E.’s Houston to Hawaii, 2010-2011

December 23rd, 2010 § 10 comments

I leave today for a multi-leg holiday trip. First, it’s off to Houston and weather in the upper 50′s to visit the in-laws for a week. Then, we’re jetting off to Honolulu where baby e. and I will get to spend twelve glorious days recuperating from this past whirlwind of a semester.

My husband has a fervent hatred for airline baggage check fees and an endearingly firm belief in my ability to pack for a trip of such length in just two carry-ons between the three of us. (There are a couple of key points to make about feasibility here. First, these are warm(er) climates, so there’s less bulk to pack. Second, we’ll definitely be doing laundry. Like, every six days. And third, we bought many of our Christmas gifts online and had them shipped to their respective residences.)

In any case, we’ll be traveling, per usual, with our trusted Tom Bihn Aeronauts. Some time next week I’ll have a post showing how I fit everything into this nifty bag. But for now I’ll show you what I’m taking and….drumroll….solicit your help in coming up with 20 outfits, no repeats, for two climates and a range of different events.

Ta da.

Get your own Mini Editor from Polyvore

Okay, so the above has some imaginative license taken with it. These are not all necessarily THE items I’ve packed, so much as items that approximate my actual garments. For example, my black skirt is a homemade deal, not $185. And the taupe jersey dress is actually this one with the macrame neck detail. But you get the idea, right?

I’d love to see your ideas for how I can remix over the next twenty days or so. You’ll have to have a Polyvore account (or log in through Facebook) to save your outfit. Once you hit “publish,” your creation will be saved in the mini-editor’s gallery as well as on your own Polyvore account.

Give me some ideas for:

• Christmas Eve service in Houston
  • Anniversary date night in downtown Houston
  • Traditional Japanese New Year’s meal in Honolulu
  • Lunch with high school friends in Honolulu
  • Whatever else you feel like!

Tagged

§ 10 Responses to E.’s Houston to Hawaii, 2010-2011"

1. Flarah says:

Whew, what fun! Have a great trip.

2. Kara says:

Packing light is definitely possible–even in colder climates. I just came back from a 17 day trip to England/Scotland. Most of the clothing I brought had to be warm and academic appropriate (including one for presenting at a conference). I managed to pack everything in a carry-on size suitcase and backpack. And…I had room for my winter coat and gifts for friends on the way over, and a bottle of whisky on the way back. One thing that helped is to bring skirts–takes up less room than pants.

To think I used to take two huge suitcases with me on such trips!

I’m with your husband on avoiding those baggage fees though–and carry-on packing is definitely possible!

3. Bri says:

How fun! I published a possible Christmas Eve outfit for you. I am stuck at home semi-injured and with nothing to do, so yay for dressing vicariously!

4. Amy says:

No outfit ideas right now; I’m just really excited to get to vicariously experience Honolulu through you. :) I love that place.

5. Julia says:

I created a “lunch with high school friends” one–I am from Hilo and go to university on the mainland as well.

Screwed up a little on the “deleting items” deal, so ignore all the mishmash at the bottom.

The mustard top is meant to be unbuttoned and I stuck it in in case it’s ‘cold’ and gross (as I said, I’m from Hilo, where we’ve had two very solid storm fronts move in from Oahu) and the two pairs of shoes are for whether you want to be more formal or not (although really, slippers go for anything)

Mostly the obi top is perfect for Honolulu–casual enough not to be too formal but fun enough to be like “ha HA, high school friends, I live on the mainland and am SUPER STYLISH”

6. jentine says:

Did you know that I can’t travel somewhere (overpacked as always) without feeling like you and S. would be ashamed of my lack of packing skillllzzz? Thanks for that:)

7. Maureen says:

Have a great trip and an even better 2011!

8. Tamara says:

Have a lovely time. I wish you’d published what you packed now as I am sitting here contemplating (read: struggling about) what/what not to pack for my trip to Honolulu too. I’ll be there next week for a conference and of course pleasure and I’m pretty good at packing light for conferences, not so much for pleasure. Perhaps we shall cross paths ;-)

9. [...] but I thought I’d check in briefly to let you all know that I’ve enjoyed looking at your outfit suggestions created from my limited packing list and they’ve helped to keep me clothed in non-boring outfits since we’ve been in [...]

10. Sara says: