What I Really Wore

December 20th, 2010 § 17 comments

In Which I Resemble a Christmas Ornament, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Sweater: Forever 21
  • Earrings: gift from Philippines
  • Belt: Target
  • Skirt: refashioned from a Wet Seal dress
  • Tights: costume store
  • Wedges: MIA via DSW

I actually did go to a party with professors this weekend! But after already photographing some holiday party looks, the shine had worn off a bit, leaving me looking through my closet for an outfit that assimilated my favorite parts of all three theoretical looks.

This resulting outfit brings together a full skirt, a bright tight, and a fun shoe into one festive package. I probably should have added more accessories besides little earrings, but since I knew I would be spending part of the night chasing baby e. around, I decided to take a more minimal approach and let my tights bring the bulk of the holiday cheer.

Lest you think me so brave for wearing these tights to a department party, let me assure you that I had to give myself a pep talk before hand: “Self, you have met every department expectation this year. Tonight you show them that you are your own woman.”

I don’t know if that’s exactly the message that got across. I received a lot of, “Oh, how festive!” comments, and as I was leaving the party one professor told me that I looked like a Christmas ornament in my “wonderful skirt and amazing shoes and those red socks.” I’m just going to take that as: you look like you’re celebrating.

And I was.

In Which I Resemble a Christmas Ornament, originally uploaded by academichic.

Tagged ,

§ 17 Responses to What I Really Wore"

1. Helena says:

Love it! Lovely shoes and I love tights to put a spin on an outfit. I’ve shown up to work in plaid and pink stockings (different occasions) and one of my older co-workers said “how I wish to be young girl and show up for work in pink stockings”

2. Sally says:

The bright red tights and subdued shoes look amazing together!

3. I absolutely adore this outfit, and I think it’s PERFECT for a holiday department party. So sophisticated, yet so fun. And I love the prof comment about your “red socks.”

Lots of people will probably think that you shouldn’t wear such things to a professional party, but I completely disagree–and I think the laudatory comments from your professors speak to that. They are undeniably positive, and they also speak to what we’re trying to achieve in fashion and academia–using style as rhetoric. In this case, your festive mood showed through, as well as just a bit of cheeky humor, yet done in a professional way. LOVE IT.

4. Luinae says:

Oh, I love it! You look so lovely and perky. Those shoes, also, are absolutely amazing. Love it!

5. Karla says:

I love a full skirt! Those tights really do ‘light’ up the outfit. Besides black tights would not have been as fun. Lovely!

6. Chaia says:

Beautiful outfit. I love the ballerina-esque quality, with a very slight bit of a punk rock edge! Awesome.

7. Terri says:

applause on the red tights! Sometimes though our superiors can surprise us. I was at a meeting to evaluate my department chair recently. The dean was dressed entirely in red, with argyle tights and red and blue cowboy boots!

8. Jeni says:

super festive tights! i think that they work well to make the outfit less ordinary and more holiday-y!

9. TL says:

This is amazing! I need to find some red tights!

10. Rebecca says:

Well, I’m a senior professor of my academic department and know the difference between socks and tights. Oy. And *I* think that is a SMASHING outfit. Perfect for a professor party. I always find it sad when faculty are so nerdy that they say such things. They make us ALL look bad.

And I am going to google MIA suede momentarily. I must have those shoes. :)

11. Kerrie says:

Why, those tights are just stunning! I love the entire outfit,actually! Great balance.

12. GreatCaanadianBeagle says:

Now THIS is how you do classy holiday party dress. I love your non-Holiday sweater nod to the season!

13. Kris says:

Super cute outfit! I shall have to hunt down some red tights to wear with my LBD for Christmas. :)

14. Iris says:

I wouldn’t call you an ornament but, I will say that you look very festive! I love the red tights :)

15. kelsey says:

Did you take inspiration for this look from kendi’s signature dress post? The surprise of the red tights is a beautiful high note of the look.

16. Annelise says:

You look great! I love the red tights and love the shoes even more.

17. Lydia says:

I love it! What is the name of your shoes??