2 May 2011 – Last Teaching Outfit for a While

Gray jersey dress – Target
Navy shirt dress – Motherhood Maternity, via consignment shop
Belt – Gap Outlet
Flats – thrifted
Necklace – gift from Costa Rica
Bangle – J.Crew, thrifted

It seems a little funny to be talking about an outfit in light of today’s (or rather, last night’s) ground breaking events. I’m sure that all of you have heard the President’s speech by now and are following things on NPR or whatever your choice of news provider is. But in case you are stopping by the site today for some lighter topics, here is my Monday post showing last week’s outfit on my last day of teaching. Not just my last day for this semester, but my last day for quite a while. I just found out that I received the dissertation fellowship for which I had applied, meaning that I will be on fellowship all of the coming academic year while I finish my dissertation and prepare to defend next May. I’m thrilled about the break from teaching as it will allow me to focus on my writing and meet my May 2012 graduation date, but I’m also a little sad to be stepping out of the classroom for so long.

Teaching is one of my favorite things about being in this profession and I was especially lucky to have some really amazing students this past year. I enjoyed waking up and going to my classes each morning and I didn’t even mind that on some days I had to be on my feet and in front of a class for three courses in a row. Because the students made it worth it. So I know that while this break from teaching will be great for my research and writing progress (and I get to be at home with little C. her first year of life!), I leave campus and my office with mixed feelings and a bit of sadness at having to say goodbye to something I really enjoy doing.

So here’s a glance at what I wore on the last day of classes. It’s nothing that spectacular as I was once more trying to get out the door quickly. I grabbed this navy maternity shirt dress and paired it with my newly thrifted flat sandals. And then, to mix things up from how I’ve previously worn this dress, I layered a gray jersey dress underneath and left the shirt dress unbuttoned and belted.

Navy and Red 2 May 2011 - Layered Dresses

For a pop of color, I added a red-orange belt and this colorful necklace that was a gift from Costa Rica.

2 May 2011 - Layered Dresses

thrifted flats

Like I said the last time I posted, I’ve been running a little low in outfit inspiration and I blame it on the changing weather as well as my constantly changing body and the need to busy myself with so many other projects and tasks that fashion has taken a back seat. As I’m now facing motherhood and a year out of the office, I’m anticipating even more challenges to my getting ready and looking ‘fashionable’ each day. And to be honest, I’m not sure that I mind. So we’ll see what the coming months and adventures will bring.

2 May 2011 - Layered Dresses

Tagged , , , ,

§ 9 Responses to 2 May 2011 – Last Teaching Outfit for a While"

1. NotaBene says:

You look great! Congratulations on the dissertation completion fellowship–what a treat to get that time to work and think.

2. Bex says:

Congratulations on the fellowship! How well-timed & hopefully it will be delightful too. I had a year off from teaching via post-doc…after some peripatetic and stressful years. I thought I would lose my mojo but it was a needed break from that stuff. Far harder was the sabbatical break…hard to get my groove back and my care for my students.

3. HokieKate says:

Congratulations! My last class is on Wednesday, and I am also sad that I won’t be in the classroom next year. My students have been wonderful.

4. CONGRATULATIONS on being awarded the dissertation fellowship!! How great for you and your family that you will be able to focus on your work and your baby in the coming year. When I left the classroom for two years to begin graduate study, I missed it a lot, but that just convinced me that it was the right profession for me… and made the return to the classroom feel even better.

It must feel great that all the hard work you’ve put in this year seem to be coming together to your advantage. It seems to me that at this stage in your life, with things working out to favor your plans, you’ll look great in whatever you put on!

5. profmom says:

You look fabulous! I always enjoy your posts, and frankly am quite envious of your cute outfits, and how they emphasize your adorable pregnancy. I was not as fortunate as a grad student to be able to display my pregnancy without judgement. You are an inspiration, thanks!

6. LeeAnne says:

I love your blog! Thanks for the inspiration to dress up for grad school and teaching!

btw… You should submit your cute summer dress outfits to this site:

7. Christina says:

Congratulations on the diss fellowship! I’m in California finishing up my dissertation (hopefully by the end of summer) and I have two boys. My oldest is 2 1/2 and the younger one is almost 6 months. Enjoy the break and enjoy every moment with your little one because it goes so fast. It feels like just yesterday I brought my youngest home and I realized the other day it’s only 6 more months until he’s probably walking/ running after his older brother.

8. Lauri says:

I’ve really enjoyed seeing your style throughout your pregnancy. I’m going to be 35 weeks on Thursday and have been creating a lot of sets on polyvore. If you’re interested my username is “laurmiller” I’m the “Anthropologist from Canada”. Congrats on everything, I hope to see more style posts from you!

9. Melissa says:

You ladies make pregnancy look so great!