11 February 2011 – Making a Statement

February 11th, 2011 § 12 comments

• Blazer: Anne Taylor Loft
  • Shirt: Sandra Ingrish via Filene’s Basement
  • Belt: Banana Republic Outlet
  • Pants: J. Crew (thrifted)
  • Shoes: Sam Edelman via Off 5th
  • Cosmetic Bag (below): Buy Her Bag, Not Her Body c/o Nomi Network
  • Necklace and Bracelet: gifts
  • Watch: Tissot
  • Ring: Far Fetched (gift) but Jeanine Payer also makes gorgeous jewelry etched with poetry and sayings

I think it might be a bit of a misnomer to call big, bold pieces “statement” jewelry since there is a whole genre of jewelry (and clothing)* out there that literally makes a statement. E. spotted this witty necklace by Tickette on Etsy, and my favorite “statement” piece of jewelry is this ring that my Uncle gave me (sorry for the poor picture quality).

On the outside it says “well behaved women” and on the inside “rarely make history” which is a slightly altered version of the phrase coined in the 1970s by the writer/professor/feminist, Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, who said that “well behaved women seldom make history.” Even though the writing is small and only I know what’s on the inside of the ring, it is still special to me and makes me feel powerful for some reason. Do you have any jewelry that has text on it? What kinds of explicit “statements” does your jewelry make? Do you feel different when you’re wearing it?

On another note, like S. I’ve been getting some good use out of my little cosmetic bag from the “Buy Her Bag, Not Her Body” line that was donated to us for review by the Nomi Network, a “non-profit organization working to eradicate sexual slavery and the trafficking of women.” I decided to use mine to collect all those little odds and ends that seem to float around in the bottom of my purse or school bag.

This bag is definitely generous and can carry a lot. It’s good for my purse or the inside of my laptop bag, but it doesn’t fit as nicely in the front pocket as say one of their wristlets might. However, the durable fabric, made of recycled rice bag material, and bright colors mean that it hasn’t been scuffed up or been lost in the bottom of my bag yet! If you’re looking for a socially conscious gift in the near future, please check out Nomi Network’s full array of accessories and help support their very worthy cause.

Thanks to you all for the great discussions during Jewelry Week! There are still so many topics we could get into both stylistically and aesthetically as well as the political, gender, social, cultural, and symbolic power of jewelry. I know I’ll be thinking more about what I put on as well as how I perceive the accessories of those around me. Being single and in my late 20s I often joke that I have “ring-dar” as the left ring finger of everyone is the first place that my eyes go, but now hearing about how many other cultures do things and how people are choosing to change things up I am reminded that I should be careful about drawing conclusions about anyone based on accessories or appearance, period. A good thing to remember!

Please don’t forget to register to win a Mirari Necklace by Orno Jewelry and stop back this weekend for two great Weekend Workshops!

~L.

*If you’d like to read more opinions from the chics about clothing with text please see S.’s post which started a productive debate last summer about “slogan T’s”. A.’s post also about her stance in favor of T-shirts that state things clearly. And E.’s post about her reservations surrounding wearing any clothing that states opinion or takes a side.

Tagged , , , , , ,

§ 12 Responses to 11 February 2011 – Making a Statement"

1. Kat says:

I have a pair of earrings with that quote on them! They’re a pair of silver strips about two inches long — one says “well-behaved women” and the other says “rarely make history,” both in cursive script. I don’t wear earrings often; I tend to wear that pair when I’m feeling down or when I need something to boost me up. I called them my “power earrings” to a friend the other day.

2. Sarah says:

I have two silver bracelets I wear with writing on them. One says “strength” in block-stamp-type letters–my college roommate had osteosarcoma, and the bracelets were from the charity she started for osteosarcoma research. She gave each of the roommates a bracelet when she relapsed sophomore year so we could wear them around campus and raise awareness. I wear it every day (and have no plans to take it off now that’s she’s passed away) and people often ask me what it says. I get to tell them about her and about her charity, which is the best part. (I feel so guilty when I take it off–usually in the dead of summer when it’s so hot I can barely breathe–that I’m considering getting it tattooed. But that’s another issue.)

My other silver bracelet was a first-anniversary present from my boyfriend, who gave it to me a few months after I started wearing Stacey’s bracelet (after checking to make sure I was interested in another bracelet). It’s the first line from the Robert Frost poem, “Revelation”: “we make ourselves a place apart.” The rest of the poem is about not hiding yourself away from other people and being forthright about your emotions and what you need from other people (a sentiment that rang very true for me, especially at the time), and then there’s the nice double-meaning of the two of us making a place apart for ourselves-together, away from the rest of the world.

I really wear them all the time. I don’t even take them off to sleep, or in the shower. Whatever else I’m wearing had better work with them, etc.

3. The Covetour says:

Luv tha turkoise flats – they add a gr8 pop of color!

4. spacegeek says:

I adore that quote. I used to have a bumper sticker with it. I think I’ve incorporated it into my life in so many ways so I don’t need it external anymore. LOL

5. Iris says:

I have a mini bag in my bag that I carry all my essentials in, your’s look super sturdy!

6. I have lots of jewelry with phrases or words, but the most important (to me) are a couple of sentimental pieces: my watch, which my husband gave me after the birth of our son, has the time and date of his birth and his initials engraved on the outer rim, symbolizing the time our lives changed forever. A bracelet from my grandmother, which my grandfather gave her for her 16th birthday, which has a tiny heart and an “E” for his name engraved on the outside.

I love message jewelry. Love it.

7. A-C says:

Sometimes I think even the items that are not obviously statement pieces are the ones that are the most meaningful. Something small that reminds you of being strong and daring is all it takes for it to make a statement, and I’m pretty sure you’ve got that already.

8. Amanda says:

I have an idea for an upcoming post from you all…what do you keep in your purse and how you keep it organized? Seeing your make-up bag and its contents made me want to include some of the things you included. Just a thought!

• admin says:

Thanks for the idea Amanda! S. and A. have both done previous posts about this, but we can definitely put this on our schedule again since it’s been a while.

~L.

9. [...] was buttery soft and definitely could hold a day’s worth of books. I had first tried out the belting over a jacket look last week with a wide woven belt and blue blazer and I’m definitely a convert. I’d seen [...]

10. [...] grey dress). For the staples though, especially fitted items – pencil skirts, sheath dresses, a cropped blazer, black dress slacks – I bought new. Many of you are bloggers yourselves or have asked us [...]

11. Hell, there isn’t any rules here – we’re looking to accomplish something.
    Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.