16 December 2010 – Oh Hi There

December 16th, 2010 § 11 comments

16 December 2010 – Oh Hi There, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Cardigan: Pretty Good, via Marshalls
  • Tank: Target, embellished by me
  • Belt: thrifted
  • Jeans: Gap, clothes swap from A.
  • Shoes: Lower East Side, very old

This casual outfit is really a blast from the past. First off, the shoes. I didn’t take a close up picture of them because, dear readers, they are pretty ugly. I bought them 10 years ago during my first mainland winter as an undergrad. I knew I needed closed toe, brown shoes with tread. I had absolutely no aesthetic for choosing closed toe shoes, and so, I picked this kind of platform-ish, boxy, moccasin type pair. Weirdly, what they lack in aesthetics they make up for in three-times-a-year practicality when it’s icy out and I need good tread, want my feet to be higher off of the ground, and am tired of wearing jeans tucked into boots.

Secondly, it’s the return of the wide leg jean. Yippee! I snagged these from A. during our last clothing swap, and I am remembering all the reasons that I loved wide leg jeans. I love the long, unbroken legline, the hint of a retro vibe, and the way they look when you move in them.

To balance out the boxy shoe and the wide legged pant, I went with a more body-conscious top half, wrapped in the middle with a double belt. I’m feeling like it’s time for me to bring the wide leg jean back into rotation. I just might go on a skinny pants strike for a few days to test things out.

Tagged , , ,

§ 11 Responses to 16 December 2010 – Oh Hi There"

1. Beth says:

I love wide-leg jeans and was sad to see skinnies take over, so I’m happy to see you tackle them! I’m still hoarding my wide-leg pants from before…. Cute outfit!

2. A says:

love your outfit — and I also love wide legged jeans! :)

3. Cute jeans! I totally cracked up when I saw “Lower East Side” for the shoes. I owned some platform black wedges from that line back in high school. They were ridiculously chunky but super comfortable.

4. Sarah says:

Love the wide legged jeans!! They are a great break from skinny jeans!

Sarah at Classroom Chic

5. Jen says:

I also had some LES shoes back in the day. :) Show us some pics of yours!

6. TL says:

I love the yellow top! How did you do the embellishment?

7. Iris says:

Wide leg jeans are my favorite, so universally flattering. I love what you did to that tank top!!

8. Darcie says:

Love, love, love this look!

9. Alexandra says:

Wow. I love the whole outfit, and the jeans are fabulous.

10. canuck_grad says:

The jeans look amazing on you!

11. Diana says:

This look is amazing on you! I’m happy to see that a variety of pant leg styles are in vogue right now. I think that each one has their own qualities that make them work with different outfits.