsoever.

I think that people in the US are just not used to people cycling for everyday transport to begin with, so when a pregnant woman does it, it seems even more unconventional and scary. In (Western) Europe, where people used bikes in abundance and there’s a real established culture of getting around my bike, it’s nothing unusual about seeing pregnant women bike. So the idea that it’s somehow harmful is mostly a cultural thing.

Of course, every pregnancy is different, and with any excercise, I’d check with a medical professional to make sure it’s fine. But if you were cycling before being pregnant, and are comfortable on a bike, I don’t know why that would change once pregnant. I go slower now and have decreased my mileage as I’ve hit the third trimester and I tire more easily, but I plan on cycling all the way until I give birth. It feels good to move my legs, stay fit, and know that I’m in good shape when I give birth (something that also takes stamina and fitness). Yo might also find this recent article interesting: a study done on pregnant women who excercise, posted on my bike blog.

I hope that addresses your question a bit. As with anything, I’ve found that lots of people have lots of opinions about everything you do when it comes to parenting or being pregnant. It’s good to step back and question whether those opinions are based on medical findings or cultural beliefs and which of those you want adopt yourself and which don’t seem to make sense to you. My goal has been to stay healthy, fit, and happy during my pregnancy and cycling has majorly contributed to that.

S.

3. another E says:

CU-UTE! Enjoy the last baby-free month of your life! Those last weeks go by really slowly and really quickly at the same time :).

4. Erin says:

I really love this outfit! You look super cute and comfy! Your top is super cute!

By the end of my pregnancy all I could wear were flip-flops. :) And all I wanted to wear were sweats but I still had to work until I reached 38 weeks. Believe me, once I was off all I wore were my husbands t-shirts and basketball shorts. Well, I had to go buy at least one pair of my own basketball shorts b/c his got a little tight. I was ginormous. Lol!

5. Cardinal says:

You are super cute, as always. It’s almost enough to make me miss being pregnant! Okay, not quite. Good for you for getting your shoes buckled up. My third trimester fell during a particularly snowy and icy winter. My belly was so huge (twins) that my husband had to put my boots on for me!

6. m says:

Yes, the shoe issue was one I remember well. As I got bigger, bending over at all because quite an issue. It’s great that you’re cutting your self slack and enjoying this ebb of life. Also, you look adorable!

7. Andrea says:

I know you may be done adding to your maternity wardrobe, but for what it’s worth: I lived in maternity gauchos at the end of my pregnancy. Something about them was comfy, but still kind of skirt-like, went with dressier tops but also plain old tanks or tees. They were also great for transitioning back into regular clothes again, as they were very forgiving in all areas.

I remember the looks when I was on a bike trail with my baby belly hanging down… but you do what is best for you and your family.

Curious what you think you’ll be putting baby girl in on your bike. Seat? Burley? Other? (again, maybe better suited for your bike blog…)

• academichic says:

Hi Andrea,

thanks for the tip about the gauchos! I have a skirt with that kind of waistline and I really love how comfortable it is.

As for cycling with baby – I have broached the topic on Simply Bike and will continue to post about it there. I’ve read up on the different options and consulted with the guys at my bike shop and I think we’ll start out with a Burley trailer (we’re looking on Craigslist for one right now). I am hopeful that we’ll be able to put her carseat in it this fall already when she’ll be a couple of months old for just some leisurely rides on the smooth, paved trails. Once she’s older, I think a bike seat would be easier (more compact) but that might be a ways away.

If you’re interested in the topic, I’ll be sure to post about it more on my bike blog, especially once little C. is born and we’ll be exploring cycling as a family.

S.

8. Maureen says:

S, you continue to be radiant and more than presentable! At the end of my first pregnancy, my feet were swollen and I could only fit into one pair of shoes: pink loafers had to go with all in the middle of February!

9. Nadine says:

Love how you’re keeping it real! :)

10. [...] I noted the last time I wrote, for me being productive and getting a lot of writing and nesting done means not having to get [...]