29 October 2010

October 29th, 2010 § 8 comments

29 October 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Scarf: gift from sister-in-law
  • Leather jacket: gift from father-in-law, from Argentina
  • Olive top: Target
  • Skinnies: Ann Taylor
  • Pumps: Madden Girl, via DSW

My father-in-law purchased this leather jacket while on a business trip in Argentina and then gave it to me as a Christmas gift several years ago. I think we were all surprised when I opened it. I was surprised because owning a leather jacket had never really crossed my mind at that point, but I was all kinds of enamored with the buttery texture and cropped fit. My sisters-in-law were surprised that their dad had even purchased such a thing. And my father-in-law was surprised that he had scored a purchasing win.

InStyle Trends: Leather Jackets, originally uploaded by academichic.

Sometimes I’m still surprised that I own a leather jacket. But, now that leather moto jackets are again everywhere for fall (behold, InStyle’s fall trend page above), I’m making that trend work for me by pairing sleek and sexy with drapey and autumnal. It’s equal parts biker and hippie, and since I’m neither it all works out.

29 October 2010, originally uploaded by academichic.

Tagged , , ,

§ 8 Responses to 29 October 2010"

1. Kat says:

E., I *love* this look. I’m a sucker for the mixture of textures and shapes, and all in a range of muted fall colors! Would love to find a scarf like that….

I just got my first leather jacket last year, and I quickly fell in love with its versatility and awesomeness. Also, I really love the layering in this outfit!

3. Liz Rosas says:

Wow he has excellent taste and you wear it well!

4. Sarah says:

I love this outfit! I have always loved leather jackets since my mom bought me my first one when I was a teenager. I am definitely not a biker chic type…but the new moto style is so cute! Your father-in-law has excellent taste! This one is cute and fitted and looks timeless as well.

5. It’s a beautiful jacket and I have proprietary pride, being half-Argentine and being told all my life that “our” leather is the best!! Seriously, though, kudos to your dad-in-law!

6. Christina says:

Good for him! It’s always nice to be pleasantly surprised by yourself hahaha. I picked up a faux one from H&M on sale last year and have worn it to death in the late spring and early fall. I just pulled out my shearling version for the chillier weather but they’re SO versatile!

7. Iris says:

I love the whole look! My BF’s parent’s got me a leather jacket once too but, I lost weight and it doesn’t fit anymore :( O well…

8. Elizabeth says:

Wow, love love love this look!