13 May 2011 – Book By Its Cover

May 13th, 2011 § 27 comments

13 May 2011 - Book By Its Cover

• Cardigan: Target
  • Tank: Old Navy
  • Skirt: thrifted maternity dress, cut into skirt
  • Belt: Old Navy
  • Shoes: Steve Madden
  • Bracelet: gift from A.
  • Book: Making Face, Making Soul / Haciendo Caras: Creative and Critical Perspectives by Feminists of Color,” edited by Gloria AnzaldĂșa

I seem to have reached my nerdiest plane of wardrobe inspiration yet. I’ve been working with Gloria AnzaldĂșa’s edited volume, Making Face, Making Soul / Haciendo Caras for the past few days, and it was still sitting on the dining room table when I sat down for breakfast this morning. “I really like these colors together,” I thought. “I should wear them.”

Making Face, Making Soul

This is a fairly loose interpretation of the book cover’s color scheme (largely because I don’t really have anything in that yummy deep purpley magenta that still fits) and I doubt that anyone I see today will exclaim, “Hey, you look JUST LIKE the cover to Making Face, Making Soul!” Still, it makes me happy to be wearing a kind of secrete homage to a book full of writings that I love.

Anyone want to join me? If you’re inspired to create a book-cover outfit in the next week, leave a comment or send us an e-mail (chic at academichic dot com) of both your book of choice and your sartorial interpretation. We’ll feature submitted outfits the following week.

I leave you with one of my favorite methodological mantras in the book, from Maria Lugone’s contribution to the volume, “Playfulness, ‘World’ Traveling, and Loving Perception,” a moving and accessible essay about adopting an attitude of playfulness in order to know other women’s worlds:

Playfulness is, in part, an openness to being a fool, which is a combination of not worrying about competence, not being self-important, not taking norms as sacred and finding ambiguity and double edges a source of wisdom and delight.

13 May 2011 - Book By Its Cover

Tagged , , ,

§ 27 Responses to 13 May 2011 – Book By Its Cover"

1. Meenoo says:

I love this book! I read it for an undergraduate women’s studies class. Nice outfit too.

2. Salazar says:

Oooh, that sounds like fun! I would love to create a book cover-inspired outfit! The problem is, which book should I chose?

14 Shades Of Grey

3. Melissa says:

Love this!! Also, just in case you didn’t know, “haciendo caras” (with an ‘o’ on haciendo) literally means making faces in Spanish :)

• admin says:

Sorry about that typo, Melissa! I fixed it and I changed the punctuation to more accurately reflect the fact that it is a translated title. Thanks!

- E

4. Mrs. Kate B. says:

I *love* that quote.

5. Katie says:

I am totally digging this post. I’m a female graduate student currently working on the philosophy of play and hadn’t heard of Lugone’s article until now, so that’s a definite bonus. Just this morning, too, I was thinking about how inspired I really am by you and the other powerful women/academic style bloggers. Maybe I’ll have to try my hand at matching my favorite book. Sometimes it’s so hard to remember to be playful, even when that’s the subject of my work, so thanks for the reminder.

6. Lauren says:

The idea that someone would come up to you and say “You look just like that book of essays AnzaldĂșa edited with the faces on front” is so hilarious that I kind of can’t go on with my day. I really hope it does happen now, however unlikely.

7. Bex says:

Stunning!! All book-fashion nerds need to unite…

8. Sarah says:

You are the most stylish preggers woman ever!

9. Jasmine says:

Ooh, I kind of want to play, but I made the unpopular decision to downsize my book collection and use the library/an e-reader a year or so ago. It’s been really fun giving all my books away (I only gave them to people who I thought would enjoy/actually read them, so each one was really personal) – but now the only ones I have are the Harry Potter books, some college stuff, and a rather bland copy of The House of Spirits.

10. abd says:

I love this idea. I secretly love the aesthetic of brightly colored books the shelf or worse – when organized by color (like this http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/la/flickr-finds/flickr-finds-categorizing-by-colour-018773 ). It definitely works well as an outfit inspiration! The shoes are especially great with the sweater.

11. courtney says:

i really love the idea of basing an outfit around a book cover. i also really love gloria anzaldua.
    ha. i am inspired.

12. Great idea (and great outfit)! I’m eyeing my bookshelf right now, trying to figure out which book cover would translate into the best outfit. I’m having a hard time mentally separating the book covers from the books themselves – for example, my favorite is To Kill a Mockingbird, and wearing 1930s-inspired clothing would be fun, but all that’s on the cover is a black-and-white close-up of Scout. I’ll have to think carefully…

13. Cammy says:

So today, I grabbed a book to read when I went outside while my children played. As it turns out _Policy Paradox_ has a black and white cover with a splash of red. I looked down out my outfit: black and white print dress, black jacket and skinny red belt. Perfection, without even trying!

14. Eleanorjane says:

Lovely colour combo – especially those delicious shoes, and a nice inspiration. Play on! :)

15. [...] read E.’s “Book By Its Cover” post and I immediately knew that I had to do an outfit post inspired by James [...]

16. Lydia says:

I would have never thought to pair them together, but those colors together are gorgeous! Love this whole outfit.

17. [...] to get all theme-y on everyone, but dressing like a book cover proved irresistible today. I’ve been rearranging and cleaning out bookshelves lately, and [...]

18. Emma says:

Thanks for the great idea of wearing an outfit based on a book cover! I immediately loved the idea, and after looking through both my bookshelves and my wardrobe came up with this outfit based on “Life of Pi” by Yann Martel:

19. tina matilde says:

i loved seeing this post simply because “making face, making soul” is one of my favorite books and it made me feel a little less shallow. would you mind sharing your research or dissertation topic with blog readers?

20. Salazar says:

Here’s my creation, inspired by the cover of “I, Coriander” by Sally Gardner: http://14shadesofgrey.wordpress.com/2011/05/19/i-coriander/

21. [...] couple of weeks ago I, E., got dressed like a book cover. And then, to make herself feel like she was in good nerd company, she invited others to transform [...]

22. Thanks for any other informative website. The place else may just I get that kind of info written in such an ideal approach? I have a project that I am simply now working on, and I’ve been at the glance out for such information.

23. [...] read E.’s “Book By Its Cover” post and I immediately knew that I had to do an outfit post inspired by James [...]

24. [...] of Academichic called up all fashion-minded bookworms to join her in creating a look inspired by a book cover. Of course I jumped at it. And that was when I realized, I have a lot of favorite books, but in [...]