Reader to Reader: Thrift Stores in Pittsburgh?

February 1st, 2011 § 24 comments

We recently received a reader comment asking for recommendations on great thrift stores in Pittsburgh. We all love a good thrift store but none of us is familiar with the Pittsburgh shopping scene. So we’re asking you, dear readers, if you have any recommendations? Thank you! ~ Chics

Tagged

§ 24 Responses to Reader to Reader: Thrift Stores in Pittsburgh?"

1. Dawn says:

Avalon, Ambiance, and Thriftique. The NCJW owns Thriftique, and the organization’s annual Designer Dress Days cannot be missed.

2. Kim says:

Here are my two favorites:
    G’s Consign & Redesign in Canonsburg (close to where you get on 79)
    Red, White & Blue Thrift on 51 just before the Liberty Tubes

Both have crazy deals. New stuff with tags still on and from high end stores. And big, big sales.

3. Jennifer M. says:

Thanks, Chics! I can’t wait to start thrifting!

4. Sarah says:

I second the suggestion for Avalon. I’ve heard good things about Plato’s Closet (there are several around Pittsburgh, including one on McKnight Road, but I’ve never been). There’s Yesterday’s News and several other fun stores on E. Carson Street (South Side). Also Hey Betty and Eons are slightly more “upscale vintage” on Ellsworth Ave in Shadyside.

5. Jen says:

Avalon is awesome! High end brands at ok prices. It is a little pricey as it gets all the hipster college students though. I really enjoy the Salvation Army across the street from the South Side Works. In fact, I’ve found more at that Salvation Army than at Avalon. Hope that helps!

6. Hilary says:

Avalon is great – their prices are pretty fair for a consignment shop. There are lots of vintage places around town, particularly in Shadyside, Lawrenceville, and the South Side.

In terms of actual thrifting, you can get dirt cheap deals all over town. I find that a lot of the Goodwills around town actually regularly have tons of Target clothes with tags still on. You can also find high-end things at the Ross Park Goodwill sometimes – I got a silk Brooks Brothers dress there for $5.

The most popular places to thrift are the Red White and Blues, which have slightly higher prices but killer selection. Also, I’ve heard that the Salvation Army on the South Side is an overlooked treasure, but as yet I’m still overlooking it!

7. Linda says:

Yes, I’m from the ‘Burgh (CMU grad) – don’t get home much, but ALWAYS hit Red White and Blue on Ohio River Boulevard (Rt. 66). It is in Avalon, just past Bellevue. I never fail to find great stuff there!

8. Nicole Westrick says:

Another vote for Avalon – I recommend the Mt. Lebanon location in the South Hills. I also agree with the Red, White and Blue on Route 51. There is also a very large Goodwill on Banksville Road with a pretty wide range of stuff.

9. Emilie says:

Thriftique! I swing by every time I’m back in town.

10. Christina says:

Avalon Exchange on Forbes Ave in Squirrel Hill- absolutely! Yesterday’s News in the Southside is great, as well as the big Goodwill right across from the Southside Works shopping area on Carson Street. I’ve had some great finds there, but sometimes it’s hit or miss. I am in LOVE with Eons. If you love good, quality vintage clothes from the 50s-80s, they have the best assortment of hats and dresses in town.

11. Annalese says:

I’ll put in another word for Red, White, and Blue! I like Avalon, although sometimes it feels like I’m paying almost as much as I would for a new thing. Further up river, I’ve found some good deals in the Corapolis St. Vincent DePaul’s, including my best thrifting find ever, a hand-beaded evening dress for $12! It’s on Rt. 51 near the Sewickley Bridge on the north end of town.

12. Lauren says:

Thirding Avalon, also want to mention A Child’s Wardrobe just down the hill from Avalon in Squirrel Hill, on Murray Avenue and Phillips.

I am a frequent shopper of the South Side Goodwill, and it’s amazing. Everyone should go there quite often.

13. BrieCS says:

Oh, awesome! Thanks for putting this one up! I totally need to get together a mad thrifting trip!

14. Rose says:

Just another vote for Avalon! Always seem to have good luck there.

15. Alex says:

I’m surprised by such enthusiastic recommendations for Avalon! Avalon is expensive. It’s an exchange store, which I think of as different from a straight up thrift store. It is much easier to find cool clothes there, of course, but you pay for it (you can sell clothes, too, but they are picky!).

I prefer Goodwill and the Salvation Army. Maybe I just like the hunt. I don’t drive so I usually just go to the ones in the South Side (Goodwill by South Side Works, SalVal all the way at the other end), but of course there are more of those two stores in the suburbs. I’ve always heard great things about Red, White & Blue but somehow have never made it to one!

As others have mentioned, there are a variety of smaller, pricier shops around town. I like Eons and Hey Betty but I never find anything that fits!

16. Marjie Stewart says:

I’ve done very well at both the Red White & Blue on 51 and the one on 65 (NOT 66 as another person posted) in Avalon (the town, not the resale shop). I also recommend Thriftique in Swissvale — and you MUST hit their Designer Dress Days event in the fall — usually late October or early November. Ambiance in Regent Square is good.

17. Azar says:

It’s not a thrift store but for cheap shopping you must check out Gabriel Brothers. http://www.gabrielbrothers.com/ They get all the clothing that didn’t sell at other stores as well as factory seconds and other things such as rejected dye lots. It takes a bit of digging like a thrift store but with a little effort you can find some fantastic gems.

18. ALS says:

Just a clarification for people who may be reading this post several months from now that the Goodwill across the street from South Side Works (2700 East Carson Street) will be moving to Lawrenceville sometime in 2011.

The Salvation Army on the South Side is pretty good, though they strangely organize their items by color. They are located on Bingham Street (one block north of East Carson) between 8th and 9th Streets.

19. Kacie says:

I have always had great luck at st. Vincent de Paul on 88. Go on Saturdays when certain colored tags are $1! Also the salvation army superstore in west mifflin. Tons of stuff!

20. Linda says:

Marije, you are right that the Red, White and Blue north of the city in Avalon is on Rt. 65, not 66. Don’t know what I was typing!! Also, good distinction between Avalon the small town between Bellevue and Ben Avon, and “Avalon” the store – totally different.

21. Rose says:

If you’re willing to take a bit of a drive, Beaver Falls (45-60 min away) and Aliquippa (45 min) both have fabulous Salvation Armies. The one in Beaver Falls is easily the best SA that I’ve visited out of PA, CO, & a few other states. It’s worth a peek!

22. Chaz says:

A child’s wardrobe on Murray avenue has the best selection of second hand clothing….. PERIOD! you will not be disappointed !!

23. A new neat little thrift boutique in Penn Hill on Saltsburg at Frankstown, Kelly’s Closet. Lots of great deals, more upscale, and really low, low prices! They have new stuff too…handbags, jewelry, makeup and this really great handmade soap. They also may take the stuff that Plato’s Closet or Avalon won’t take. They won’t give cash only store credit.

24. Sharon Coron says:

The best consignment shop I have been to is Vintage to Vogue on Valleybrook rd, in Peters great upscale merchandise and lots of new stuff too great accessories huge variety all in excellent condition. a must see place…………