31 March 2011 – Black and White and Striped All Over?

March 31st, 2011 § 15 comments

Black and White and Striped All Over

• Shirt: Banana Republic
  • Blazer: BR
  • Scarf: secondhand from mom
  • Belt: Anthropologie
  • Trousers: BR
  • Shoes: Cole Haan via Filene’s Basement

I can’t stop pattern mixing! I’m totally addicted. I’m a little disappointed with myself for not wearing this adorable knit herringbone blazer more often this winter, but I’ve been given another chance since it’s in the 40s and going to snow tomorrow. Like my outfit on Monday, today I mixed patterns but stayed in the same color family – granted this one is not the most daring being a completely black, white, and grey palette, but stripes, herringbone and polka-dots are a big move for me.

Stripes, Dots, Herringbone

Maybe I like this because they are all regular and geometric? But I loved the abstract floral and simple striped skirt on Monday. Hmmmm…

What’s been your most daring pattern mixing to date? What do you think is the most successful pairing?

L.

Black and White and Striped All Over (Apparently for some reason today I was only able to look to my right while I was taking pictures. Weird.)

Tagged , , , , ,

§ 15 Responses to 31 March 2011 – Black and White and Striped All Over?"

1. Helena says:

That blazer is seriously cute, it was my first thought as I scrolled down the post.

2. You look so chic and professional! I love that blazer too!

3. Amy B says:

Adorable! I’ve loved your last few outfits! I love all the gray and white and black. Color’s not always necessary for visual interest.

4. Cynthia says:

This is great. I love knit blazers and that one is enviable!

5. WHEN did you purchase that blazer from BR? And, if I may ask, are you wearing a petite size or a regular one. I’m determined to track one down because it’d be perfect for everything.

• admin says:

I got this last summer (the Fall 2010 collection I’d guess) and unfortunately it is totally sold out on the BR site. This one is a regular size 0, but I remember that the sizing runs differently between the black version of this and the tweed one that I have. The black one is less stretchy and I think I was trying it on in a 2 or 4. I hope you can track one down – I love mine!

L.

6. Kelly says:

I could absolutely imagine myself wearing something like this outfit in the fall as a 1L. I never really considered pattern mixing but I like how subtle you did it today and I think it is something I could emulate. Thank you!!

7. LatteLove says:

I’m a big fan of this layering/pattern mixing. One of my favorite outfits!

8. Lisa says:

That looks really good on you! The proportions are just right for you :) I keep thinking that I need to get myself a good blazer.

9. Elizabeth says:

Cute! I really like the patterns using just black and white. Very nicely done!

10. Karla says:

That blazer is super cute! The black and white pattern mixing is fab.

11. Lucy says:

Looking good, woman! Pattern mixing is all inspiring.

12. Amber says:

Great pattern mixing. You are giving me such inspiration for pattern mixing attempts to try!

13. Penny says:

great post!however i m still unable to mix patterns successfully…the only thing i do and i m not sure if it counts as pattern mixing is mixing t-shirts with scetches on it with animal print skirts!
    keep going!

14. [...] staples though, especially fitted items – pencil skirts, sheath dresses, a cropped blazer, black dress slacks – I bought new. Many of you are bloggers yourselves or have asked us questions about [...]