25 February 2011 – Work With What You’ve Got

Work With What You've Got

• Cardigan: H&M, thrifted
  • Tunic: Tucker for Target
  • Belt: thrifted
  • Jeans: Old Navy
  • Wedges: Lauren by Ralph Lauren

I didn’t come up with this outfit on my own. I really should have. After all, both this tunic and cardigan were in my 30 for 30 capsule wardrobe. Thankfully, the one-that-got-away was reeled back in once I looked at my wardrobe with fresh eyes, having “shopped” for ideas elsewhere. (And yes, I just used a fishing metaphor. I’m not sure why since I have no real point of reference for that.)

For me, playing with Banana Republic’s spring line was like getting to play in someone else’s closet. Someone who gets to wear a lot of silk. In that closet, it was a no-brainer to top off this ruffled, red-orange print top with a structured military jacket while keeping things sleek and simple on the bottom with jeans and statement heels.

Ruffles In Command

DSC_9856

What made the outfit for me was the combination of voluminous ruffles under military structure, and I immediately started thinking about how I could translate to the clothes already in my closet.

Now, let’s be honest. My own jeans, though cheaper, are doing my legs lots of favors. That’s why I own them. As for the top, I knew I didn’t own something with such¬†peplum-like ruffles at the bottom. But, I wondered if I could tweak this Tucker for Target tunic to mimic the effect. A hidden belt and some strategic blousing let me adjust the length of the tunic to the optimal hip-mitigating length. I think the trick here was making sure that the “blousing line” of the tunic was noticeably higher than the bottom edge of the cardigan, creating a play with proportions rather than a heavy horizontal line.¬†And that’s the best thing about re-interpreting outside inspiration for the garments you already own! You already know that your pieces fit and flatter you or you know how to use them to their best advantage. I love it when an outfit comes together as a mix of new inspiration and old favorites.

Work With What You've Got DSC_9848

Thanks for indulging our dress-up this week. It was a treat to take a little bit of a week off from daily photos and to show you some of our inspiration for the coming season.

Tagged , , ,

§ 17 Responses to 25 February 2011 – Work With What You’ve Got"

1. Great re-interpretation! I love your Tucker tunic, and the way you belted it really gives it a great shape. Nicely done!

2. Stacey says:

I am so drawn to gray and red together. These looks are soo great today

3. Oh I LOVE this. Especially appreciate both pics, so we can see how the idea started.

4. Mrs.M in MI says:

Do you mind telling me the cut/style of your jeans, if they might still be available? I am trying to replace a beloved pair of Gap jeans that don’t exist anymore, and these might be a candidate. Thanks very much!

5. Wendy says:

I love it when you do stuff like this. One of the greatest pleasures in life is seeing an amazing outfit in a magazine, catalogue, online or wherever and going into your own closet and realizing you already have everything you need to capture a similar look.
    Always love what you put together!

6. Evie says:

What a great post. I like the explanation of your thought process and how you styled your blouse to match the one at the store. Genius (as usual)!

7. Jackie says:

I really like that ruffled orange top. Cute outfit!

8. Grace says:

I honestly love your version more than the BR version. You look fantastic!

9. Laura says:

This looks great! I like your version a lot better than BRs. :)

10. Rebecca says:

That is a great take on the BR outfit. It is perfect for a Friday.

11. Those old navy jeans look awesome! I always have a hard time with their denim, but they look so cute and comfy on you. Happy Fridaaaay!

12. Carey says:

Cute! I think I like your closet’s version better even! Really like the Old Navy jeans too – do you know which style they are?

13. Nadine says:

Your at-home version is way better – I love the stronger, bolder colours. Goodness me, you are one stylish woman.

14. Helena says:

This is a great side-by-side to show off the inspiration and outcome. This is how one should think when interpeting magazines to your own wardrobe.

15. Terri says:

I like the version you came up with at home better!

16. Marina says:

One more person who needs to know the style of your ON jeans!

17. [...] Dear wondering readers, those jeans I wore at the end of last week are my Old Navy maternity jeans (demi band, straight cut — not currently available). [...]