24 March 2011 – Flowers

24 March 2011 - Flowers

• Sweater: Banana Republic
  • Tunic: French Connection
  • Belt: BR
  • Skinnies: BR
  • Shoes: Frye

Can you tell how pleased I am with this outfit? For our first day back in classes I decided that despite the dusting of snow we got last night it is most definitely spring and therefore I will break out the florals! Of course, while this shirt has a pretty tropical motif, in reality it is still in the 30s and the sweater was a necessity rather than a choice.

{Utagawa Kuniyoshi, Hitentaisei Rikon (Li Gun: Chinese name) from the Shuihu zhuan, 1827-30}

This tunic is another birthday purchase from my sister (thank you C.!) and I fell in love with the bright florals, which seemed vaguely reminiscent of Japanese prints. (Thanks to reader Alison for the correction! This is a Japanese print of a Chinese story, not a Chinese print as I had earlier written. Alison says that “this is a classic example of the Japanese ukiyo-e style.”)

I didn’t even realize it at the time, but my new flower belt from BR is a perfect match! I really wanted more of this shirt to show, so I pulled my sweater to the sides. This also created a more pronounced hourglass shape with the belt pulling it all in at the waist. How do you fool the eye to accentuate different body parts?

24 March 2011 - Flowers

L.

Tagged , , , , , ,

§ 10 Responses to 24 March 2011 – Flowers"

1. Alison says:

Love that shirt! Just wanted to say, though, that it is a Japanese print that you have posted of a Chinese story, not a Chinese print. This is a classic example of the Japanese ukiyo-e style. Thanks!

• admin says:

Thanks for the comment and correction Alison! I’ve changed the post to reflect this information. One thing I love about our readers is how smart you all are, and you contribute great discussions and information to the blog!

L.

2. LatteLove says:

I really like this outfit–esp th shirt and belt!
    one of my favs of yours, L!

3. I think I like this outfit as much as you do because I imagine that when it hit after-lunchtime and you started thinking “Oh, last week ON SPRING BREAK WHEN I WAS IN LONDON….” you still had your awesome outfit to propel you through the rest of the day.

4. Victoria Wheeler says:

This is definitely one of my favorite outfits on this site, and I like many. You look great!

5. kasmira says:

That tunic is beautiful! You look like a tattooed lady.

6. Courtney says:

This may be my favorite outfit of yours! The sweater works almost as a neutral with the beautiful tunic, but doesn’t completely fade into the background because of its navy coloring. I love it!

7. [...] my original floral print-based outfit in favor of some warmer elements. (In this, I must salute L., who’s proudly wearing flowers despite the dusting of snow in her part of the [...]

8. The shirt with the belt is really what makes the whole look — and when spring seems very far off (as it does here), it really helps to have a cheerful, floral ensemble.

9. Jessica says:

I’m a day late, but I love this outfit! I’ve been in the winter doldrums this week but maybe some florals will perk me up tomorrow–great idea!