29 March 2011 – Then I Realized

March 29th, 2011 § 14 comments

29 March 2011 – Then I Realized, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Coat: Banana Republic Factory
  • Dress: Baja, via Beacon’s Closet
  • Tights: Target
  • Flats: Banana Republic

I actually wore this exact outfit, plus my new big green bag, when I was in New York a couple of weeks ago. To be precise, I wore this on March 17. While in midtown. Apparently, my head was so engaged in archival research that I neglected to realize that March 17 was St. Patrick’s Day and, well, let’s just say I was far from the only person wearing green and orange when I emerged from the subway on 5th Ave and 53rd. I received a lot of compliments on my outfit while wending my way towards the Museum of Modern Art, though, along with quite a few high fives from undergrads.

Angie, from You Look Fab, once posted about occasionally “surrendering the waistline”, that is, eschewing a nipped midsection in favor of purposefully drapey, flowy, or boxy silhouettes. One of my personal style goals for this pregnancy is to not become overly dependent on belting (at least until the end :), but to continue experimenting with silhouettes, even ones that are outside of my usual repertoire. I was tempted to belt this dress over the bump, but in the end I decided to be okay with letting the coat provide a hint of structure while I went waistless underneath. (I think this will be such a fun, mod dress post-preggers, though. Don’t you?)

Finally, my shoes. I love these embellished ballet flats, and every time I where them, I tell my husband that I feel like I have stars on my toes. I used to be so afraid of stud embellishments — probably because of bad seventh grade memories that involved a Bedazzler — but here I love them and they’re proving to be a great everyday flat.

So…happy belated St. Patrick’s Day, all. And here’s to you, New York, for letting me and my color seem at home for one day.

Tagged , , , ,

§ 14 Responses to 29 March 2011 – Then I Realized"

1. Loren says:

Very cute. I like paring a floaty boxy top with some leggings or tights too. Also mixing the more ‘masculine’ silhouette with bold fun colors like this really looks good on you.

2. Sally says:

Those flats are darling! And pretty tame as studs go. ;)

3. Elena says:

This dress is fantastic on you! I love the colors together and the flats pair perfectly.

4. Angela says:

Stars on your toes – what a romantic description! I love it.

5. Mary says:

As a non-belter I like this outfit because it is much closer to my comfort zone, but you all look so fabulous in belts that I’ve been thinking of giving it a whirl! I have two questions (well, groups of questions) about belting:

1. What if you need a belt to hold your pants up? Do you wear 2 belts? Any suggestions for low-profile actually-going-in-the-belt-loops belts that won’t create bulk under a longer top?

2. What is the most versatile kind of belt? (color, width, length, material?) Is it possible to have one belt that will hold up jeans AND work as a cincher, or are these necessarily 2 different animals?

Thanks!!

• admin says:

Great questions!

My answer to #1 would be look for a belt that has a relatively small buckle and is not thick or braided leather as those all contribute to lumps and bumps under longer shirts. I also have found that another layer will help smooth things out a little so I’ll often wear a longer tank under a tunic if I need to wear a belt, or even if I just need to flatten out the waistline. I’d love to hear what others have to say about this, as I’ve had this problem as well!

As for #2, personally I think my most versatile belts are those that are mostly (or all) elastic, wide (about 3 inches) and pretty neutral colors (blue, dark purple or grey are my go-tos, E. uses her brown one often, andA. frequently rocks her maroon belt and turquoise belt). I usually don’t use belts that are good for holding up jeans in the same way that I use my “cincher” collection. S. did a post on this recently and her most versatile belt was a smaller (1.5 inches or so) red leather belt, so it’s different for everyone.

Hope that somewhat answers your questions!

L.

6. Bettina says:

I love this outfit. It’s awesome. And that’s all I have to say about that :)

7. Lucy says:

Interesting questions above about “belting”. Very analytical ; ) I’d be curious to read the answers too. It’s nice to see you without a belt on – and, yes, beautiful color blocking!

8. Stephanie says:

I live in NY and I too forgot about St. Patty’s Day when I headed into the New York Public Library to do dissertation research that day. The only plus to wading through the inebriated crowds on 42nd St, as I imagine might have been the case for you as well, was that the library was empty and tourist-free for a change!

9. Tamara Sewell says:

I love Beacon’s Closet and I love that dress! Some of my favorite items were found there. As for St. Patrick’s day, NYC started celebrating the Saturday before. I was out of NYC for the actual holiday, interviewing at another campus. I had packed green, but at the last minute recalculated (momentarily forgetting the holiday) to make room in my suitcase and was sans green for the day, which worked in my favor as the committee eschewed the idea of following the crowd – yay for making that ‘mistake’! Besides, I ended up needing the room in my suitcase to pack my consignment shop finds!

10. Melanie says:

Great outfit! This is the first time (I think) that I’ve seen any of you ladies post an outfit with leggings. I’d love to see you do a series on leggings like you’ve done for cardigans, belts, tights etc.

11. kathy says:

I LOVE this outfit. I’ve only recently embraced belting, but I love that you’ve gone without here. The green makes enough of a distraction on the dress so that I think adding a belt would have been too much.

12. Fantastic! What lovely blocks of color, and excellent shaping as well.

13. Kathy says:

I love that this dress seems like it’ll be nursing friendly! I’m getting out my spring clothes, but sad that so many of my dresses are in the no-nursing-access pile….