28 April 2011

28 April 2011

• Dress – Banana Republic
  • Tank – J Crew
  • Necklace – made from an earring bought in China Town, SF
  • Earrings – Banana Republic
  • Wedges – Kenneth Cole Reaction, via DSW

The sun has finally come out for more than an hour!  I’m celebrating with open toed shoes! It’s still very humid but I’ll take it.

I bought this dress on super sale in the Fall and have worn it several times, but just never managed to capture a picture of it.  It’s a great simple dress in a lovely shade of grey.  Jersey dresses make life easier.  They are comfortable AND polished and they make getting dressed in the morning quick and painless – just add shoes and accessories.  That being said, not all jersey dresses work for me and I won’t wear any jersey dress with out wearing my spanx.  In comment on one of E.’s jersey dress posts reader Holly asked about our use of shapewear when wearing jersey.   I can’t speak for the other chics, but I love my spanx and my knock-off spanx and am not comfortable in a jersey dress without them.  Jersey shows everything!  For this dress I wore my thicker knock-off spanx I purchased at Target a few years ago because I really wanted a smooth line but wasn’t worried about the dress being too tight.    What about you?  What kind of shapewear do you use and with what garments?

Earring turned necklace

For my little pop of color in this neutral palette I wore my neck jade-colored pendant.  I bought this pair of jade earrings from a street vendor just outside China Town in San Francisco.  I loved the shape and color and thought they would be a great addition to my short-hair earring collection.  Unfortunately, they are way too heavy – they stretch my earlobes (which I’m worried could have permanent effects).   So, I just removed the earring hook and strong the pendant on a silver chain…voila I have a new statement necklace!

Ok, one more day of classes!  I can do it!  Hope the semester is wrapping up nicely for all of you!

28 April 2011

Tagged , , , ,

§ 17 Responses to 28 April 2011"

1. Nerd Girl says:

You are rocking the hell out of that dress! Good look!

2. Kathleen says:

I have that dress in black, grey, and navy – LOVE IT! You’re right, though, it definitely requires Spanx.

Note: I purchased this dress in a size small, and it make its way through 30 weeks of pregnancy with me. Amazing stretch power. Now that the baby is a little shy of 5 months and I’m back to normal size, the dress still fits. Amazing RECOVERY power. I swear, it’s a magic dress.

3. ashley says:

What’s the secret to making Spanx feel semi-comfortable? I have a pair of the Spanx that look like nude bicycle shorts and my God … I might hate them more than pantyhose. I bought the size that should work, according to my measurements, but maybe I should size up? I felt like the bottom of the legs was way too tight and the middle part just sort of smooshed my fat upward. Sorry, sorry, that’s graphic. But I’d love to figure out a way around this problem because I have a bunch of jersey dresses that go unworn because of this issue.

4. Sky says:

I bought the same dress on super sale in the fall, too! I love it, but I always feel awkward about my stomach when I’m not wearing tights. Now that the weather is warming up I thought I would have to retire the dress along with my stockings for the spring and summer. I’ve never thought of trying Spanx!

5. Loren says:

Yeah, you look pretty rocking in that outfit.
    I’m a ‘let it all hang out’ type of girl, and I don’t wear any type of constricting under garments with my jersey dresses. For me the advantages of wearing them don’t out way the discomfort of walking around in spanx all day.
    I’d like to pretend this is because I am in great shape and have zero belly fat, but mostly it’s because I am shameless. ;)

6. Licia says:

I saw your pictures and admired how smooth the dress looked, even envied you! Hehehe. I own the same dress and, much like the reader above, was thinking I would retire it for the summer. I will wear this with spanx tomorrow! My guess is I can do that until summer is here, when it will be too hot for spanx.

7. Hilary says:

Have you ever tried wearing it with a slip instead? I carry most of my weight on my hips and butt (not stomach), but often i find that a half slip is enough to make me less self-conscious about any extra curves.

