22 November 2010 – Occam’s Razor

November 22nd, 2010 § 6 comments

Blown sideways, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Plaid shirt: thrifted
  • Navy tank: Target
  • Belt: Gap Outlet
  • Bracelet: gift from A.
  • Skirt: Target
  • Wedges: thrifted

While I might not think that Occam’s razor is the ultimate guiding principle for science, theology, or philosophy, I have to say that this law of economy definitely has its merits when it comes to getting dressed. Of all the variants, Leonardo da Vinci’s pithy restatement — “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication” — translates best to figuring out how to wear this thrifted plaid shirt.

Indeed, the simplest solution — with a gray pencil skirt, belt, and wedges — seems to have been my best so far. Per the suggestions of many, I rolled up the sleeves and threw on a cuff bracelet for some extra oomph and subtle pattern mixing. The only thing I couldn’t quite decide was if I liked it better with the shirt tucked in our let out.

In the end I left it untucked. The more casual vibe was more appropriate for today’s activities, and I already had enough to worry about with this unseasonably warm, windy weather wreaking havoc in my hair!

Tagged , , , , ,

§ 6 Responses to 22 November 2010 – Occam’s Razor"

1. Ashley J says:

I love this casual vibe! The ruggedness of the plaid shirt gives your pencil skirt an unexpected twist!!

2. Holly says:

It’s amazing what a difference cuffing the sleeves can make.

I like it both ways: tucked-in and tucked-out.

3. m says:

The untucked look is a little different for you, since it does not mitigate the long torso. But I like it. The juxtaposition of casual shirt and sleek skirt is fun and refreshing. And there is no need to have to fuss with keeping a shirt tucked in when concerned with not being blown away.

4. Mel says:

Very cute and casual look! I actually have pieces like these but have never worn them together. I will have to copy your look!

5. Liz Rosas says:

I love that unique plaid design and I love it tucked, because I love to tuck in shirts!

6. Em says:

I absolutely vote for the untucked look. It’s breezy (no pun intended, I swear) and fun.