Weekend Workshop: Remixing…a Patterned Scarf

April 9th, 2011 § 12 comments

Today’s weekend remix is brought to you by E.’s patterned pashmina, a gift from her sister-in-law and purchased in Chinatown in NYC. While it’s too thick to wear in the spring and summer, it’s still a great example of how versatile a good patterned scarf can be.

Golden Girl

My sweet sister-in-law knew what she was doing when she got me this scarf as a Christmas present a few years ago. It’s a very substantial, warm pashmina, with greens, turquoise, and brown woven together into an elaborate but not distracting pattern. I’ve worn it time and time again, but certain rhythms of pairing emerge:

AS THE FOCAL POINT:

When wearing something as minimal as a mod black sweater dress, a patterned scarf takes center stage and adds a dose of interest while still performing other duties, like creating illusory vertical lines. I also love how changing the way in which I tie the scarf allows different aspects of the pattern to shine.

12 February 2010 - Sneaky Knot
12 February 2010 - Scarf Wrapped
AS THE BLUE-GREEN TO MY YELLOW:
Golden Girl

I wear this scarf a lot with yellow and mustard. It’s no secret that I’m a big fan of yellow + blue + green color combinations, so I naturally graviate towards my mustards and sunshine yellows given the peacock and yellow-green hues in the scarf. Together, I think they make for a rich palette that can brighten up even a dreary fall or winter day.

24 January 2009
All the Pretty Little Horses
AS THE BLUE-GREEN TO MY PURPLE:

I’m also a big fan of variations of purple and green (but rarely true purple and true green) as a color combination. With the addition of turquoise in the scarf’s pattern, I can make lovely analogous color combinations using the cool half of the color wheel. There’s something very regal about this color palette. Perhaps because of the patterning of the scarf, such combinations make me think of Byzantine mosaics done in precious, royal hues. Not that there’s anything particularly regal about dark red tights, but you get what I’m saying, right?

7 December 2010
On the Move
AS A STYLISH SNUGGLY THING:

Because of the pattern, this pashmina is also very substantial in thickness. That means that it’s a fantastic snuggly piece that also happens to be fairly attractive. I love wearing a comfortable outfit like jeans and a slouchy dolman cardigan…then throwing on this patterned scarf to make everything seem more purposeful and polished. Sometimes, I don’t even bother to tie it. I just “drape”…and then wrap it around myself like a blanket when the library gets too cold or life gets too demanding.

19 January 2010 - Pick a Scarf
Slouchy Day

Do you have a patterned scarf that you wear the heck out of? What makes it so great? How do you wear it?

Tagged ,

§ 12 Responses to Weekend Workshop: Remixing…a Patterned Scarf"

1. Barbara says:

I love this post! I wish you would make a little video and put it on YouTube which shows all the awesome ways that you tie your scarves!!

2. Lena says:

I love all of these outfits! Putting the scarf with purple is especially pretty. Your style is so pulled together, but also looks very comfortable. Such an inspiration!

3. NodToStyle says:

I love the second look, never thought to wear my scarf like that, can’t wait to try it myself.

4. EJ says:

My pashmina is beautiful… dark red to light pink ombre, also a gift, from a trip my mom took to Italy. However, it does NOT get a lot of play, because I just can’t figure out what to wear it with other than jeans and a white or off-white top or sweater… inspired suggestions welcome! In the meantime, I certainly enjoy these outfits (And I have those wallabies, too!)

5. AW says:

I need to figure out how to use scarves better. I’ve only just started. Next weekend I have several events to attend, and I’m already planning 3 different outfits around one scarf.

6. Silk scarves says:

Good purchase.. Pashmina is soft and easy to wear.

7. Kayla says:

I just pinned like four of these to my “outfit inspiration” board on Pinterest. SO much good stuff.

8. SAA says:

Oh wow! I love all the ways you’ve tied your pashmina! Can you please show us how to do the knots? I would be so so grateful! I have a collection of woollen pashminas and cotton wraps because I hail from S. Asia, where these are made, but I can’t figure out how to keep the poofiness contained and end up folding them so many times over to wear them that all the fun is gone.
    Please help! BTW, am also in academia-dissertating, also a lover of fashion and adore this blog. First time commenting. Love your looks esp, always creative, always polished!

9. Monique says:

I love that mustard skirt!! <3

Monique xx

misszuman.blogspot.com

10. Iris says:

Wow the skirt in the first outfit is just amazing! I love how perfect it is for spring :)

11. Kaylyn says:

I definitely have a patterned scarf that I can’t stop myself from wearing. I wish it was a pashmina like yours, but even though it’s not it’s still huge and warm and snuggly. I bought it 2 years ago on a whim and I am so glad. It makes an awesome blanket when Im cold. Looks great as a wrap. It’s super effective as a neck warmer and the patterns go with everything I own. literally. (it has white leopard spots, brown and black ones too and a strip of black as well as a strip of brown)
    Here’s something new you can try with your scarf: With big scarves like that, they can easily be made into a skirt. You can use a cute brooch to pin it. I usually like the look best when I pin the corners at an angle, creating kind of a tulip-y drape in front.

12. Many thanks for the excellent post, I was looking for information like this, visiting visit the other posts.