Fall Trend: Jewel Tones

November 15th, 2010 § 18 comments

Jewel Tones, originally uploaded by academichic.

Can you tell how much I loved wearing this outfit? Yup, it was a hit. This look draws from the fall trend of “jewel tones”, and the deep sapphire of the shirt and ruby red of my pendant and belt were inspired by designers that feature these saturated and heart stopping hues in their fall collections.

Jewel Tones – Stylebakery.com, originally uploaded by academichic.

InStyle states:

Not exactly flirtatious, certainly not sweet, fall hues like garnet, malachite and carnelian guarantee drama, especially when used monochromatically. Gem tones also serve to accentuate such fabrics as shiny satins or shimmery metallics and details like pleating and draping…These jewel tones don’t attract; they command.

I definitely loved the fully saturated blue and red together. I felt pulled together and super professional all day in this number, which was important because getting through this last week until Thanksgiving break is really taking it out of me! I find that at least for me, dressing up changes my attitude and how I carry myself is influenced by what I’m wearing. Hence, during this extremely tiring period of the boarding school year, looking neat and stylish is making up for whatever I’m lacking in actual motivation and energy.

Jewel Tones, originally uploaded by academichic.

I also love this necklace and can’t help but feel dramatic when I’m wearing it.

Ruby Red Necklace, originally uploaded by academichic.

As E. heads off to her major field exam and A. finishes up her grant applications I say, “Keep up the great work, my friends! You’ll rock those tests and apps, AND you look fabulous in your 30 for 30 at the same time!”

~ L.

Tagged , , , , , , ,

§ 18 Responses to Fall Trend: Jewel Tones"

1. Amanda Lee says:

You look awesome! Also, I hate to say this, because it probably takes longer to straighten your hair than to let it go wavy, but your hair looks REALLY good!

2. Amy says:

Fabulous necklace! I’ve always been a jewel-tone fan, and I’m glad they’re everywhere right now. They’re especially fun to have in basics–to wear (like you did) with great monochromatic pieces.

3. Terri says:

I’ve just recently discovered this jewel tones trick. You look really sharp here and the necklace is wonderful.

4. Trystan says:

Hee, I didn’t realize jewel tones were a trend – they’re my tried-&-true staple! Always looks flattering, rich, & can work as a great background for one special accessory – like that gorgeous necklace you have there.

5. Expat says:

I totally agree about dressing up as a way to improve my mood and motivation to get through the day.

6. Kellie says:

I love the way your shirts frame the necklace…beautiful!

7. Rose says:

This outfit is beautiful on you and I love the necklace!! Your hair also is super cute today!! :)

8. Jen says:

I love this outfit! It is super professional but looks very comfy- the best of both worlds!

9. m says:

That necklace is just stunning! Not only are jewel tones very on trend right now, they are also some of the most universally flattering hues (so said Real Simple a few years ago; my personal experience confirms).

10. Diana says:

Jewel tones are my favorite, and I LOVE that necklace! Also, how awesome that it came from Keiko Gallery… I used to work with Keiko’s husband, and went to a couple of openings there – such a lovely store. I should definitely go there more often…

11. Licia says:

I recently went to a dressy party wearing an emerald green dress. I was the only pop of color in a sea of black and I got all kinds of positive comments from fellow party goers. Even my husband, who does not pay attention to clothes one bit, liked it.
    PS: Your hair looks really nice.

12. Robin says:

Love the outfit, I’ve always been a fan of jewel tones!

13. Katie W says:

What a beautiful blue, I’m such a fan of the jewel tones! And this silhouette is perfect!

14. [...] Hip hip hooray for jewelry week! I have been known to base whole outfits around a single piece of jewelry, wear my favorite pieces when I’m in an especially stressful [...]

15. [...] consignment stores (like my grey dress). For the staples though, especially fitted items – pencil skirts, sheath dresses, a cropped blazer, black dress slacks – I bought new. Many of you are [...]

16. [...] up with belts and fun colors.  I never have to scroll back very far to find a whole bunch of outfits I love and want to emulate.  (Like E’s fall-ification of her maxi dress.  I should try [...]

17. I know this web page provides quality based articles or reviews and additional information,
    is there any other web site which provides such things in quality?