29 April 2011 – Happy Last Day of Classes

April 29th, 2011 § 19 comments

29 April 2011 - Happy Last Day of Classes

• Sequin sweater: DKNY via Beacon’s Closet
  • Cardigan: Ann Taylor Loft Outlet
  • Jeans: Old Navy Maternity
  • Shoes: AM via DSW

First off, my prayers and thoughts are with the thousands of people affected by the tornadoes down South, especially in Alabama and in the Tennessee Valley, near my alma mater. My sisters-in-law are having to cut their semester short because of the damage, but I am so thankful that they are safe.

That in and of itself is a reason to celebrate and added an extra degree of joyful sincerity to my welcoming of my own last day of teaching yesterday. I elected to commemorate the day by dressing down and rocking my disco mama shirt. I think few things say, “Students, I’ve enjoyed teaching you this semester. Best wishes on the final exam,” like a striped sequined shirt. Plus, I was like a mobile dance party any time the sun hit my sparkles just right. It was a big hit with my students…and with little e.

Little E. At the Mama Disco

As S. expressed earlier this week, sometimes it’s hard to remain inspired when it comes to dressing a changing body while also juggling a host of other commitments and expectations. I definitely slipped into style doldrums on occasion during my first pregnancy, and this time around I’m trying to have a really good sense of humor about dressing a body that seems to be different every single day (or at different points during a given day). Case in point, I embraced my inner disco ball, emphasizing the bump with shimmering horizontal stripes and accepting the fact that I would call attention to myself all day. After all, one does not frequently see a glittering ball of a pregnant woman on a university campus.

Do you express a playful or humorous side of yourself on occasion through your wardrobe? How do you do so?

Mirror Ball

29 April 2011 - Happy Last Day of Classes

Tagged , , , , ,

§ 19 Responses to 29 April 2011 – Happy Last Day of Classes"

1. T. says:

I love this! I was in London years ago and saw a very statuesque, very pregnant woman walking around Hyde Park in a shimmery gold gown. She was gorgeous! She may have well been a model, there for a photo shoot, but I didn’t see an entourage around her, so it is also possible she was just a normal person going for a stroll.

2. Jaimee says:

I have to say that you guys have made me a lot less terrified of pregnancy. We are thinking about having children in the next few years, and I’ve always been scared of how my body would change during and after. Seeing both of you having so much fun has really been heartening to me. Thank you.

3. Kris10 says:

This is SO CUTE–my second favorite outfit of yours, after the so-called “soccer mom” look. I wish this outfit would magically materialize in my closet…time to shop my closet!

And yes, I think I do dress playfully sometimes, even if I’m the only one who gets it. Today I went a little more retro than usual because it’s Big Band Night at my husband’s school (he’s the band director) and I’m tired of all of my regularly scheduled clothing.

4. Rebecca says:

Congrats on being done with classes. The bright yellow and the sequins is a great look.

5. Karen says:

I think disco-ball pregnancy is wonderful! Kudos for embracing the little one inside of you :-)

I love adding a bit of playfulness to my own wardrobe. Today it was a red and black fascinator in honor of all those fabulous hats out for a spin at the Royal Wedding. But my ultimate favorite bit of fun in my closet is a great vintage button-up-back apron with red cherries and green ric-rack. It’s great over a black shirt and black leggings!

6. fatimah says:

so adorable! love the sequins and the bright cardi :)

7. kelsey says:

the world needs more maternity style! you look amazing.

8. Amanda B. says:

I would be exceptionally happy if one of my instructors showed up to class like this. Especially on finals week.

I have a silly blouse with cutesy owls printed all over it that I bought at a boutique in the winter. It’s 100% trendy and 0% grown up, but I love it and I’ve worn it about a thousand times. Something about playful outfits makes everything better.

9. Kayla says:

I pretty much adore every single outfit you’ve ever posted. You’re amazing.

I love wearing form fitting things when I’m pregnant. It’s kind of nice to stop sucking in for 9 months, might as well show it off!

Kayla
    Freckles in April

10. Rachel says:

I love this outfit! The yellow cardi and shoes really add to the fun factor and yellow really works well with indigo and grey. I’m trying to add more colour to my wardrobe – I tend to favour blues, black and greys/charcoal, and you make it look so easy!

11. SAA says:

Couldnt agree more with the earlier comment that I love/like every outfit you ever post. You have great taste & awesome style. I am also less wary of a second pregnancy in no-style watching you & little e. SO wonderful to see a fellow academic who gives femininity, style &good taste it’s due without apology. Happy end of semester!

12. Erica says:

This is one of my favorite looks ever! I am a jeans, fun top and cardigan kind of girl and you look adorable and happy in this ensemble!

13. I think that “inner disco ball” might be the best name for Baby that I’ve ever heard…

14. megannielsen says:

Oh my goodness your little guy has gotten so big!!! Adorable!!!

15. Eleanorjane says:

Beautiful, fun, Springy outfit! Great to bring a bit of sparkle and joy to the world! :)

16. Bex says:

You’re an excellent role model for legions of women…some of whom, at 19 or 22, may not be thinking of pregnancies just yet…or kids…. But I would bet a lot that they will recall your verve and beautiful approach to a changing body and want to emulate it! [I remember pregnant women in the late 1970s and 1980s dressing super muu-muu from month 6 onward...]

Rock on!

Also: envious…we don’t end till this week, then exams, graduation, etc. It’s nearly end of May before my town breathes again (me too!).

17. Whitney says:

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers–I live in North Alabama and I went to school at UAHuntsville. Which school is your alma mater?

18. LE says:

That disco light photo is pretty magical.