A Taste of Summer

April 4th, 2011 § 62 comments

• Striped Tank – J Crew
  • Blue Skirt – Gap Outlet (chopped from a dress)
  • Belt – Anthropologie
  • Flats – DSW
  • Earrings – F21

So, you may or may not have noticed, but I took a little blogging break for the month of March (other than an exception for L.’s birthday).  It was a busy month!  I turned in a partial chapter draft, applied for two fellowships, tiled my shower, visited Tuscan, bought a bike, tried several new recipes, prepped my vegetable garden, and got a hair cut!

Now, of course, my co-bloggers have managed to do most of this while continuing to blog (and teach full loads, train for races, give conference papers, and/or grow babies), but I needed and benefited greatly from a blog hiatus.   I’m happy to be back to show off my new hair.  I was going for a Carey Mulligan ‘do – some days it looks just like hers, but with out the help of my beloved flat iron, my hair has a mind of it’s own and I’m still  figuring out how to work with that!  It is fun and kind of liberating to embrace my naturally wavy/textured/something hair (not without a blow-dryer and some good product, mind you).

It did feel like the perfect change this weekend, when, here in Academichic Central, temperatures briefly reached the low 80s.   I paired my subtle striped tank with my favorite bold summer skirt, a fun belt, some light flats, and big earnings for a an afternoon enjoying the beautiful weather.  -A.

Tagged , , , ,

§ 62 Responses to A Taste of Summer"

1. April says:

a) You look BEAUTIFUL, and
    b) Snazzy haircut!

2. Kasmira says:

You like like a different person! The hair cut is so so beautiful on you. I think your natural texture really suits you. The waves are so feminine! I hope you stick with this style!

3. NotaBene says:

Glad you are back! The haircut is so perfect.

4. Me! says:

Oh my god. You’re more beautiful as the years go by. And this hair is really great. More posts!

5. ABD says:

De-lurking to say that your hair looks amazing!

6. catherine_sr says:

That haircut really brings out your eyes! You were cute with your previous ‘do (in an All American way), but this one really suits you, works with your hair texture and highlights what makes you unique. Now you look a bit like Frances Gall or another one of the Ye-Ye singers. This is inspiring me to find a new haircut (I’ve had the same one for years).

7. Holy hell, your haircut is AMAZING! Like others said, it really suits you and brings out your eyes. I recently cut off all my hair (for the second time in my life) and I’m all for others doing it. You look wonderful.

8. Helena says:

Great haircut! I wish I had the nerve to cut my hair that short, but for now it’ll be the everlasting in between.

9. Erin says:

I love, love, love your new haircut! I actually just got mine cut in sort of a similar style — just a little bit longer. I don’t straighten my hair like you do but after seeing your pics I just might have to break out the flat iron and give it a whirl.

I love your outfit too! Definitely is going in my inspiration file!

Welcome back!

10. Loren says:

The hair cut REALLY looks great, I also love your skirt. I’ve had a similarly shaggy short ‘do for a while. I’ve been thinking about growing it out but these photos remind me how nice it really is to just get up, run my fingers through it and walk out the door.
    Tip: Large dangly earrings really accentuate short hair. Don’t be afraid to buy some things that will brush your shoulders!

P.S. I love Cary Mulligan ever since I saw her in that Episode of Dr. Who.

11. Jane W. says:

Glad you’re back–I was wondering where you went!

LOVE your hair!!!!!!

12. Jane W. says:

P.S. Spill on the product, please!

• admin says:

Thanks Jane! I am using a combination of Aveda “light elements: soothing fluid” (which I love and used with my longer straightened hair too), Aveda control paste, and Paul Mitchel spray wax. I’m still figuring out what works best, but I swear by the Aveda soothing fluid.

13. Eliane says:

Oh my goodness, you are so incredible beautiful! Love the haircut and the outfit :)

14. Diana says:

I love the new haircut! (Hee, I just typed “haircute”, which is actually quite appropriate!) It really shows off those awesome earrings too.

15. emmy says:

Hot. Damn. That is one hot haircut!

16. That haircut looks fab on you!

17. Johanna says:

love love love the haircut!!

18. Lauren says:

I *love* your haircut! It’s gorgeous and so springy & summery. It looks great with the big earrings too. Welcome back!

19. Megan says:

LOVE the hair. it looks great on you. Now how about a look at the bike? Maybe a special feature on Simply Bike?

• admin says:

Thanks Megan! My bike still needs a few things before I can use it for my commute, but I do plan to include some pictures of it here soon and do a guest post on Simply Bike. A.

20. hd says:

WOW! I’m a regular reader (hi from belgium!) but I never comment.
    Just want to slip one note: that hair is SO great on you. You look like a totally different person. It really brings out you’re facial features…

21. Kathleen says:

First time commenter with an intense urge to tell you how much I LOVE YOUR HAIR. Gorge. :)

22. Nerd Girl says:

Love the new ‘do!

23. Michelle says:

You look so bright & summery. Plus, your haircut is *so* flattering and cute!

24. Kara says:

I could echo every one of the other comments. And also wanted to add that I missed you around here!

