7 April 2011 – Coming Up Roses

• Wrap Dress: Banana Republic
  • Tank (under): BR
  • Scarf: Filene’s Basement
  • Shoes: Bandolino via DSW
  • Rose Pin: grandmother’s
  • Necklace: by me

I’ve written before about building an outfit around one element and this is how this look came together as well. It was all based on a pin that was my grandmother’s, which I cherish for its connection to her as well as what it stands for.

Rose Pin and Pearls

Let me explain. This pin, which is made of both yellow and rose gold, was my grandmother’s favorite. I distinctly remember her wearing it on the lapel of her blue suit when we would go out for lunch on Sundays, and it was always the first thing I’d pick out of her jewelry box when I was little and would snuggle up in her bed in the morning and go through her things the way little kids do. The reason I love it even more is because of the story that goes along with it: She was a young woman in her 20s living alone in Toronto when she needed to have her wisdom teeth removed. She decided that to reward herself for going through the ordeal alone she would buy a nice piece of jewelry – and this is what she bought. I think I like this story so much because it reminds me of how strong, independent, and young she was, and also because sometimes we do need to reward ourselves for the things we go through in life. Whether it’s a fancy dinner out with friends, a weekend trip, a piece of jewelry, or a bowl of ice cream and a night on the couch, I think that it’s good to every once in a while say to myself, “Nicely done, L., nicely done.”

Coming Up Roses

In this outfit I’m using this fantastic pin to hold the bottom of my wrap dress together since I wasn’t too keen on flashing my slip around school. I kept up with the rose theme and added in a pink tank and this flowy scarf that is tiny florals on one side and stripes on the other. It’s hard with wrap dresses to wear a belt, but I’ve done this before with a lighter scarf that just goes on top of the built in ties and is loosely knotted.

When’s the last time you did something nice for yourself?

L.

Coming Up Roses swirl

Tagged , , , , , , , ,

§ 10 Responses to 7 April 2011 – Coming Up Roses"

1. What a beautiful thought! I’m a very part-time academic and my contract (with myself) is that a three-hour lecture deserves a nice breakfast in one of the many cafes near the university, and very possibly a coffee and something nice afterwards. And with a day job that involves wearing yoga pants, the chance to dress up (heels! stockings! skirts!) is a reward in itself.

2. ismay says:

Nice way to remix a black dress for spring. I struggle with a black dress a lot, espelially when it is not winter, the black just seems overwhelming and I’m not really a mixed-neutrals girl either.

3. T. says:

What a lovely pin, and I love the story behind it! When I was in college I got a part time job on campus, and with my first paycheck, I bought myself a seed pearl and rose quartz bracelet, just because. I saved all the subsequent paychecks, but that first paycheck I wanted to splurge! That was 20-some years ago, and I still wear that bracelet.

4. Angie says:

Hey there, you look lovely. I love the scarf! I just wanted to point out very politely that I tihnk you might be wearing the wrong foundation colour for your skin. I keep noticing that your face and neck are always a different colour to your chest. You look really pretty…but I have a feeling the tone of your foundation is slightly off. I didn’t mean to offend you or anytihng. Maybe that’s just how it looks like on camera. Hope you aren’t angry or anything that I pointed it out. But your outfit is gorgeous!

• admin says:

Hi Angie,

Thanks for your comment. It’s probably just the bad florescent lighting in my classroom. I don’t wear any make-up at all besides mascara and lip gloss every once in a while!

L.

5. Eleanorjane says:

A beautiful pin and a beautiful memory to go with. I was talking last night with my mother about why she doesn’t have much in the way of inherited stuff. No jewellery etc. She said it was ‘cos her dad was so tight and didn’t buy her mother anything. So sad. And the other side of the family is bust because my dad was adopted out as a young child and his adopted mother died before I was born. I’ve come to miss that family history and connection as I’ve gotten older.

6. Tr says:

Is it just me or does this scarf cut you in a less that flattering way? I believe your waist is not oh so tiny…neither is mine. Perhaps a different type of waist cinch would be more flatting. I do love your ideas but wonder if it is the for your shape….

7. Leah says:

I love the story about your grandmother :-) what a lovely reminder.

I do appreciate the way you use pins/brooches. I have quite a number from when I was little and really into them. But I haven’t worn any of them in ages. Every time I see you with yours, I think that I really should pull mine out.

8. Moni/Mae says:

I just want to say that I read this and just burst into tears. I just finished the final touches on my dissertation today and am totally drained…all of my work is coming down to these last few weeks, and I REALLY want a Nook Color to reward myself for six years of hard work. I’m broke, but I will get it soon…I deserve it!!!

9. [...] just toss on black pants and a top or a simple dress (like my grey cashmere, plaid shirt dress or black wrap dress) – but those days are what happens in real life and sometimes less is more. I’m going [...]