20 April 2011 – Bullying and Believing

Orange you glad

Dress – thrifted ($3)
Cardigan – NY & co.
Belt – Gap outlet
Wedges – Report, via Solestruck.com
Necklace – earring turned pendant
Bangles – thrifted and gift from dad
Bike – 1969 Raleigh Sports
Helmet – Nutcase

First, a few words on the outfit: I thrifted this dress during the winter, while it was too cold to wear it, but I bought it in anticipation of it working as a maternity dress. Besides loving the wild paisley print and beautiful warm colors, I also loved that it was jersey (read: stretchy) and with a high waist. And here I am at 25 weeks (when this picture was taken) and fitting perfectly into it. I foresee this one fitting me for a while still. I cannot wait for summer, when I’ll be able to live in stretchy comfortable dresses – my favorite maternity outfit for sure.

Orange you glad Orange you glad

Second, I’d like to thank you all for chiming in with such great comments and points of discussion on my post from Monday. I raised the issue of the media outcry regarding the pink-toenailed J.Crew boy and so many of you had such great things to add. I was particularly fascinated by the thread of discussion regarding the use of children in media and for advertising purposes. While I had focused on the gender talk surrounding this event, many of you noted another interesting issue at play here: using children to promote and advertise companies or products. I haven’t given this enough thought to formulate a concise opinion on this yet, but I’m glad for the incentive to ponder this.

I also appreciated the viewpoint brought by those who noted the paradox between all the anti-bullying talk we’ve had in the media lately and the bullying tone and comments made by those same personalities regarding this boy and his mother now. How quickly we seem to forget that just a few months ago, everyone was talking about the need to educate our youths and to ensure bully-free zones in our schools and communities. Dan Savage, one of my favorite writers and podcast personalities, started the It Gets Better Project with his husband Terry. President Obama contributed a video along with many straight allies and well known public figures. Yet here we are, still listening to certain members of the media openly and unabashedly engaging in the kind of bullying that we were trying to eradicate.

I don’t really have an answer or a message for all of this, I just wanted to highlight the great point raised by so many about the role of bullying in this discussion. I’m hopeful though, that despite the inevitable setbacks, our society can keep moving forward towards acceptance and respect for all its members. I have to be hopeful. I’m bringing a new little member into this world and I have to believe that we’re progressing and not regressing in our worldviews and ways of interracting with each other.

Baby belly at 25 weeks

Tagged , , , ,

§ 13 Responses to 20 April 2011 – Bullying and Believing"

1. ismay says:

Hear hear! And great happy outfit! Love the last photo, with the great detailing on the dress, and just a cool image, composition-wise!

2. Salazar says:

Second that.

And I love the dress – I didn’t even know it has such cool details until I looked at that last picture!

14 Shades Of Grey

3. Laura says:

Love it!

4. Nadine says:

Girlfriend, that dress is insane! Love it!

5. Allison says:

I just wanted to chime in and say that I love the picture of your belly from your perspective. It’s beautiful, and the dress is fab! And to add that you should enjoy the view of your feet while you can. You’ll probably miss seeing them for the next couple of months. :-D

6. AnnaKatie says:

The word that comes to my mind when I see this dress is vibrant! They always say pregnant women have a “glow” about them and you certainly do in this outfit!
    Thank you for the discussion about the little boy in the ad, it has been very thought provoking for me in the last few days.

7. meg says:

Love the ruching detail on the belly. Thrift/consignment is my new favorite way to shop!
    Please do a guide on a clothing swap. I’m really interested in hosting one, but don’t know where to begin.

8. Ali says:

you are adorable pregnant, such great style.

9. Terri says:

What a wonderful print this dress it and when I saw the pattern in it, I loved it even more. Putting chemicals of any sort on a child seems wrong to me.

10. Aleksandra says:

I love that dress! It suits you perfectly. And thanks for starting an interesting discussion.

11. Amy says:

Love this dress! And I’m in total agreement with your thoughts on the JCrew outcry and the wonderful message of the It Gets Better project. So great of you to highlight them in your posts!

Oh, and I saw these bike pants linked on another blog, thought of you all instantly! Check it:

Being so bike-savvy, you might already know about them, but I figured I’d link ya. Perhaps for post-preggers biking! :)

12. Sara says:

Aww I love that belly perspective shot, but I love the dress even more! I literally said “ooooh” when I saw the picture. Rock it! :D

13. Apple A Day says:

I love, love, love this dress. I really have a thing for vintage looking psychadelic prints. Awesome.

Thanks also for your comments about bullying. The whole story about the boy with the pink nails was such manufactured outrage! I don’t think people’s children should be fair game for the media in the first place and the mean spirited tone of the “backlash” against the painted toenails struck me as particularly low. I wish these people could hear themselves making fun of a four year old!