25 October 2010 – Dress Pink!

October 24th, 2010 § 16 comments

Pink Dress, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Dress: Fashion Spy
  • Sweater: Cable & Gauge via Marshall’s
  • Shoes (Bronze): Giuseppe Zanotti Design via Filene’s Basement
  • Shoes (Grey): Madden Girl via DSW
  • Necklace: Accessorize (gift)

As I hope all of you know, October is Breast Cancer Awareness month, and thanks to A Working Mom’s Closet there are three dozen fashion and style bloggers (including the lovely La Historiadora de Moda from Fashionable Academics) participating in what Mom’s Closet has dubbed “Blogging for Breast Cancer aWEARness”. I have lost very dear friends and family members to this horrible disease as well as watched loved ones triumph over cancer. I know that cancer is something that touches each of our lives, and many of you have your own reasons for fighting for this cause. I’m doing this for Granny, Aunt Wiggy, Annette, and Candy.

We here at Academichic will be participating this week by wearing pink items and providing links for donations (Give a Free Mammogram!), information, and support ( The American Cancer Society and Susan G. Komen Foundation). Finding a cure for cancer is a cause very close to my heart, and I participate in the Relay for Life every year.

Pink Dress and Grey Shoes, originally uploaded by academichic.

This pink dress is very special to me because it is what I wore during my thesis defense and under my robes for the commencement ceremony last spring when I received my Masters. Pink is one of my favorite colors and this dress fits like a glove and has both silver-grey and bronze details, which makes accessorizing very flexible. I can wear grey shoes or bronze, gold jewelry or silver. Ultimately, this is one of my favorite dresses and associated with many happy (albeit stressful) occasions.

Pink, Silver, and Gold, originally uploaded by academichic.

I hope that you all have joined the fight against cancer this month and continue the fight until we find a cure! Have you been wearing pink? What events do you like to participate in to help fight cancer? Thanks for your help!

~ L.

BreastCancerAwearness, originally uploaded by academichic.

Tagged , , , , ,

§ 16 Responses to 25 October 2010 – Dress Pink!"

1. That is an absolutely GORGEOUS shade of pink!

2. Cynthia says:

What a great dress, that’s a perfect color on you. I never would have even thought to wear something like that to my defense…which is probably why I have no memory of what I wore to my defense!

3. Melissa says:

I am SO excited to have your participation in the challenge. You’ve all been such a great source of inspiration for me since I began reading your blog many months ago and it’s such an honor to have you join us.

Your dress is absolutely gorgeous! It truly does fit like a glove and you look beautiful in it.

I hope that one day I’ll be able to join in a Relay for Life – without, you know, passing out. :)

4. Johanna says:

Great challenge!

Could you give more information about where you got that wonderful dress? My best friend would die for it!

5. MONKEYFACE says:

Ooo, I’m such a sucker for colorblock! That dress would be stellar withOUT a purpose or history, but it’s truly spectacular with those included.

6. I’m so sorry to hear that you’ve lost loved ones to breast cancer!

The dress is lovely, and I’m so glad to see you blogging for awearness!

7. Cari says:

I don’t comment often, but I felt like I had to note what a wonderful shade of pink that is on you! You look fantastic!

8. Angeline says:

That dress is just gorgeous! I’m not normally a pink gal, but I would definitely rock that dress.

9. Frances Joy says:

I love that you’re participating in this challenge! The color on that dress is absolutely divine.

10. [...] started today out incredibly inspired by L.’s two great posts about Breast Cancer Awareness Month and A Working Mom’s Closet’s [...]

11. Soo says:

Really love your dress, the button detail is adorable!

12. Terri says:

Yes, breast cancer has touched many of our lives. My mother is a twenty year survivor.

the silver band on the hem of this dress is a beautiful touch.

13. Ms. Studious says:

That is a really pretty pink dress! Love the pink and grey combo!

14. [...] since I met L. I’ve been inspired and appreciative of her dedication to supporting breast cancer awareness and research, and I’m so glad that she prompted us to participate in this breast cancer aWEARness [...]

15. [...] decided I needed to take the plunge with Minimalism. I wanted to include pink for day 4 of Blogging for Breast Cancer aWEARness, but I tried to keep the outfit as simple as possible. [...]