27 January 2011 – Marooned

• Belt: Anthropologie
  • Tights: Italy
  • Shoes: BR
  • Blazer: Anne Taylor Loft
  • Scarf: thrifted
  • Bracelet: Accessorize

I’ve been on the hunt lately for dresses because life is so much easier when I can just match tights, belt, shoes and dress rather than several layers of separates. Basically, it’s the end of January and I’m feeling lazy! I scored this sweater dress (very similar to E.’s great burgundy dress) at the BR factory outlet recently and was trilled that it was on sale. I was a little worried that it was a tad short for teaching, but like E. said with her new yellow skirt, I decided that with tights it was fine. Even as a petite woman I’ve been finding it really hard lately to find dresses or skirts (that aren’t pencil skirts) that come to an inch or two above my knee rather than three or four inches above my knee. Is anyone else having that problem? I thought I’d treat maroon as a neutral and pair it with navy blue and brown (a combination with which E. has also dabbled). I added the blazer because it’s still freezing out.

This scarf is something that I thrifted when I was 5. Yes, you read that correctly. I remember going to the church fair with my grandmother and picking this one out specifically because of the gold details and the brilliant blue and orange. I guess it was only a matter of time before a few of my friends asked me to join their style blog (wink wink). The combination of the diamond patterned tights and the more scrolling floral motif of the scarf also counts towards my new quest to mix patterns!

It has languished in my dress-up box since I was about 10, but I recently was digging through the attic at home and salvaged a few items (including this costume jewelry pin) from my treasure trove. What items do you still have in your wardrobe from when you were a kid?

~L.

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , ,

§ 18 Responses to 27 January 2011 – Marooned"

1. T. says:

I love that scarf, and I about fell off my chair when you said you thrifted it when you were 5!!

I still have some scarves that my grandma bought for me when I was a child/teen. I also have an adorable brushed gold apple pin from Avon that my aunt gave me when I was in elementary school. I used to wear it when I was in college (in the late 80s), but I haven’t worn it in ages. I just checked ebay, and see that it’s going for 99 cents!

2. Melissa says:

I love this! Love the colors, the patterned tights, the scarf, everything is so beautiful!

3. AW says:

I have the earrings I first wore when I got my ears pierced when I was 5 (gold hearts). That’s my oldest item. I, too, have a bag of dress-ups, so maybe those count… but they’re hiding down in the basement and surely don’t get used for regular rotations. Love the sweater dress (and, no, you’re not the only shortie having trouble finding knee-length skirts).

4. Jennifer M. says:

Love the story behind the scarf!

5. Starling says:

I’m 5 feet even, and I’m also having trouble finding skirts that are an inch or so below the knee. I just bought a lined wool skirt from the J. Crew outlet (about 3 inches above the knee) that must be a miniskirt on non-petites! It looks like a work skirt, but who can wear a mini to work – especially in the cold?

6. Bettina says:

Regarding skirt length, I actually have the opposite problem most of the time: anything that’s supposed to be about knee length turns out just a tad too long on me, making me look like I raided my granny’s closet (and picked out the not-so stylish pieces). On the other hand, I can wear things taht are supposed to be short on normal people to work just fine ;)

7. A-C says:

Length of skirts and dresses has been a bit odd lately. This dress with the tights does not read mini at all. As long as the tights are opaque-ish, you should be fine.

8. Alicia says:

Thank you so much for mentioning skirt lengths! I work full time as a substitute teacher (while finishing a MA) and prefer dresses/skirts to slacks and am having the most difficult time finding work appropriate attire, even though I am only 5’4″. Sometimes, I feel prudish when out shopping because I am constantly dismissing attire as “too short.” One of the reasons I am so drawn to this style blog is that you beautiful ladies always look gorgeous and situation appropriate!

You look stunning today! The scarf really makes the outfit special.

9. Licia says:

That is a great outfit. I love the colors. It incorporates many colors without overdoing it. Just right!

10. Rachael says:

I’m short (5’1) and have had the same problem with skirts lately! The skirt I’m wearing today is from the Gap, and certainly would be a mini on a taller lady. I actually have noticed myself tugging it down a bit today, possibly because my tights are thinner than the ones I normally wear with it.

11. Starling says:

Just to follow up on Bettina’s comment, that’s the kind of problem I normally have (and I would imagine it’s one that most short women have). I just got rid of a years-old Old Navy skirt that is absolutely beautiful, but completely stumpifying in its mid-calf length. This work-mini trend seems to be a really recent “innovation.” I can’t imagine how taller people are dealing if petites are having this much trouble!

12. Helena says:

Love the colour of the dress and the belt!

13. Amelia says:

I’m with you on the skirt length. I’ve always considered myself to be “average” height (5’6″) but have felt taller lately because so many skirts seem so short. I recently bought a tweedy sheath dress from the limited – clearly a work piece – but I only feel comfortable wearing it with tights because of the length.

14. Alisha says:

I am having that problem with clothing, and I’m average height at 5’6″. That’s actually one of the reasons I took up sewing, actually, so that I could make/alter clothes that fit right.

15. Heather says:

I recently started to wear a couple of costume jewelry items of my grandma’s that I had played dress-up with when I was a kid- rediscovering them was like finding treasure, and it’s lovely to have items that remind me of family on me during the day. I also struggle with finding appropriate- length clothing. I’m 5’9″, so it’s certainly a problem that I expect to have, but I’ve also increased tolerance of high hemlines, especially when paired with leggings or thick tights. Fortunately I’m a grad student that doesn’t teach and works in a very casual environment, so it hasn’t been a problem at this point in time.

16. laura says:

Wow. I love that scarf! I can’t believe you chose it when you were 5! I really like how you wore all your accessories (scarf, belt, bracelet)– they all come together nicely.

17. This is one of your best outfits. Love that scarf, especially with the history.

18. katrina says:

I too have the same problem with dress and skirt lengths, especially summer dresses! I want to go bare legged because of the heat, but the length isn’t appropriate for a work environment.

As for the oldest clothing in my repetoire: I have a pair of gym shorts from junior high (20+ years ago). Simple navy shorts, they are comfy for excercise and outings on the boat. Which is where the really funny part comes in: we went sailing on our small sailboat on forth of july weekend, and ran into trouble when one of the mainsail lines snapped. We were floundering for a fix to get us back to shore when I noticed the faux drawstring on my shorts.Pulled it off, tied the sail back in place, and thats how my 20 year old gym shorts kept us from having to call the bay constable for help.