7 March 2011 – Double Belting

• Dress: Neiman Marcus outlet
  • Buttondown Shirt: Banana Republic Factory
  • Belts: J. Crew
  • Tights: Target
  • Shoes: Corso Como via Shopstyle.com
  • Necklace: Mass MoCA store

This is a belated “Belt Week” outfit that I had been meaning to wear, but didn’t get around to until today. Despite the fact that it is a full week into March, it still feels like we are firmly in winter at the moment, and so this cashmere dress is getting another outing before spring really comes to New England. I found this dress on super sale at an outlet and it is by far my favorite fall/winter dress because it is so cozy and warm. After a week of aggressive belting my waist was pretty tired, and I wanted to try what E. called “surrendering the waist”… but I didn’t quite get there. I did, however, surrender the tights after I had gotten into my classroom and realized that I was experiencing what Sal of Already Pretty calls “Segmented Worm Syndrome” with my present outfit and needed to let something go.

width="420"

My full slip, which I wore over my shirt, managed to hold down the tails of the shirt and also give me some more piece of mind about going bare legged when I really hadn’t planned on it. I know if I had stepped outside I would have frozen from the waist down, but I just couldn’t wait until spring break! Anyway, the belting for this is something I’ve wanted to try since I went nuts at J. Crew this fall and bought several of their skinny belts on sale that I had been holding out for. I connected my silver and gold ones for this and let them naturally cross in the front and hang lower on my hips than I usually do.

width="300"/

I wore both gold and silver jewelry as well as silver shoes to complete this very simple outfit. I really like how the double belting worked out and I’d love to know how others have incorporated multiple belts into one outfit?

~L.

width="420"

Tagged , , , ,

§ 30 Responses to 7 March 2011 – Double Belting"

1. Erin says:

Really simple–I love it! My fav outfit of yours so far!

2. Jackie says:

I like how you connected them, it makes the eye travel more. Also, I like the bare legs! Gives it a much softer/almost spring look.

• Patrik says:

Wonderful goods from you, man. Grosgrain Flip Flops | Flip Flops Shoe I have understand your stuff pruveois to and you are just too magnificent. I really like what you have acquired here, certainly like what you’re saying and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it wise. I cant wait to read much more from you. This is really a terrific Grosgrain Flip Flops | Flip Flops Shoe informations.

3. Sally says:

Thanks for the shout-out, beautiful! Glad you found a work-around. ;)

4. INGENIOUS! Crossing the buckles is so sophisticated, and it looks absolutely gorgeous. Makes a simple outfit stunning.

5. SE says:

So pretty! Love that cashmere dress and how you’ve styled it with the shirt under plus belts. Maybe you wouldn’t get the “segmented worm” look if tights were a soft gray? I think that would be a lovely monochrome outfit. But anyway, you looked fab w/o any tights at all!

6. c says:

This looks amazing on you! I think the belts hit at just the right point.

7. I love love love this look. THe whole darn thing.

8. Kara says:

This is my favorite look of yours too! It’s great! Simple and yet very creative at the same time!

9. gina says:

Love the multiple skinny belts! What a cute look.

10. Sarah says:

This is great!

11. Adrien says:

i love what you did with the two belts – very cool idea. probably one of my favorite outfits of yours!

12. sundaze says:

Love the double belts!!

13. LOVE this look! i have one prized belt, which was sold at express, but i found at a thrift store- that is extra long and made to wrap around the waist twice. however, i never thought to just take 2 belts and wear them together. i think this might inspire a little etsy belt-shopping spree :)

14. Ariel says:

This is great! I love how you connected the two belts together. Very well put together look!

15. Erika says:

This is so classy! It’s by far my favorite of all your blog-posted outfits. And I too think it works better without the sharp contrast between light gray dress and black tights. Thanks for sharing this!

16. S.E.Minegar says:

I really love this look! You look both cozy and sophisticated. I can’t wait to find twin belts and try your double belt trick! Brilliant!

17. Tracy Battles says:

I do find the second series of shots to much more pleasing to the eye. I believe that was your point, if so.. I agree. Any thoughts? I am just saying.

18. jen. says:

This is definitely my favorite outfit of yours that I’ve seen so far. It looks so perfectly simple, with classic accessories. This is a great look!

19. Anonymous says:

And I meant to say: narrow belts really suit you!

20. Mel says:

This reminds me of being a teenager in the 80s, I used to wear three skinny flourescent belts in different colours with big shirts over leggings. Each belt sat at the same point on one side but hung progressively lower on the other hip. (You don’t look like you’re from the 80s, it just sent me down memory lane.) I like your more modern take on this idea. And the gold and silver are elegant with the neutral dress & white shirt.

21. Kara says:

Great look! I love that the gold and silver accessories don’t look flashy but add the perfect amount of interest. Easily my favorite outfit of yours.

I love the double-belt! I just got a super long belt and I can’t wait to wrap it around my waist a few times. :)

23. Jess says:

omg L I’m planning on doing this tomorrow! I love the colours you used and the hint of metallic!

24. Aimee says:

Glad you lost the tights. The outfit looked very jarring with them, but flowed nicely without.

25. Tanya says:

Lovely. Good call, too, nixing the black tights.

26. Sara says:

Your looks are usually not my style but this outfit is simply FABULOUS! I love the chic simplicity of it with the extra interest of the eye catching metallic double belts. Genius!

27. Heather says:

This is fantastic! I think this might be one of my favorites, and the double belting just works so well here. I’ll definitely have to try this out sometime!

28. Kathleen says:

Great outfit and nice combination of neutrals! I have yet to try double belting but find your post inspiring.

29. [...] cheating, on the days when I’d just toss on black pants and a top or a simple dress (like my grey cashmere, plaid shirt dress or black wrap dress) – but those days are what happens in real life and [...]