31 January 2011

• Fuchsia top – thrifted
  • Dress – Gap, thrifted
  • Blue necklace – thrifted
  • Wooden bangle – thrifted
  • Tights – TJMaxx
  • Boots – Dillards

This entire outfit, save boots, tights, and undergarments, came from the local thrift store. It probably grand totaled at less than $10 for everything: dress, top, necklace, and bracelet. I can’t help it, I just love a good bargain. It makes me love an outfit like this even more.

Both the top (which is an empire waist turtleneck…hm, interesting) and the dress (also conveniently empire-waisted) were my attempts to add to my maternity wardrobe with items that could easily transition back into a post-baby wardrobe. I hadn’t planned on wearing these two together until I saw them accidentally hanging next to each other in my closet, making a loud but beautifully daring color statement. Add to this my newly acquired turquoise necklace and I’m right on track with my style resolution of embracing bolder prints, bolder color combinations, and bolder accessories.

Turquoise and FuchsiaFuchsia and Maroon

After this combination came together, it reminded me a bit of the Diane von Furstenberg pre-Fall 2011 collection, which has been making its rounds on the interwebs. I don’t own enough turquoises and teals to recreate some of these looks but I do love how those cool tones play against the warmer tans, reds, and oranges. My version is a little more maroon and fuchsia with only a dash of turquoise thrown in, but still a valiant attempt at a punchy color mix, right?

{image source}

What are some of your favorite color combinations right now? ~S.

14 week bump

{My week 14 bump, as these pictures were taken last Friday}

Tagged , , , , , , , ,

§ 15 Responses to 31 January 2011"

1. ash says:

I love the color combination. You look so warm, even with all of the snow – any tips for us southern girls who don’t know how to deal with the cold? I know my warm clothes aren’t near as pretty as this!

2. mckristie says:

I own this dress and love it but always tend to wear it with greys or blacks – thank you so much for the inspiration! You look beautiful.

3. I love the pop of cool turquoise next to the warmer tones of the rest of the outfit. Chic and cozy!

Oooh, I hadn’t seen the DVF collection yet. I love it!!

I also have an empire-waisted turtleneck dress, and it’s a bit difficult to style. I love how you’ve layered colors here, though. :)

5. A-C says:

This is so pretty! And I can definitely see you wearing it post-pregnancy, too. The color combination is lovely and is a testament to your stepping out of your comfort zone.

6. Em says:

Absolutely love this! And thrifty too!

7. Karen says:

I have a slew of t-shirt weight turtle necks that I layer under EVERYTHING in the winter. It is my favorite go-to for making warm-season clothing last longer. My favorite is pairing my deep plum turtle neck under a gorgeous blue, green, and cream plaid sundress. Paired with boots and tights and it flawlessly works through the colder weather.

8. Kelly says:

You know, I think I got rid of almost everything non-maternity that I wore as maternity clothes. Every time I would put any of it on, it reminded me of being pregnant, which I did not enjoy the 2nd time around. Plus, wearing the same things SO often made me really tired of them. I also didn’t end up liking the things I thrifted very much (slim pickings in my small town). I am really impressed when you and others can make thrifted items look so good.

9. I love the layering of the dress over the turtleneck, the whole look definitely calls back to the DVF collection in a great way. The purple and cognac combination is dynamite too – it reminds me of Clare’s great date night look the other day.

I’m working on wearing bolder colors and color combinations as well – lately I am really digging blushy pinks with murkier olive greens and browns.
    the other emily

10. Rachael says:

I love this look! I am very into pops of bright color right now – I just knit myself an amazing, super-soft coral neck-warmer that I was planning to wear with black and grey – but now I’m rethinking and wanting to wear it with something bright!

11. Evelyn says:

Right now my favorite color combo is salmon/coral with a vibrant blue that’s just barely turquoise or teal. They’re complimentary colors, but having some pink in the orange makes it less harsh than a yellow-er orange.

12. AW says:

LOVE this (and the link to the DVF collection, too). I think I’ll play with my turtleneck in the upcoming day or two.

13. Dawn says:

Oh I love this colour combination, S! The DVF collection is very inspiring!

14. Terri says:

This looks is simply beautiful. Thank goodness you hung those two pieces together in your closet.

15. Luinae says:

The color combination and all the shapes here are just beautiful! I think I’m going to try and recreate this look in my own wardrobe.