Academichic Year Two: E.’s Top Ten

January 14th, 2011 § 12 comments

I’ve been staring at this screen for a while, trying to think of what to say about my favorite outfits from Academichic’s second year. These aren’t my most exciting outfits, most fashion-forward, most innovative, or necessarily most interesting. But I would wear each one again in a heartbeat, and I think each captures some aspect of whatever it is that comprises “E. style”: machine washable elegance.

Two things that I self-consciously set out to incorporate more into my wardrobe this year were pattern and new proportions. I think I’ve finally conquered my fear of stripes, and pattern mixing comes much more easily than it used to. I barely batted an eyelash before pulling on lace tights with a striped top. As for proportions, I’ve come to value the possibilities of a billowy top that is not being used as maternity wear! My gray fluttery top (in pictures #2 and #4) proved to be an outfit-maker whether tucked into high-waisted pants or belted loosely outside a pencil skirt. I also learned new ways to work with my long torso, wearing a tunic and skinny pants with a shorter jacket (#6) and high-waisted pleated shorts with a tucked in cardigan (#8).

Still, I think color remains the way that an outfit most encapsulates “me.” Some of my favorite color combinations are evidenced in these favorite outfits. Mustard and plum. Olive and navy. Maroon and navy. Gray and yellow. Orange, yellow-orange, and blue green.

Also, I had a really good shoe year, right?!

Turquoise Steve Madden Ulltra Pumps Caylin Wedge, Lauren by Ralph Lauren
Steve Madden Ollie Booties MIA Wedges

Due in part to dissertation research, I’ve thought and blogged a bit this year about embodied experience, about bodies that are never neutral and that bodies and clothes are inextricably tangled together in how others perceive us. It’s a train of thought that will certainly re-emerge in year three, likely also in regards to mothering.

This has been such a great creative outlet for me in the midst of a lot of other life and career crazinesses, and like the other Chics, I really treasure your support and encouragement over the past year! Thank you!

Do you have a favorite among these looks?

Tagged ,

§ 12 Responses to Academichic Year Two: E.’s Top Ten"

1. Beth says:

Outfit one and nine are, I think, two of your greatest looks. This is the kind of look I drift towards, knit dress with great color combos and interesting accents.

I love everything you do, keep up the good work lady!

2. Helena says:

I like outfits 1 and 8, so simple yet interesting. And I LOVE the last pair of shoes.

3. Amanda says:

Three and nine are my favorites. I own the dress in outfit nine in magenta–you have inspired me to wear it in winter with tights!

4. Rachael says:

I think I want the phrase “machine-washable elegance” on my business cards. And I love looks three and five!

5. Luinae says:

My favourites are 1, 8, and 9. In my opinion, you always have the best colour combos, that really inspire me to branch out in my wardrobe.

6. Nerd Girl says:

I have that gray Tarjhay top (outfits 2 and 4) and have reworked it a number of ways thanks to your always innovative styling.

I love your color combinations and will definitely be using you as an inspiration as I try to inject a little more color in my daily wear.

My favorites: 9 and 10.

7. Nadine says:

‘Machine-washable elegance’ and ‘colour’ are why I love your style.

8. Grace says:

Machine washable elegance is the style towards which I’m working, I think, and you DEFINITELY have it! My favorite outfits are #2 and #5 and I LOVE your MIA wedges. They actually inspired me to buy a similar pair.

9. I enjoy looking at all the fascinating color combos you could come up with! Thank you for introducing me to mustard/ marigold! They’re great at brightening up a dull, gray, snowy day.

And I covet your shoes!

10. Tia says:

#3 is my favorite.

11. BusiChic says:

I am completely mad for the ensemble with the cropped yellow cardi over the belted tunic over the pencil skirt and oh my; ALL you shoes are divine!

I’ve a workwear streetstyle blog; only I photograph other people rather than feature myself – let me know if you come over to Australia ;)

http://www.BusinessChic.com.au ~ workwear inspiration

12. [...] I hate writing conclusions. When I was writing my MA thesis I panicked over my conclusion for a couple of weeks and then purposefully went to bed stressing out about it in the hope that my subconscious could work through it for me. (It did, actually, and I woke up and scribbled down my dream conclusion the next morning.) I’ve yet to have a similar fit of inspiration for writing out my concluding thoughts for a project that has been so meaningful and serves as a reminder of how much I — and my life — has changed over the past two and a half years. (In fact, if you want to see how my style has evolved through this blog, you can check out my Top Ten from Year One and my Top Ten from Year Two.) [...]