Weekend Workshop: Maternity Style Muses

January 29th, 2011 § 17 comments

I don’t know about you (fellow pregnant readers), but I haven’t picked up a single pregnancy magazine since finding out I was pregnant. I’ve flipped through a couple in the waiting room of my doctor’s office but I haven’t found them very helpful in rethinking how to approach my wardrobe. Instead, my inspiration has come from other ‘real’ people documenting their maternity style on blogs or on Flickr.

In the spirit of sharing resources, here are some of the pregnancy muses I’ve come to love and admire… a group of stylish and fabulous ladies making maternity look incredible. While they all have unique and varied styles, the one common factor is obvious: they all make pregnancy look fun, creative, and beautiful. They’re not hiding their changing bodies but rather embracing them and showing them off. Take a look for yourself…

Obviously the first thing I did, once I knew I was expecting, was to go back and dig through our ‘Maternity Style‘ archives to revisit how E. managed her pregnancy. At the time, I was so in awe of her style and elegance as E. always managed to look so chic and put together. I love how E. used accessories to spruce up a lot of basics, how she creatively layered, and how she used belting – below and above the bump – to create new shapes and silhouettes.

Next up is the lovely blogger behind Chai Love You, who I discovered on Flickr. Already the proud momma of one, this sassy blogger is balancing motherhood, a bourgeoning career in hair design, and pregnancy. I love her use of bold colors and fun patterns and her outfits that are stylish and fun yet could easily transition to playtime with a toddler. You can find all of her maternity style posts here.

Megan Hunt is the voice and creator behind the Princess Lasertron blog and company. She makes beautiful felt and vintage button bridal bouquets and accessories and used that same creative energy when putting together colorful and whimsical outfits throughout her pregnancy. (And don’t you just love those heart embellished pumps?) You can dig through her “Outfit” archives to find her maternity style posts, which are definitely worth the search!

I found Jess, of The Doe or the Deer, in Flickr’s Pregnancy Style group and was instantly intrigued by her by her use of color and bold pattern with a dash of rough (leather jackets, cowboy boots) thrown in. And she expertly layered dresses over jeans or leggings, which is a great way to transition too-short dresses into maternity tunics in those last months.

The Swedish Clara is someone I’ve followed for a while now over on Underbaraclara, a swedish blog of which I don’t understand a word! But I keep returning for her beautiful photography and amazing home decor. (I’m also fascinated by her ever-changing hair style and color). Clara’s pregnancy look is characterized by that Swedish mix of minimalism yet high elegance. She’s now got me sold on the high-waisted black maternity mini!

And there’s the lovely Jen of Jenloveskev, who rocked some gorgeous outfits throughout her entire pregnancy. One of my favorites was the yellow floral Megan Nielson dress that would look gorgeous cinched with a wide leather belt post-maternity too, no? You can also check out Jen’s Teacher Style Files for her non-maternity style.

How about you? Where did you find maternity style inspiration?

I’m curating a maternity style bibliography that will feature these and a few other bloggers, so I’d love any suggestions of other stylish mamas for me to include in that. Stay tuned for the Maternity Style Bibliography during the next Weekend Workshop! ~S.

§ 17 Responses to Weekend Workshop: Maternity Style Muses"

1. kat says:

ooh thanks for sharing! I wish I’d seen some of these earlier, I’m almost at the end here!

2. Aleatha says:

Ooh, thanks for all these links! I still have two and a half months to go, so there’s still plenty of time for me to keep working on my maternity style.

There’s also http://pregandfab.blogspot.com, which I’ve been enjoying a lot, although I have no idea how she manages to wear heels so often. Then again, she isn’t hiking up and down a very hilly campus wearing a laptop bag. :)

• academichic says:

Thanks, Aleatha! I have recently found her and she’s on my extended bibliography that I’ve been working on for next weekend! S.

(And yes, I don’t know how she pulls off those heels, although they look fabulous! But then again, I can’t pull off those kinds of heels when not pregnant, so…

S.

• Megan says:

Thanks for the Love Ladies!

Somehow heels are less tricky for me than flats. Flats seem to dig into my feet, give me blisters and no arch support – leading to extreme discomfort. ;)

3. Rose says:

Great post! I’m far from having babies any time soon, but it’s awesome to see what people pull off while their stomachs expand :)

Have you checked out Indiana Adams of Adored Austin? She had her baby at the beginning of November and had some great outfits throughout!

4. Tara says:

Thanks for posting this! I’m only 16 weeks and already feel like I’m in a style rut.

5. Charlotte says:

Also in the spirit of sharing (unrelated to maternity), and if you love these heart-adorned shoes… You should have a look at the shoe clips selection on shopbando.com
    And frankly, that has even given me some DYI ideas!

6. thanks, s.! for including me and for providing some new maternity style muses! perfect timing because i’m definitely running out of motivation and inspiration to get dressed in this late stage of pregnancy :)

7. ash says:

the pictures looking down at the belly from chai love you are so cute!

check out domestic sophisticate! http://domesticatedsophisticate.blogspot.com/

8. I have to recommend I Still Love Fashion: http://istilllovefashion.tumblr.com/

This mama has managed to go sans-maternity clothes so far (and she’s pretty far along, from the look of things).

9. Megan says:

I liked James’ maternity style – it’s a lot of great vintage with a little rock and roll mixed in. Her baby was born in August or September, but if you want to check out her style, here’s the beginning of her ‘baby bird’ themed posts (including her weekly maternity shots):

10. meg says:

hey thanks for mentioning my pictures! I am in good company. :) xo

11. Debbie says:

Thanks for sharing these! I’m pregnant too with my first (about 2 weeks behind you S.) and you and E. are my style inspirations. :-) I can’t wait to see your maternity style bibliography. I plan to document my evolving style on my blog (and try to keep wearing as many of my beloved Anthropologie items as I can).

12. Sarah says:

Someone beat me to it so I’ll second James at Bleubird Vintage. Her style is totally awesome, and she looked amazing through her whole pregnancy. Definitely inspiring! Thanks for the muses… This 19 week belly is getting bored already, and I have 21 weeks left!

13. Rachael says:

My husband and I are planning to start trying sometime in the near-ish future, so I am bookmarking this page and so many of the pages listed! Thanks ahead of time for a great resource!