24 November 2010 – Barefoot in the Kitchen

November 24th, 2010 § 8 comments

24 November 2010 – Barefoot in the Kitchen, originally uploaded by academichic.

I’m a little surprised that I’m already halfway through this 30 for 30 experience. I’m trying not to fuss over whether or not I’m being creative “enough” or even “fully” utilizing all of my chosen items. Instead, I’m reveling in the creative possibilities of making do with less in ways that suit my changing daily demands and the volatile Midwest weather. Case in point, today my sisters-in-law and I spent most of the day in the kitchen, hiding from the wet, cold weather outside and baking pies for tomorrow’s Thanksgiving meal. I know it’s only been a few days since I last wore this maxi, but I’m afraid I’m getting a little addicted to its swishy, snuggly coziness for casual fall days.

Anyway, today I’m barefoot in my kitchen, and inordinately proud of this beautiful pear almond tart we made! An early Happy Thanksgiving wish, to our American readers. I hope you are able to be surrounded tomorrow by those you are most thankful for.

Tagged , ,

§ 8 Responses to 24 November 2010 – Barefoot in the Kitchen"

1. THAT tart looks delicious!! Would you mind sharing the recipe?

2. Terri says:

Oh, the tart looks delicious! I overheard a mention of something made from mashed parsnips and pears yesterday on NPR. Had to make a special trip to the grocery for the ingredients. It looks like mashed potatoes, but has a flavor all its own. Need NO gravy!

A beautiful remix of this dress, and artful pose.

3. MONKEYFACE says:

Um lol. :) Your expression is priceless and I’m sure the pear tart is, too. And you look seriously AMAZING in that top/maxi!

4. Kellie says:

Beautiful! I packed away my maxi dresses and now you’re making me want to pull them out. Happy Thanksgiving!

Second Star

5. glenn says:

There is so much colorful goodness in that picture I don’t know where to begin. The tart looks great, the outfit looks hella cute and comfortable at the same time, and I love what you’ve done with the paint. That’s even a pretty cool plate. :)

6. Sarah says:

I just stumbled upon your blog and I just had to say how excited I am! I just began my own blog last night (on a whim, hence the title)and my academic tendencies led me through a slew of blogs for inspiration and reference. How refreshing it is to find kindred spirits, who are accomplished at balancing the joys of fashion and food with the oh-so-serious world of academia. I’ve added you to my blog list, so I can follow your updates!

7. M.E.J. says:

You look wonderful in that maxi dress, E.! I wish I could consider the maxi trend, but the fact that I’m petite restrains me from it (sad, sad)…
    Anyway, great skirt, both shape and color, and the tart looks delicious!!! Please share the recipe! Not a baking blog here, I understand, but you tempted us with the pics! Consider it a footnote, in true academic fashion :)

8. admin says:

Now that we’ve actually consumed the pear tart and can vouch for its deliciousness, you can find the recipe here. If you like pears and almonds, you’ll love this. If you don’t like pears and almonds….well, you’re out of luck :)

- E