25 April 2011 – New to Me

April 25th, 2011 § 17 comments

25 April 2011

• Blouse – Thrifted
  • Skirt – from L.
  • Boots- Steve Madden Intyce
  • Earrings – hand-me-down from sister M.
  • Bracelet – gift from S.’s mom
  • Denim Jacket – Gap
  • Bag – Crystalyn Kae
  • Aviators – Banana Republic

While visiting L. last weekend (so we could watch a friend run the Boston Marathon) I scored several new-to-me items.  L. was in the process of cleaning out her closet to get ready for a clothing swap she is organizing, but she let me have first dibs!  I came home with a few great things including this beautiful black pencil skirt.  I was running out of light when I took these pictures so you can’t see its lovely texture or the great kick pleat in the back.  The skirt was too long on L. but is the perfect length on me.

25 April 2011

This fun patterned blouse is also new-to-me.  I picked it up at a consignment shop in Boston (the one purchase I allowed myself to make, despite the many tempting shops L. and I wondered into).  It’s not at all my typical style: it has a bold (non-stripe) pattern, puffed sleeves, a tie at the neck, little bead buttons on the shoulder, and a bib front.  But, for some reason I was really drawn to it.  I like the funky modern pattern mixed with a more vintage cut.  Both L. and E. agree with me that this has quite an S. vibe

Shirt/Earring Detail

And, as I’m a rediscovering my collection of large earrings, I emphasized the drama of the graphic pattern with these big cut-out black earrings – a hand-me-down from my little sister.  This outfit gave me a much-needed boost of confidence for some not-so-pleasant meetings on campus.

25 April 2011 - Outer wear

I like that the blouse is a bit playful even with its more severe and formal cut.  I emphasized the playful/casual side by choosing boots instead of pumps and my denim jacket instead of a trench.
I have always loved hand-me-downs!  When I was little my mom used to come home with bags full of clothes from a friend at work who had two girls, each just a year older than my older sister and I.  We were always so excited to dig through the clothes and pick out what we wanted.  Their clothes were always much trendier than what my mom bought (which had to be timeless enough to pass through 5 girls).  I didn’t even mind hand-me-downs from my sister since she was older and cooler (plus, as I’m the second oldest, my hand-me-downs only came through one sister).  I still love getting my friends and sister’s unwanted items.
What about you?  Where you a hand-me-down kid?  Are you still?

25 April 2011 - Outer wear

Tagged , , , ,

§ 17 Responses to 25 April 2011 – New to Me"

1. Sira says:

I have become a hand-me-up type adult. I have three younger sisters, and two of them are more fashion-oriented then me. I also hate thrift stores, so I wait until they have done the hard work of thrifting and get bored with their purchases. Right now I’m wearing shoes and a cardigan I bought myself, but everything else is handed up from my youngest sister. It’s not a fool-proof system, but until I finish this Ph.D and get a real job, it will have to do.

2. Maureen says:

I noticed the earrings immediately and think they’re splendid with your hair. I am the third of four daughters and my memmories of hand me downs are unfortunately not as fond. Though today I’d be fine with it, as a kid I recall wanting to pick out things for myself at times.

3. Kimberly says:

That top is wonderful. Love it when you can thrift awesome scores like that!

4. Ooh, I love this outfit. The top picture especially is STUNNING. L’s skirt and the thrifted top are so amazing – good eye! I also love the look with the boots. I didn’t have too many hand-me-downs, as I only have one big brother, so every once in a while I stole his old stuff (sweaters, perfectly worn-in sweatshirts, etc.), but I grew out of that when I hit high school… I hope your meetings weren’t too tough.

5. Erin says:

Super cute look! I adore your new haircut. The texture is really playful!

6. Laura says:

I have older brothers, but one went through a pretty long period of wearing women’s pants. He’s rides BMX so the baggy pants that were available for guys were completely inefficient for his lifestyle. I always thought it was hilarious that he’s eight inches taller than me and was forty pounds heavier, but I could swipe his jeans. And boy did I… one of my favorite pairs in college was a pair of black skinny jeans I confiscated from him. When I wondered aloud one day how we could possibly wear the same size, he goes, “You got hips, Lu. Girl bodies are just made different.” Oh yeah. Brainwave.

But most of my hand-me-downs came from older cousins. I’ve got loads of them, so some were bound to be about my size at some point. The best ones came from my father’s cousin’s kids, girls my size who were in college when I was in high school.

And once I was in college? I lived with four other girls who all wore my size! None of us had the same shoe size (though we tried!) but we mix and matched clothes all the time. We still swap stuff when we get together.

And once in a while? My grandma snags something awesome. I have this gorgeous thick black structured cardigan with an oriental collar that she bought for herself and then didn’t really like the fit of. Win!

7. Jane W. says:

I wasn’t a hand me-down kid so much as a yard sale kid. My mother has a great eye and dressed us beautifully on my father’s highschool teaching salary.

8. Amy says:

I’m the oldest, so most of my hand me downs as a kid came from family friends. My sister is six years younger than me. I think we were both really pleased when she got big enough for us to share clothes. Now, if only we had the same shoe size!

9. Kelly says:

Love the blouse, it’s great with the haircut! I’m the oldest kid of all siblings/cousins so I never got hand-me-downs, although since growing up I always manage to snag some choice things when my mom cleans out her closet.

10. NotaBene says:

Great outfit! I think that your new haircut is well-suited for shirts with neck detailing like that. I hope your meetings went okay!

11. Eleanorjane says:

Lovely shot of the earring and neckline of the blouse – you could consider giving daily thanks for your beautiful jawline (trust me – I’ve got an inherited double chin that makes me sad…).

12. Four Seasons One Wardrobe says:

Love it! Love it! Lovev it! Everything is just perfect!

13. What a fun shirt! I like how you used the denim and boots to dress the outfit down. Cute!

14. Rachel says:

Absolutely love the outfit, everything about it is great! I really like the blouse and your hair looks amazing with it.

15. Ruth says:

1) You look amazing! I love the pairing of the always-good pencil skirt with the more whimsical, experimental top.

2) I was always a hand-me-down kid. Fall clothes shopping involved giant garbage bags of goodies from my older, cooler cousin and my mum’s friends’ kids. Now, I’ve “graduated” to funding my entire graduate school/professional wardrobe through local thrift stores, random hand-me-downs from friends, and a little DIYing. I’ve also introduced a few colleagues to the joy of the clothing swap. Yay for amazing wardrobes that you don’t have to pay full price for!

3) The brief references to your meetings sound like they were less-than-wonderful. So here’s an unsolicited advice and pep-talk: be sure not to internalize anything they say too much. You were accepted into your program for a reason, and you’ve got to keep believing in your project and your intellect.

16. [...] worn this dress a lot since I bought it at a consignment shop this winter (same place that A. picked up her fab new blouse!), and I’ve consistently struggled with what to do about the ruffle around the [...]

17. ohhh! I love your cute new haircut!! (I’m a bit slow checking in. .maybe this is old news?)
    I also adore black and brown together. . .it’s just icing on the cake that you’re carrying my tote bag! so glad you’re getting such great use out of it!