8. ismay says:

Looks great! For myself I abhor discomfort so spanx are a no… I find that if a jersey dress is not too tight, and not too thin (I only buy the thicker ponte type knits, unless it is a busy print, which can be thinner as it disguises much) and the skirt flares out even slightly from the hip, a longish lycra-mix camisole underneath is all that is needed to put one more layer between flesh and outside and prevent every crease of flesh from showing… A slip or half slip can be enough as well. And again, patterns are much more forgiving than non-dark solids…

• shil says:

I totally agree with this. Spanx seem like an unnecessary hassle/discomfort to me, and since I carry weight on my belly tights often dig in and look terrible. However, I have several longish stretchy tanks that I wear all the time because they seem to make every outfit look better! As an added bonus, over pants or skirts they also lengthen/de-boxify my torso. Sadly H&M seems to have changed the design of their longish stretchy tanks so I’m on the hunt for a new brand.

• Sara says:

I recently got a number of long, ribbed, stretchy tanks from Victora Secret’s PINK line that I am loving; they fit well, and don’t ride up (which is like a miracle to me, all my tanks ride up it seems).

I, too, agree on the Spanx; I have a pair, but I feel less motivated to put them on recently, even with my clingy jersey dresses. I put on weight on my hips and belly in localized areas so I am pretty darned lumpy, but I have stopped caring recently. Also, my full slip does seem to work wonders, and it’s way more comfy than Spanx!

9. admin says:

This is an interesting conversation about comfort! I actually find spanx (even more so my knock off version) very comfortable. I carry my weight in by butt and thighs so they don’t cut into my belly at all. I have a few pairs – one pair is pretty tight any I only wear them when I actually want to make myself smaller in order to fit into something that pulls across the hips – I rarely wear them. I don’t wear slips because I don’t like the bulk they add and they don’t stay in place for me. I do often wear camis or stretchy cotton tanks under things but when I am wearing a jersey dress I tuck it into the spanx otherwise I end up with a bunch around my waist.

I find spanx to be physically comfortable and make me more comfortable in my appearance.

A.

10. Bex says:

My dancing buddies dance (for 3, 4, 5 hours) in Spanx or equivalent and say they don’t get too overheated! I always wore some kind of slimming bike short thing, even under slacks, because it made me feel more confident in front of my students. I always bought a size XL or even a 1X though technically I should have worn an M; I wanted a bit of comfort.

If I had anything jersey, I think I would have to Spanx it…but I have shied away from too-clingy materials (I recently lost weight and may now be willing to try).

You look simply lovely in the dress, btw!

11. Ruth says:

I’m with the slip crowd. I can’t tell you how happy I was to inherit a collection of vintage slips recently! Slips made in the past few years seem to be ugly and/or of the wrong material to smooth things properly. Vintage slips, however, are pretty, well-made, of the right fabric, and make me feel almost indecently lovely. Utility and an instant ‘I feel pretty’ mood lifter all in one! Still, after the testimonials here, it seems like spanx might be worth investing in…

12. Amanda says:

You look fabulous, and I love that dress!! Wrap dresses are amazing.

I’m not a shapewear user, though. What I like the most about wearing dresses is how little clothing you’re actually wearing! Unless it’s cold, I love that free feeling.

13. Rachel says:

Honestly, I don’t actually *own* any Spanx. I have a slip, but don’t wear it except for sheer items where it’s really necessary for modesty. I don’t really have many jersey items as they aren’t that great for my future line of work which is in a very formal environment and mostly wear my current jersey items for casualwear. I really like the look of wrap dresses though and am trying to look for some, but they’re not that easy to find in Singapore. I might have to check out American retailers which might have better choice in that range.

14. Moni/Mae says:

This convo is very timely for me. I recently pondered purchasing slips because I wanted something comfortable and traditionally feminine to wear under skirts and dresses for work. I, too, have tried on shape-wear and find it uncomfortable. I’m hoping to find some well made slips (perhaps I will have to go to a specialty store). I had stopped buying jersey dresses, but if I find a good quality and not too clingy one, maybe I will try it out!!!

15. Marina says:

As with many of the above commenters I prefer slips under jersey and don’t use shapewear. For me it’s a slightly political thing of not believing that my body needs to be “shaped”, but still wanting my dresses to flow, rather than cling. Also because I enjoy the free feeling of dresses and when I’ve tried shapewear I feel the absolute opposite.

Still looking forward to a post you alluded to a while ago on gender/sexuality messaging and clothing choices!