25. Suzanne says:

The haircut is fabulous! I have similar, slightly wavy hair (and it’s short), and I’ve found mine actually looks best if I put a hat or scarf on it while it’s still damp. Sometimes a little pomade/wax also helps to shape it. In general, I avoid the blow dryer as it can make it a bit too “puffy.”

26. Jennifer says:

Love your new hairstyle!

27. Wow really love your hair!! Like really. Suits your face shape and style wonderfully.

28. Rachel HB says:

Cute hair! I have unruly, not-wavy-not-straight hair as well, and while it has been every length from buzz cut to waist-length I find I like it best pretty short. Have fun!

29. Jess says:

The haircut is FABulous and suits you so nicely :)

30. admin says:

Thanks for all of your sweat comments everyone! I mostly love me new hair but have had several moments of doubt (even panic) about having gone with such an unpredictable style so it is so nice to get such positive reassurance.

A.

31. Becky says:

I love your haircut! It’s gorgeous, very Audrey Hepburnesque!

32. Stephanie says:

I’d love to see a tutorial on how to make a skirt from a dress–it seems like it would be very useful in getting more life out of certain pieces!

33. Shea says:

I love the new cut!! I love having short hair–it’s such a time saver! Plus, you really get to showcase your earrings :)

34. Kristen says:

Wow A., you look amazing! Love the haircut and so glad you’re back!

35. abd says:

Wow! Amazing haircut. While I adore Carey Mulligan’s cut, yours is beyond adorable. Very chic indeed.

36. Kelly says:

Long-time lurker and very infrequent commenter compelled to break the silence to say how chic your new haircut looks! I have similarly thick/wavy hair and am on the cusp of being ready to cut it all off to a bob sort of length, so it’s nice to have such a fabulous exemplar to show one it can be done :)

37. Josie says:

The new haircut is stunning!

38. Lyssa says:

I rarely comment on blogs, but I have to add my voice to the chorus of admirers. Your haircut looks amazing on you! I wish I could find a cut that suited me so well. Beautiful!

39. Bella says:

I am loving the new hair cut! What a fresh, new look for spring!

40. Angeline says:

Loving the hair-do! If I had natural waves like yours I’d go short, too…the curls are just beautiful.

41. Andrea says:

Oh I just adore the hair on you and I think it looks even better than your inspiration! Oh and major jealousy over the tank top weather…. I’ve got months before I’ll be headed outside with bare shoulders!

42. Terri says:

The new haircut is very flattering…and gives me an entirely different sense of you.

43. Penny says:

welcome back!love your new haircut!

44. Kayla says:

Your haircut looks fantastic! So perfect for the summer! It looks absolutely flattering on you! I am excited to hear how your garden grows this summer! Welcome back!

45. Belinda says:

Your hair looks gorgeous! I agree with Chalkdust – it really accentuates your eyes, stunning.
    You are such a stylish one :)

46. Jessica says:

I love your hair!! I have been wanting to cut mine short again for a while. Perhaps I will take the plunge soon!

47. MEJ says:

One more to say: love the haircut!!!! but really, you look great!!!

48. Ruth says:

I love the new hair!!!

49. Gillian says:

First time commenter here to say that you look gorgeous with your new haircut! I loved your hair before as well, but this look is bolder and really suits you!

50. Welcome back! Sounds like you had a very productive break. Love your new ‘do!

51. soopa dupa cute haircut!

52. Sara says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE the haircut on you!! :D

53. Trish says:

Loving it! Great haircut! And outfit too…:-D

54. Karen says:

Aaaah, posting photos of such awesomely cute hair is dangerous! You’re making me want to cut most of mine off and feel wonderful and summery. You remind me of Amy Adams with short hair and it’s lovely.

55. Jen says:

Hellooooo gorgeous! Snaps on the new haircut. It’s extremely flattering and just adorable. Yay you :)

56. [...] Endnotes: Really? Tights in spring? Tights in the middle of May?! Yes folks, sad but true. The daffodils are blooming, fruit trees have burst into fluffy balls of white flowers, and my allergies are going haywire (pun intended), but the chill is not out of the air some days where I am. I had sworn off wearing tights after spring break, mostly because my waist and stomach were tired of being constricted like that, but I had to give in and break them out on Friday last week. To really feel sorry for myself I started to look back at when other bloggers around the country had packed up their winter tights for the year. The ever hip and stylish Clare of Between Laundry Days was still wearing tights (or at least posting tight-ed outfits) in April, but has recently been enjoying sunshine and nylon-free gams. The oft-skirted and always adorably dressed Tanya of What Would a Nerd Wear decided to freeze her kneecaps one particularly cold spring day, but she hasn’t donned tights in weeks (just look back at her recent posts!). Even my lovely co-bloggers out in academichic central were ditching their tights back in early April! [...]

57. [...] I have chopped into skirts had proportions that just didn’t work right for me. In the case of my full blue skirt and my white and black floral skirt, as dresses they had empire waists and were a little too short [...]

58. [...] this year, I took a month off from blogging and returned with a new haircut.  It was so wonderful to reveal this physical change to all of you – your compliments and [...]