Fall Trend: Minimalism (and pink!)

October 28th, 2010 § 17 comments

Minimalism – Pink Stripes, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Silk knit tank top: Banana Republic
  • Belt: Betsey Johnson via Filene’s Basement
  • Skirt: gift via London Fashion Week-end
  • Wedges: L’Autre Chose via London Fashion Week-end

This outfit is my first attempt at the fall trend of “Minimalism.” Strangely, when E., A., and I read that Minimalism was “in” for the fall, the three of us, who are all trained in art history, wondered what exactly Minimalism in the context of style meant? For some reason it just didn’t make sense. The definition of Minimalism we had come to know was closer to the Encyclopedia Britannica version which states that Minimalism is:

Chiefly an American movement in the visual arts and music originating in New York City in the late 1960s and characterized by extreme simplicity of form and a literal, objective approach… Use of the hard edge, the simple form, and the linear rather than painterly approach was intended to emphasize two-dimensionality and to allow the viewer an immediate, purely visual response. They turned for inspiration to the impassive, quiet works of Barnett Newman and Ad Reinhardt, exponents of the color-field branch of Abstract Expressionist painting.

Canto XIV, Barnett Newman, 1964, originally uploaded by academichic.

True to this definition Stylebakery.com defined Minimalism as having “clean lines, sleek silhouettes, a lack of embellishment… these are the hallmarks of this season’s minimalism trend. With looks so understated, perfect tailoring and quality fabrics are a must.”

Minimalism by InStyle, originally uploaded by academichic.

I decided I needed to take the plunge with Minimalism. I wanted to include pink for day 4 of Blogging for Breast Cancer aWEARness, but I tried to keep the outfit as simple as possible. Similar to E’s note that her potential interview outfit was influenced by a Marc Rothko painting, the double lines in this skirt have always reminded me of Barnett Newman paintings (one pictured above). I feel so confident when wearing this skirt that it was actually what I wore to a very important grad school interview in NYC. Maybe it’s because my sister bought it for me at London Fashion Week-end (a perk of having a sister who lives full time in London!), but I feel more sophisticated and fashionable when I put this skirt on. To complete the “Minimalist” look I decided on a simple silk knit top, and matching wide patent leather belt and wedges. I think wearing the belt officially disqualifies me from being 100% on trend, but I’m not the one walking down the catwalk, so I styled this outfit for me.

Black Wedges, originally uploaded by academichic.

I didn’t wear this to school, but I did wear it out on the town for one of my rare nights off. Where I am in private secondary school-land, we just finished up Parents’ Weekend, so I took the opportunity to go out to a nice dinner with some friends and eschew the dinning hall food for a night. I liked this look and will definitely make another more daytime appropriate attempt at Minimalism. I’m already envisioning my nude fishnets, nude leather shoes, and grey sheath dress…. with no belt!

Minimalism, originally uploaded by academichic.

Remember it is still Breast Cancer Awareness month. Please see the links below and remember to do a self-exam and encourage the women in your life to do so as well. Prevention and early detection are key!

~L.

width="300"""

BreastCancerAwearness, originally uploaded by academichic.

Tagged , , , , , , ,

§ 17 Responses to Fall Trend: Minimalism (and pink!)"

1. That skirt is wonderful!!

2. Ashley J says:

I think that skirt is awesome!!!

3. Nerd Girl says:

Very nice! I think this is my favorite outfit of yours so far. Love the skirt!

4. izzabitz says:

I also love the skirt. This site has inspired me to search through my closet and put together pieces I wouldn’t ordinarily have considered. So thank you!

5. MONKEYFACE says:

Incredible skirt, love those shoes with it especially. Your next minimalist attempt sounds fantastic, too – can’t wait to see it!

6. m says:

Wasn’t it Bonnie Cashin who blazed a trail in fashion by painting her designs on canvases and then transferring the work verbatim (so to speak) to her clothing designs? This seems like a great idea not only for pushing yourself creatively when you dress, but also for explaining to your students the ways that art and fashion influence each other.

7. MarieP says:

Oh, I loooooove this! Perfect for your figure and your coloring and, well, it’s just lovely!

8. Elissa says:

You look fabulous! LOVE the skirt.

9. Lindsey P. says:

That skirt is fantastic! I love that you have such great pink accents to your wardrobe. I think I’ll start working more pink into my life. :)

10. Heidi says:

Very nice!

11. Becca says:

Those black wedges are wicked awesome.

12. Rebekah says:

I’m with Nerd Girl; I think this is your best look yet.

13. Meredith says:

Love the outfit.

Were you to bring it into the classroom, would you change anything?

14. Chelsea says:

I need those wedges on my feet riiiiiiight now!

15. Sara says:

I’d kill for that skirt! Its fabulous!! lol

16. [...] As predicted, I tried out the new Minimalism trend again with my grey sheath dress, nude fishnets, and (newly purchased) nude wedges. It was a little scary to step out of my apartment without the comfort of a belt cinched around my waist or the security of a sweater or scarf, and I did feel somewhat “naked” due to my dearth of accessories. However, this feeling eventually wore off, and I have got to say I ended up feeling like this was the most empowering outfit I have ever worn (a big claim, I know!). Perhaps because it was all ME. The sheath conformed to the natural curves of my body, the fishnets were subtle and added texture, and the wedges did their job of simultaneously blending in and boosting my stature and confidence. I felt like a woman. I felt strong. I felt singular. There were no layers. There was no “playing up” this or “playing down” that. This was all ME. [...]