29 December 2010 – Go Wild!

December 29th, 2010 § 12 comments

29 December – TDM Milli Zebra Scarf, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Shirt: Banana Republic
  • Pencil Skirt: BR
  • Scarf: Napali by TDM Designs
  • Belt: American Apparel
  • Stockings (under): Calvin Klein
  • Fishnets: Gucci
  • Boots: vintage Charles David

Hi all! Like E. said, I’ve also been home relaxing and enjoying time with family and friends (and fighting off a string of illnesses as well, unfortunately). I’ve mostly been sporting a variety of jeans and sweaters, and now that New England is covered in over a foot of snow, I’ve only ventured out in serious boots and a down jacket! However, I did manage to get out for an evening Boxing Day party on Sunday (I’m half Canadian, so part of my family celebrates the feast day of St. Stephen as well as Christmas). I knew I wanted to wear this infinity scarf by Napali by TDM Designs looped around my neck because the cashmere is light as a feather and soft as silk. The fun zebra print (which is actually brown) and the golden background are two features I do not usually embrace in my wardrobe, but I’m trying to give both prints and yellow a shot and this outfit worked well for me.

29 December – Scarf as Wrap, originally uploaded by academichic.

Because the infinity scarf is so wide — 22 inches — I also tried this as a shrug of sorts and decided to use my sparkly yellow pin as a clasp. Although much more subtle than the top of my outfit I also chose a purple belt and fishnets to layer over stockings to bring in some complementary colors and liven things up. The boots were a must due to weather as well as warmth. That’s all for now. Check back later this week for a potential New Years Eve outfit!

29 December – Scarf as Wrap back, originally uploaded by academichic.

(Full Disclosure: I arranged this outfit while still on campus during my end of term photo shoot, hence the wooded background!)

Tagged , , , , , ,

§ 12 Responses to 29 December 2010 – Go Wild!"

1. Beth says:

Wow, that scarf is wonderful. I like what you did using a little but of the purple hues with the brown. And I’m with you, I have a hard time wearing animal print at all but you wear this wonderfully.

Feel better! If you have time, check out my baby blog.

2. Someone says:

The way the scarf uses the print is nicer than usual, but I still stand by my aversion to the eternally revived “African animal patterns on women” cliché.

As a feminist I object to its implications (we also never see these patterns on men outside of pimp wear), including the colonialist implications about animals, women, and Africa all at once.

3. Keira says:

This is so chic! And I love the idea of layering tights under fishnets — a trick I must try myself soon.

4. Iris says:

I like the way this pops with black and I think the option where you wore it around you back it pretty awesome, none of mine are that long but, I’ll have to keep my eye out :)

5. canuck_grad says:

I am full Canadian, and I’ve never heard of the feast day of St. Stephen lol.

6. indigorchid says:

Great outfit! I really like the neutrals of browns, golden tones, and purples, with the black! That’s a really flattering outfit on you!

7. Sarah says:

Beauitful scarf!! I like the purple and black color combo too!

Sarah at Classroom Chic

8. Maureen says:

Your outfit looks classy and elegant. Feel better!

9. admin says:

@Someone – Thanks for bringing up the topic of feminism and animal prints. I feel very ambivalent about wearing animal prints for a variety of reasons including the ones that you mentioned, and I apologize for failing to include that in my initial post. I know that other blogs, including this post by Anne-Marie of Scholar Style Guide, have had similar conversations that have led to some fruitful exchanges.

@Canuck_Grad – I guess I shouldn’t have made it sound like all Canadians celebrate Boxing Day! :)

10. Mira says:

We do celebrate Boxing Day, except it’s called Boxing Day, not St. Stephen’s Day.

11. Elaine says:

I love your hair! You seem to be wearing it up a little more