28 February 2011 – Work With What You’ve Got, Take II

Button down – ON, thrifted
Cardigan – thrifted
Belt – thrifted
Tank top – BE Maternity, via Target
Skinnies – ON Maternity
Boots – Banana Republic
Elephant pendant – had since childhood
Bag – Vintage Sears bag, $1 garage sale find

Does this outfit look familiar? Well, if it doesn’t, let me just remind you of where you might have seen it last. I loved how E. took one of the looks she created with the items from Banana Republic’s Spring line and recreated it with garments from her own wardrobe. It got me wondering whether I could do the same. I figured that this look should be pretty easy to recreate seeing as how it’s composed of mostly pretty basic wardrobe pieces. So my plan was to go in my closet and look for…

A dark button down or tunic, dark skinny jeans, a brown leather belt, dark flats or dark boots, and a bright yellow bag. This last item wasn’t going to be a challenge for me since I already own the perfect bright yellow vintage bag, but if you were looking to recreate this look, I’d say that any bright color bag should do. The idea is to bring in that pop of color with an unexpected tote or purse.

As you can tell from the snow on the ground and from the fact that it’s snowing in these pictures, it’s nowhere near Spring where I live, so I opted for black boots over the dark flats and I also picked up a black cardigan for that extra warmth. And here is my version with items from my closet and slightly more winterized than the BR Spring line iteration…

28 February 2011

What do you think? I think it worked out perfectly for a casual Saturday outfit and I’m excited to retry this look come Spring without the cardigan, the sleeves rolled up, and a lightweight pair of flats.

On a related note – I’m wearing my newly thrifted belt, which I am just loving, and am offering you this item as a clue to what this week’s theme is going to be… Yup, you guessed it! It was only a matter of time before we did a Belts Week here at academichic, right? Hope you enjoy the rest of the posts to come on this topic! S.

28 February 2011

Tagged , , , , , ,

§ 11 Responses to 28 February 2011 – Work With What You’ve Got, Take II"

1. Sally says:

You’re just too adorable. And I envy that fabulous yellow bag!

2. Grace says:

Once again, I think I actually prefer the version from your closet to the BR version! Your yellow bag is AMAZING.

Perfect for a winter weekend! I LOVE the cognac belt!

4. Eleanorjane says:

Ooh, love the lemon yellow bag! Just the thing for a dreary winter’s day. :)

5. Nadine says:

Your second version is so much nicer!

6. Allison says:

You look gorgeous and your outfit is way cute! I agree with other commenters that I like your version better!

7. jentine says:

I feel like you just bought this bag when I first discovered you… awww, memories.
    Also, I like your version better then the BR version. it’s perfect.

8. dotty says:

i remember when you cleaned up that bag! i hadn’t started thrifting very seriously yet, and it definitely inspired me!

and your belted outfit is saturday perfection!

9. Bella says:

Hey S, I am wondering if you are planning to cut hair before the baby comes? I guess it would be more practical but on a more selfish level, I kind of miss seeing your gorgeous curly mane, which you seem to keep under wraps with ponytails nowadays. What do you think?

• admin says:

Hi Bella, I have no plans to chop my locks pre-baby! :) I actually find it easier to manage my hair when it’s long by having the option of putting it in a ponytail, bun, or braid. I haven’t worn it curly lately because I was a bit bored with the same look all the time and straightening it gave me the appearance of a new ‘do without actually having to do much altering to it. I will likely go back to curly come summer when I can’t stand the heat of the blow dryer to straighten it.

It is funny that you should ask that because I’ve noticed a trend in haircutting with my friends and aquaintaces at least: it seems like many women grow out their hair for weddings, then get shorter cuts right after a wedding or after the arrival of a baby. Hm… interesting phenomenon worth exploring…

What I do look forward to post-baby is being able to dye my gray hair around my temples once again! I have been staying away from dye since we started trying for a baby not being sure how safe/unsafe those chemicals would be, and I really look forward to being able to pull my hair up without a streak of gray on the sides. I know that’s opening up a can of worms on the discussion of gray hair and its gendered connotations but I’m claiming this as personal preference: I like my hair dark without gray in it.

- S.

10. Anitra says:

This piece was cogent, wentw-riltel, and pithy.